This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eshtadental

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for application cycle of summer of 2017, for programs starting 2018.

I am getting ready to apply and any advice is appreciated.

I'll share the info I gathered so far:
(info based on estimates and generalizations for summarization)
Applicants apply for 5-10 programs out of a total of about 50 programs in the US.
All perio programs are 3 years long.
Tuition ranges from $0-$80,000 a year with a mean of about$20,000/year.
Some programs offer stipends ($5000-40k/yr), however, these programs are the most competitive.
Most applicants are students or new graduates, with research experience and have attended 1 week Perio externships.

Please add your advice to get accepted.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not 4 year OMFS with broader scope?

Bec its a matter of taste I guess. In perio, you do a few procedures really well. I think its the future.

Hi, which programs are you looking for? International applicant or U.S. graduate?

What do you mean by you think "it's the future"?
Perio is the future means: periodontists are the experts in implant placement while promoting final esthetics. Add the ageing population thus a higher patient pool needing to save their old teeth. And when they clone teeth, guess who will be placing the clones...

Hi, which programs are you looking for? International applicant or U.S. graduate?
I'm trying to apply for the less expensive programs. International grad but practicing in the US.
Are you applying too? if so, how many and whats your priority?

Perio is the future means: periodontists are the experts in implant placement while promoting final esthetics. Add the ageing population thus a higher patient pool needing to save their old teeth. And when they clone teeth, guess who will be placing the clones...
?? Everyone and their mother is placing implants nowadays. Some Dental school graduates place 40 before graduating, and then there's dozens of implants CE both nationally and internationally. And also, surgeons place implants as well, arguably better trained too. Finally, prosthodontists are probably better trained in the implant restoration, not periodontists.

?? Everyone and their mother is placing implants nowadays. Some Dental school graduates place 40 before graduating, and then there's dozens of implants CE both nationally and internationally. And also, surgeons place implants as well, arguably better trained too. Finally, prosthodontists are probably better trained in the implant restoration, not periodontists.
There is no point arguing about a prediction though. It is just my opinion. maybe right or wrong.

Bump.

If there are any current perio residents out there (or any students that have recently gained admission to a periodontal residency), could you please shed some light on how the application process is? I've looked at other forums asking about GPA, class rank etc. but it always ends up getting off topic.

I will be applying to periodontal residencies this upcoming cycle as well and any guidance is appreciated.
Tips on:
- GPA
- Research
- ECs
- Reference Letters
- Timeline (when applications are due generally, is it rolling admission etc)

Hey there,

Did anyone take the GRE test? Whats scores did u get? What scores are they looking for?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not take some of those comments seriously, for all I know you may be the one applying to perio residency. I think this is a good thread & I would appreciate more informative comments such as those of OP.

Hey there,

Did anyone take the GRE test? Whats scores did u get? What scores are they looking for?

Thanks

I didn't take the GRE... I WAS considering taking the ADAT however. I still have to call residency program directors to see if they accept/require the ADAT for this upcoming application cycle.

you don't the need GRE , plus the ADAT is optional for program directors to use. a lot of them are sceptical about it

Hi, I am starting my residency at OSU in the summer. I would say that externships are quite important so as to see the aspects of a program prior to application/interview. Overall, grades and research (especially in combined or research focused) programs matter. Most value work experience, some may not. The GRE, if very good (above 75%) then of course straightens your position, but interview matters most! They always look for good candidates that can fit in well with the rest of the residents as personalities!
I am glad to answer more questions if necessary :)

Aging populations = more medical comorbidities => medically-trained surgeons should manage ;)

Bump.

If there are any current perio residents out there (or any students that have recently gained admission to a periodontal residency), could you please shed some light on how the application process is? I've looked at other forums asking about GPA, class rank etc. but it always ends up getting off topic.

I will be applying to periodontal residencies this upcoming cycle as well and any guidance is appreciated.
Tips on:
- GPA
- Research
- ECs
- Reference Letters
- Timeline (when applications are due generally, is it rolling admission etc)

Hi there, and good luck on the upcoming application cycle! I'll be starting my residency this summer.

