Personal Statement - Addressing Old Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReapPremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reapplying MD and DO after working for some years as a research assistant (LM ~70). I think I've had some substantial improvements in my volunteer work and in terms of publications. However, some of my coursework is beginning to get a little old... (5+ years) which is worrisome.

I feel that working in a science-related job and having a strong MCAT will hopefully be reassuring to a lot of programs. I realize some have a hard expiration date as well.

My question is... should I address this in my PS? I've scrapped and rewritten it and am on the verge of hitting the button. I've been coached my advisers to try and keep things positive, focusing on my motivation and accomplishments by most people. Though I have heard it recommended that people sometimes explain low grades or an old MCAT using a personal statement. Just a niggling feeling.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have a good answer ready in your interview (because they WILL ask) but don't call attention to it in your PS

Members don't see this ad :)
I address my 30 year old, more than abysmal GPA very very loosely in the last paragraph of my PS and even that is very indirect and fits within the narrative of the PS overall.

There are other places in the application/secondaries to address old GPA's...

It is worth describing your situation in the PS. If you get interviews and haven't addressed that concern, they will ask you about it during the interview. That happened in my case; they asked about gaps in my application during the interview. It was awkward and unexpected. Had I addressed the issues in my PS, I would have been more prepared for the interview. If not in your PS, I would recommend sending a letter/document explaining your situation.

As an update I received 5 interviews from DO schools so far. I chose not to address it, though I did have an answer prepared. It has not come up so far in interviews.

Appreciate the responses so far. Always best to be able to discuss you're weaknesses, I guess. Though I did not draw attention to them unless asked.

Reactions: 1 users
As an update I received 5 interviews from DO schools so far. I chose not to address it, though I did have an answer prepared. It has not come up so far in interviews.

Appreciate the responses so far. Always best to be able to discuss you're weaknesses, I guess. Though I did not draw attention to them unless asked.

That’s a perfect description. Don’t call attention to it unnecessarily, but have a good response prepared if asked in an interview.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk