Periodic Health Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltwire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with these PHA's? I am a third year HPSP wanting to set up my 4th year ADTs but the bulletin we received recently said it won't be approved until this is completed. Apparently it is a yearly thing? I haven't ever done this and no one has said anything. I have also asked a couple of my friends about it and they have not done it either. Should I be doing this yearly from now on that I know about it or is it required only before/during residency?

Also, related, I have had recent changes in my health (recent=last 6 months). Is there where I would report that information? Or am I required to do it through another forum as well.

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the deal with these PHA's? I am a third year HPSP wanting to set up my 4th year ADTs but the bulletin we received recently said it won't be approved until this is completed. Apparently it is a yearly thing? I haven't ever done this and no one has said anything. I have also asked a couple of my friends about it and they have not done it either. Should I be doing this yearly from now on that I know about it or is it required only before/during residency?

Also, related, I have had recent changes in my health (recent=last 6 months). Is there where I would report that information? Or am I required to do it through another forum as well.

Thanks everyone.

at first i was like "WTF" but then I found it on AKO. took not but a few minutes to fill out

Thanks everyone.

odd...i havent had to do one at all during my HPSP time...im a 4th year and did 3 audition rotations this past fall

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably the best thing would be to contact the HPSP people directly to ask them. It may be branch specific. For the Navy at least this would be a new requirement, so please post back on your findings. I don't see how it would be possible for reservists to get PHAs if they don't access to care directly from the military unless they are active.

Probably the best thing would be to contact the HPSP people directly to ask them. It may be branch specific. For the Navy at least this would be a new requirement, so please post back on your findings. I don't see how it would be possible for reservists to get PHAs if they don't access to care directly from the military unless they are active.

Reservists have access for PHAs. It is usually coordinated through a NOSC for Navy types

I filled out the form and then called MEDPROS (as is suggested on the Army MODS website). They set me up with an appointment for dentist and physician (to include vision, hearing and hep A vaccine) all free. They even call up providers in the area and set up the appointment then call you back at a later time to confirm it so you literally don't have to do anything. They told me my last exam was in January 2010 (which I can only assume is my MEPS exam) and had no idea why I had not been contacted to update the information. It is supposed to be done yearly. Even for those of us still at school in IRR.

Seems to me like it was one of those things that if I had said and done nothing no one would have been the wiser but now that I started the process I need to go and get all this stuff done. Some of my buddies graduating HPSP this year said they have not done it either and were still approved for their ADTs this past summer. I guess if you want to get a physical exam and dental exam (which I sure as hell haven't since I got off of my parents insurance) it is a great way to get one that is covered. If not it doesn't seem to affect placement for anything.

And this was in a bulletin for the Army. I am unsure if other branches are required this.

Last edited:
Wanted to update this thread quickly and follow-up with a question. Had a few medical issues that came up at a recent visit to general practitioner. I wanted to get checked out before I completed my PHA appointments.

1) Latent Tb infection from a positive ppd
2) GERD associated with dysphagia and esophagitis (waiting to get an endoscopy done). I am taking PPIs pretty much long-term now. Too much coffee from studying I suppose.
3) Exercise induced/moderate persistent asthma (hasn't been a problem for years and was "left out" of my HPSP forms. I've had some recent problems running in the cold/exercising and being outside with pollens. I'm ok on long-acting inhaled steroids with the occasional oral steroid course for exacerbations)c

Question to you guys was should I bring this up at my PHA and on the forms I need to fill out? Is this going to be a problem for HPSP? Or should I just leave it all out and continue follow-up care with my doctor now? I am thinking of not mentioning it on any forms so it doesn't raise any concern.

Anyone have experience with similar medical conditions coming up? Thanks guys.

Wanted to update this thread quickly and follow-up with a question. Had a few medical issues that came up at a recent visit to general practitioner. I wanted to get checked out before I completed my PHA appointments.

1) Latent Tb infection from a positive ppd
2) GERD associated with dysphagia and esophagitis (waiting to get an endoscopy done). I am taking PPIs pretty much long-term now. Too much coffee from studying I suppose.
3) Exercise induced/moderate persistent asthma (hasn't been a problem for years and was "left out" of my HPSP forms. I've had some recent problems running in the cold/exercising and being outside with pollens. I'm ok on long-acting inhaled steroids with the occasional oral steroid course for exacerbations)c

Question to you guys was should I bring this up at my PHA and on the forms I need to fill out? Is this going to be a problem for HPSP? Or should I just leave it all out and continue follow-up care with my doctor now? I am thinking of not mentioning it on any forms so it doesn't raise any concern.

Anyone have experience with similar medical conditions coming up? Thanks guys.

You can bring them up. Should not be a real problem. Asthma is biggest problem. Can you run 3 miles per year? That is the biggest issue.