The OP mentioned something about applying to 5-10 programs. Perio programs seem to be getting more competitive to get into so I might advise considering applying to more.

GPA, research, EC's, and reference letters are all important. I didn't have much research under my belt and I'm sure it hurt me, but I tried to excel in other categories. My GPA was all right and I believe my saving grace was that I had some incredible reference letters from periodontists who are well-known in the perio community, and I worked with them enough so that they could write a truly personal letter.

Timeline is an interesting one because things have changed a bit when it comes to perio acceptance. A number of schools used to participate in an agreement to only send out acceptances on a certain date. That, however, has gotten thrown out the window so what we'll probably see in upcoming years is that interviews and acceptances get pushed earlier and earlier. As far as when applications are due, the better question would be when applications open. Get them in as soon as you can; you don't want to be at the bottom of the pile. ADEA pass, which many schools use for their application submissions, opens sometime in Spring (this year was May 18th I believe). Don't only rely on ADEA pass though as many great programs don't use it and require a direct submission, which you can get in as early as they'll let you (I'd contact the school to see what they think).

It's been said earlier, but externships are golden. They show a lot of interest and are a great foot in the door. Each program I externed at gave me an interview.

Hey there,

Thanks

Some schools do require the GRE but under certain conditions. Most don't. CO, for example, required it from me because my school doesn't have an official ranking system. NB "strongly encouraged it," and seeing as how they were one of my favorite programs I went ahead and took it. I can't remember my exact scores but I got in the 94th percentile on English, 90th percentile on Math, and scored a 5 on the written. I felt like adding those numbers to my name gave programs another positive thing to judge me by so I think it was worth it for me, but your mileage may vary. It really pays to find out what your programs of interest want and I'm sure most other applicants would tell you not to bother with it.

Hi there, and good luck on the upcoming application cycle! I'll be starting my residency this summer.

The OP mentioned something about applying to 5-10 programs. Perio programs seem to be getting more competitive to get into so I might advise considering applying to more.

GPA, research, EC's, and reference letters are all important. I didn't have much research under my belt and I'm sure it hurt me, but I tried to excel in other categories. My GPA was all right and I believe my saving grace was that I had some incredible reference letters from periodontists who are well-known in the perio community, and I worked with them enough so that they could write a truly personal letter.

Timeline is an interesting one because things have changed a bit when it comes to perio acceptance. A number of schools used to participate in an agreement to only send out acceptances on a certain date. That, however, has gotten thrown out the window so what we'll probably see in upcoming years is that interviews and acceptances get pushed earlier and earlier. As far as when applications are due, the better question would be when applications open. Get them in as soon as you can; you don't want to be at the bottom of the pile. ADEA pass, which many schools use for their application submissions, opens sometime in Spring (this year was May 18th I believe). Don't only rely on ADEA pass though as many great programs don't use it and require a direct submission, which you can get in as early as they'll let you (I'd contact the school to see what they think).

It's been said earlier, but externships are golden. They show a lot of interest and are a great foot in the door. Each program I externed at gave me an interview.

Some schools do require the GRE but under certain conditions. Most don't. CO, for example, required it from me because my school doesn't have an official ranking system. NB "strongly encouraged it," and seeing as how they were one of my favorite programs I went ahead and took it. I can't remember my exact scores but I got in the 94th percentile on English, 90th percentile on Math, and scored a 5 on the written. I felt like adding those numbers to my name gave programs another positive thing to judge me by so I think it was worth it for me, but your mileage may vary. It really pays to find out what your programs of interest want and I'm sure most other applicants would tell you not to bother with it.
----------------

Thanks a lot for the reply and details given.
Any more people want to share their GRE scores plz.
I need to know if I should improve my score. Math: 157, Verbal: 152.

Thx

What kind of GPA or class rank would make one competitive for Perio?

