Personal Statement Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxwelltheDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right nowadays, I am working on my personal statement. So i would like to know if it is worth paying Muhammed Ziauddin, the dental school coach to edit my grammar and everything $297?

Members don't see this ad.

Right nowadays, I am working on my personal statement. So i would like to know if it is worth paying Muhammed Ziauddin, the dental school coach to edit my grammar and everything $297?

I'm not familiar with him but that seems like a lot to pay for that. Get a your parents, a few friends/classmates, a professor, a dentist, etc to read/edit it. I'm sure someone on here would even read/edit it for you. I'd just get as many people as possible to read it and help you tweak it.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldnt unless he give money back guarantee if you dont get any interview. No point paying $300 for something that potentially have no return on your investment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my P.S. I would like to know if it is stellar or needs some work. Do as much modifications as possible. Thx.
dont post it on forum. just send it as private message to someone who is willing to read. if you are in school, go to writing center. In Writing center, tutors will read it as many times as you want and fix it for you. I would suggest don't pay $300 to this company. first try writing center if you are still in school, then try here on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just delete the PS you posted.
I don't know about how to delete the entire thread but you can delete the PS by editing your one post.
On the bottom of the box in your post you can see the "edit" option. Click edit and you can delete the statement. You can leave the rest of the info or change what you want to say.

Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to get dental school coach service?

Last edited:
I'd say go for it. It is always good to have an extra pair of eyes, not to mention that he is a professional. You can purchase the 1-edit package and upgrade from there if needed.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say go for it. It is always good to have an extra pair of eyes, not to mention that he is a professional. You can purchase the 1-edit package and upgrade from there if needed.

That's a good point. you don't have to automatically jump into the most expensive plan. if you already have something that you feel is fairly solid (been looked at by a few of your friends) then I would recommend getting at least the 1-edit package.

I personally used Zia for many of his services, include the PS. I bought the unlimited package for $297 and I feel it was totally worth it. He helped me from the beginning to the end. He helped me brainstorm for ideas, as well as gave a solid structure to follow that would flow well, and that dental school adcomms would like to see. And let me make something clear, he DOES NOT WRITE IT FOR YOU. I know some of those ghost writing services exist, but this is not one. What he does is polish what you already have into something extremely presentable.

He's a nice guy and easy to work with. I like him because he is also very blunt: which is what I need. If I show my PS to a friend, I mean they're probably gonna sugar coat a lot of things, and not tell me what I really need to hear. Zia will straight up tell you if something sucks; lol I know from personal experience. I mean, it's for our benefit. And at the end of the day, our goal is to have a stellar application, which he helps you do.

I also used him to help me generate a custom lists of schools to apply to since I have a somewhat unique background. I greatly appreciated that service as well.

I would definitely recommend him if you want to guarantee a solid Personal Statement, especially if you are low on time. I signed-up for Zia's unlimited package for PS and he was extremely helpful. I had previously written a PS draft (that took me so many hours) and I am so glad I didn't submit that. After one look he was able to tell me which parts to keep and which to re-write (which was most of it).

He helped me first through (multiple) brainstorming sessions through video chat, and many many draft edits. It was so nice to have a professional opinion on any ideas I had and as whatisit350 above said, Zia was straightforward so we didn't waste any time. I can now say without a doubt I finally have a personal statement that is a million times better than my original!

I personally would not reccomend him because you can get everything these "people" posted above for free.

Hey so on the same topic with the Dental School Coach, Zia, I recently did an interview with him on how to do well on the DAT. We got very detailed and specific. I feel like I was able to offer some great advice and tips and it may be beneficial to people on here who are currently in the same DAT struggle. Check it out, and let me know if it helps!

There are so many applicants with high GPA and DAT score, PS is what makes you stand out once you have the required scores. I bought Zia's three edition package a few days ego, my personal statement had so many flaws. I booked a Skype appointment and he helped me brainstorm ideas for different paragraphs, his feedbacks are highly detailed; in a week he helped me transform my personal statement from generic to a stunning story (I'm sure admission committee won't blink once they start reading haha). It has been one of the best investments I've made pertaining my application. Let me know if you have any questions, will be happy to help. :)

