This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello everyone! I am a 3rd year dental student at UPenn and I am considering doing a periodontics residency. I love all aspects of dentistry, but after shadowing Oral Surgeons, Endodontists, Periodontists and Prosthodontists, I have found a special interest in Periodontics.

I have a 3.78 GPA now and am ranked top 20% in my class. I have not yet taken the GRE, and don't want to as with any test, but will probably force myself to prepare and take it anyways. Is it needed?

My specific wants in a program is one which isn't necessarily research intensive, teaches harder procedures like Remus/Chin grafts and has a reasonable tuition (A stipend would be AMAZING). Maybe what I'm asking for doesn't exist, but is there any program that comes to mind? What are my chances of getting in?

Lastly, but not least, is the Periodontist market growing or slowing down? I have heard many perspectives from a number of people. I've heard some go from practice to practice with part times jobs and handle to bring in 200k+ While others bring in around 150k-175k. If anyone could shed some light on this I would be elated.

Thank you to anyone who can help me a bit! :)

-Fyz

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, it is always nice to read that someone is interested in perio! I would recommend externships in a few programs to end up with the ones that satisfy your career aspirations and will help you shape your own opinion. You can find a list here: U.S. Periodontal Programs | Perio.org
GRE is not necessary in almost all programs unless you want to pursue a PhD, however a brilliant grade would always draw attention ;) Staying on top of class and having a good GPA always contributes positively in earning interview invites.

I hope this helps

Thank you so much for the help! I have looked on perio.org for things regarding program length, tuition, etc. I was thinking of doing externships as well however, I posted this thread in hopes of shaping an overall idea about a few programs so that I can possibly move on and do externships after doing more research on that program.

Thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, it is always nice to read that someone is interested in perio! I would recommend externships in a few programs to end up with the ones that satisfy your career aspirations and will help you shape your own opinion. You can find a list here: U.S. Periodontal Programs | Perio.org
GRE is not necessary in almost all programs unless you want to pursue a PhD, however a brilliant grade would always draw attention ;) Staying on top of class and having a good GPA always contributes positively in earning interview invites.

I hope this helps

JPIL,
Thank you for the advice.
Would you please clarify more about externships? How externs can prove they are good candidates during externships?

I am a recent grad from Penn and I am curious how you know you are top 20% of class. (esp with 3.78 GPA?). Penn Dental ranks only Top 10 of the class and never rank the people outside of that range. With 3.78, you are not even close to top 20%. So I want to know how you can be sure with top 20% thing.
Hello everyone! I am a 3rd year dental student at UPenn and I am considering doing a periodontics residency. I love all aspects of dentistry, but after shadowing Oral Surgeons, Endodontists, Periodontists and Prosthodontists, I have found a special interest in Periodontics.

I have a 3.78 GPA now and am ranked top 20% in my class. I have not yet taken the GRE, and don't want to as with any test, but will probably force myself to prepare and take it anyways. Is it needed?

My specific wants in a program is one which isn't necessarily research intensive, teaches harder procedures like Remus/Chin grafts and has a reasonable tuition (A stipend would be AMAZING). Maybe what I'm asking for doesn't exist, but is there any program that comes to mind? What are my chances of getting in?

Lastly, but not least, is the Periodontist market growing or slowing down? I have heard many perspectives from a number of people. I've heard some go from practice to practice with part times jobs and handle to bring in 200k+ While others bring in around 150k-175k. If anyone could shed some light on this I would be elated.

-Fyz

if it makes you feel better I'm applying this year for perio (in about two weeks when the cycle opens). i'm right about the 50% from my graduating class (2014) but I did an internship in OMFS. I feel like perio is a good enough deal to come out of private practice to go back to school

I am a recent grad from Penn and I am curious how you know you are top 20% of class. (esp with 3.78 GPA?). Penn Dental ranks only Top 10 of the class and never rank the people outside of that range. With 3.78, you are not even close to top 20%. So I want to know how you can be sure with top 20% thing.

Class size at Penn C/O 2018 is 118 so top 20% is the top 23 students. Yes, Penn doesn't rank officially on top 20% however, I have asked some of my classmates and asked my profs about where I stand in the grand scheme of things and I, as preliminary and unofficial and inaccurate as it may be, came to the conclusion that I probably am in top 20%. I would not put that on my application, but here on SDN, I thought it may give you more of a way to help me out. My GPA now is now at 3.83 and I still believe I'm in top 20%. Sorry for the confusion, everyone...

Hope this clears it all up! :)

-Fyz

JPIL,
Thank you for the advice.
Would you please clarify more about externships? How externs can prove they are good candidates during externships?

Hello,
Well during the externship you get to know the faculty and the residents of the respective program. Consequently, you gain insight of the program and whether it suits you. Apart from this, in person interaction with faculty only helps to strengthen your position for future applications.
I hope the above is self explanatory.

Reactions: 1 users

-Fyz

You should have no problems getting interviews. The most competitive programs are obviously the ones that provide stipends. Those ones get quite competitive.

For programs offering ramus/chin grafts (more advanced) procedures, you want to look far Midwest - these programs generally have one OS attending and No OS residents - I know that St. Louis partakes in these procedures as well as Nebraska.

Medical college of Georgia (no masters required), UAB (no masters required), San Antonio and select VA programs around the country are rumored to be stellar. Place 200+ implants.

Other good programs like Eastman (no masters required) provides a 27k stipend and mayo offers about 60k stipend. Also pretty competitive.

VCU has no tuition and no stipend. UNC has a very good program. UNC and Ohio state have a stipend and tuition.

I know your a Penn student in philly, Penn's program runs 300k (nothing to write home about) and temples program is very good, but runs about 230k.

Median salary is generally around 280-300k. The biggest demand is for traveling in-house periodontist.

What was I looking for in a program: lots of surgical extractions, tons of implant placement (200 min) and implant related procedures (sinus lifts, grafts, esthetics), IV sedation certificate ---- best programs in my opinion have at least one OS and Pros attending with no OS or Pros residents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hello,
Well during the externship you get to know the faculty and the residents of the respective program. Consequently, you gain insight of the program and whether it suits you. Apart from this, in person interaction with faculty only helps to strengthen your position for future applications.
I hope the above is self explanatory.
Thank you for your reply!