No I do not recommend his service purely on the basis that (1) you can receive free help here and (2) the personal statement is not nearly as important as you would think. Services like the one mentioned are the reason why the personal statement is not heavily weighed. Admission committees know people receive a spectrum of difference in help when writing the personal statement. Some applicants are the children of deans and receive immense help while others write the statement all on their own. Please read the below excerpt from Dr. Wofsy who is the Dean of Admissions at UCSF School of Medicine:

Dr. Wofsy's comments on the personal statement:
"People agonize over the personal statement more than they're worth. Very few people will get into medical [or dental] school because of what they wrote in the personal statement. Some people will get out of medical [or dental] school because of what they wrote in the personal statement. So be careful with the personal statement. And remember that it is more likely to hurt than help. Write a good personal statement that shows that you can string thoughts in a logical way and you can write clearly and that you can talk about something that is relevant to this experience of applying to medical school, whether it's some activity you've been involved in or why you want to be a doctor [or dentist], or who knows what. It's not that important. What's important is that it's clear. So I tell people not to take risks for the personal statement. It's not what's going to get you in. And we follow that approach in our evaluation, that is, it's not a major determining factor. We know that a lot of different things go into the writing of the personal statement. Some people are the child of an admissions dean and they show their draft to their father and their father says 'No, no, no. Let's do it this way.' And some people have no such help. So we try to recognize that those statements are coming from many different environments and that they probably how we should decide in the end."

Listen to the entire conversation on episode 407 of Radio Rounds at Radio Rounds - Radio Rounds - Free Podcast by Wright State University on Apple Podcasts

Companies like these are the reason why UCSF makes you write an essay during the interview. I'm sure schools have made a few mistakes of inviting students who had great writing and story telling ability in their personal statement only to find that it was heavily edited by others and that the student could not actually write or articulate their thoughts well come interview time. This is why the personal statement is not that critical. It is also why it is not worth spending >$300 on a service with an expected low return on investment. If they want to get to know you, they'll invite you. The decision to like and accept you will largely be based on the interview and not a single page of text. Remember, numbers get you the interview. The interview gets you the acceptance.

Yes! Yes. It is definitely worth to pay 297$! I'm working with him right now and he is amazing. He tries to know you more with asking questions and then helps you to right a very good personal statement. I would definitely suggest you go for it. It worths every penny you spend!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes! Yes. It is definitely worth to pay 297$! I'm working with him right now and he is amazing. He tries to know you more with asking questions and then helps you to right a very good personal statement. I would definitely suggest you go for it. It worths every penny you spend!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeahhhh...a bunch of accounts with single digit posts isn't suspicious at all

Reactions: 3 users
Though PS might not be the main factor that gets you a spot at a dental school, undeveloped PS with mistakes might negatively affect your chances of getting an interview since PS is an important part of AADSAS application. So, I personally thought that it is worth having a professional editor look at your PS.

When deciding which editing services to use, I looked into different professional editing services (I won’t mention specific names, but there are a few that’s “popular” among dental students); so when I sent an email to Zia, the Dental School Coach, about different questions I had regarding his service, he offered to do a 15 min meeting before I made a decision to work with him.

What stood out to me was that he meets with you through Skype to help you brainstorm before writing a PS and after he edits your PS to further explain his suggestions. Through these video sessions, he gets to know you better, which helps retain your writing and personality when he edits/polishes your PS. Plus, he is the only one who looks at your essay and makes edits, so you won’t have some random person giving you advice. He also gives you his number, so you can text him questions about your personal statement, the application, etc as they come up; he is very quick with responding to those, too.

I’m currently working on my 3rd edit of my PS with him and can see how much difference there is, especially in terms of content, between my original and the one I am hoping to submit soon. He not only checks for grammatical & syntax error but also pinpoints specific areas that need more elaboration/development to make you stand out from other applicants that may also have stellar grades and extracurriculars. And, if you need to delete things from your PS, he will be very blunt about them, which is important since you only have 4500 characters to show your strengths.

I’m very thankful for the ending guidance from Zia and will continue to work with him as I work on my secondaries!
Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions!

LOL okay Zia calm it down with the fake posts. There's no way you had that many loyal predent followers vouching for you all at once at 1 AM Eastern Time bruh.

Reactions: 2 users
It's funny how @UCSFx2017 writes the same thing in each personal statement post as if he got no creative ideas. Man, stop copy/pasting the same things.

It's funny how @UCSFx2017 writes the same thing in each personal statement post as if he got no creative ideas. Man, stop copy/pasting the same things.
Nah, UCSFx2017 is immunizing everyone from sketchy sales tactics before you get to them.

Last edited:
Radio Round's comments on other advice:
"The only way to get an interview is to make it through the numbers cut. If you can't make it through the numbers cut, none of this matters. None of this advice that we are giving today is going to apply to you because you gotta have the numbers to get that interview. And interviews aren't granted on personal statements. You have to make that initial cut...The personal statement only helps when the interviewer want to know what to talk about of if they have any questions, they can get it from that."

Listen to the entire conversation on episode 407 of Radio Rounds at Radio Rounds - Radio Rounds - Free Podcast by Wright State University on Apple Podcasts

Be careful out there guys. I personally would avoid spending big $$ on some shady PS "coach", but to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd first turn to professors, potentially some trusted people on SDN, and maybe like other college coaches that you know are good (if you're going to pay money). $300 is way too much IMO. I mean you want a good, really good PS but no matter how good ur PS, it's not gonna start making up for grades, scores, experiences.
You don't go to dental school cause you're a good writer. You go there if you're capable and willing to do the work to become a dentist

I am personally using Muhammed’s personal statement service. I tried writing a draft a few months ago but I didn’t even know how to start my personal statement. My school doesn’t have a pre-dental advisor and people working at career center have no idea how dental school personal statement is supposed to be like because they never applied for dental school! I heard about Dental Coach from my school’s pre-dental club and watched his webinar on how to write a personal statement. I found it very helpful and I was able to complete my draft. I still like to get help from him with grammar and editing my essay. He doesn’t write the personal statement for you for those who brought up UCSF thing. He just helps with brainstorming and reviewing your essay. Your personal statement is still your original ideas and you are the one who writes it! I took my draft to different pre-dental events and asked dental students to read it and give me some feedback. Most of them spent less than 10 minutes looking over my essay and they said it looks fine which wasn’t helpful at all. You also don’t want to send your essay to a random person on SDN to read because you don’t want to end up having someone stealing your ideas instead of helping you! I honestly would say get help from someone who has been through this before recently, someone who is experienced and is willing to spend the time to carefully read your statement and help with improving it.

He doesn’t write the personal statement for you for those who brought up UCSF thing. He just helps with brainstorming and reviewing your essay. Your personal statement is still your original ideas and you are the one who writes it! I took my draft to different pre-dental events and asked dental students to read it and give me some feedback. Most of them spent less than 10 minutes looking over my essay and they said it looks fine which wasn’t helpful at all. You also don’t want to send your essay to a random person on SDN to read because you don’t want to end up having someone stealing your ideas instead of helping you!

Shiieeettt....for $300 you better be writing my dam personal statement...Zia you're not even a dentist let alone a dental student...you're about as far removed from our profession as any random guy off the street. You underestimate how much I want to procrastinate and read other people's personal statement. Read the posts by UCSFx2017. The personal statement is not that important. Certainly not worth $300 for somebody to state the obvious.

Muhammed Zia's (The Dental School Coach) personal statement services were definitely worth every penny. As others have said, you don't need to purchase the unlimited package ($300) right out of the gate. I bought the 3 edit package and was greatly satisfied with the overhaul of the personal statement that I originally thought was ready to submit. Granted, paying for him to help doesn't mean that he will write the statement for you. It just was tremendously useful to have someone who had been through the process (5 dental school acceptances!) to guide me along the way. Personally, I decided to have the D.S.C. help me because I wanted my application to put me over the top when competing against other applicants.

Yeahhhh...a bunch of accounts with single digit posts isn't suspicious at all

It's weird how they keep doing it, even though they got called out and it's incredibly obvious...whoever he's paying to write these posts is just making it worse.

Muhammed Zia's (The Dental School Coach) personal statement services were definitely worth every penny. As others have said, you don't need to purchase the unlimited package ($300) right out of the gate. I bought the 3 edit package and was greatly satisfied with the overhaul of the personal statement that I originally thought was ready to submit. Granted, paying for him to help doesn't mean that he will write the statement for you. It just was tremendously useful to have someone who had been through the process (5 dental school acceptances!) to guide me along the way. Personally, I decided to have the D.S.C. help me because I wanted my application to put me over the top when competing against other applicants.

Where all have you been accepted to?