Top half of the class probably. Perio is not very competitive. If you're from the US and appear to be a normal human you'll be a shoe in.

I would say more like top 1/3 is competitive. There are perio programs that are more competitive than others. I would by no means say that being in the top half and appearing normal is considered a shoo in.

Top half..I know someone right at 50% of class who got into state program. Not very competitive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Top half..I know someone right at 50% of class who got into state program. Not very competitive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know someone in my class who barely passed his classes, no joke, and he got into omfs. For any specialty program, grades matter but there are other things that come into play like who you know at the program, your references, etc.

I agree. And with this growing diabetes epidemic, more referring to those periodontists to help control those HbA1c's!! A lot of research in perio going on in inflammation management, genetics, personalized periodontal medicine, molecular ecology of pathogens in the oral cavity -- a lot of really cool, wicked, exciting stuff. And the way we will continue to understand all of this new stuff and the etiologies behind periodontal disease will hopefully bring about more new, non-invasive, novel therapeutics and treatment modalities. Will help all dental practitioners be less procedure-based in the future, more etiology and diagnosis driven, and disrupt this big old medical-industrial complex we've got going. No more single-tooth dentistry, but instead a focus on treating the why. Reduce medical costs in the long-run. Real preventive dentistry.

I have a question regarding the application deadline and the interview dates. If a program has a deadline on the 1st of August and my application is to be completed by the 20th of July, do I have a chance of getting an IV? And if you know some programs that will not send me IV if my application is complete on the 20th of July, please add the name of it, so that I do not pay for nothing. Thank you.

I have a question regarding the application deadline and the interview dates. If a program has a deadline on the 1st of August and my application is to be completed by the 20th of July, do I have a chance of getting an IV? And if you know some programs that will not send me IV if my application is complete on the 20th of July, please add the name of it, so that I do not pay for nothing. Thank you.

It seems like most programs are participating in MATCH this year, not rolling admissions like they did in the past. So if it's a MATCH program and as long as everything is in by the deadline I would assume they will still consider your application.

It seems like most programs are participating in MATCH this year, not rolling admissions like they did in the past. So if it's a MATCH program and as long as everything is in by the deadline I would assume they will still consider your application.
Yeah a lot of 'em, if not most of them are participating in MATCH. I think Tufts isn't, however.

Has any school started interviews?

How exactly does MATCH work? I've been asking around and I think I have a good grasp on what it is, but I would like some more clarity.

Thanks!

-Fyz

Looks like the list has started: Someone posted in Perio 2018 (separate thread) that he or she was invited for interview to Ohio State as well:

UIC: Interview invites sent 7/10/17
Ohio State University invite sent 7/10/17

Guys any news on UNC yet ?
and did anyone apply to Louisville, are we to send in the supplementary fee straight away or wait for a response from college ?

Looks like the list has started: Someone posted in Perio 2018 (separate thread) that he or she was invited for interview to Ohio State as well:

UIC: Interview invites sent 7/10/17
Ohio State University invite sent 7/10/17
even I got an invite from Ohio n UIC last week on 14 th

Guys any news on UNC yet ?
and did anyone apply to Louisville, are we to send in the supplementary fee straight away or wait for a response from college ?

I did apply to UNC and Louisville but no email from them yet

Last edited:
I did apply to UNC and Louisville but no email from them yet
Even I haven't heard anything. I contacted UNC n they asked me to send in official TOEFL score so I sent them last week , confirm with them if u r also required to send in as well , n btw did u send in 25 dollar check to Louisville or are you waiting for a reply from them ?

Even I haven't heard anything. I contacted UNC n they asked me to send in official TOEFL score so I sent them last week , confirm with them if u r also required to send in as well , n btw did u send in 25 dollar check to Louisville or are you waiting for a reply from them ?

I mailed them a check last week. But after that no response

UNC ...has not asked me for a TOEFL score ...may be because I graduated from school here...Not sure...Will email them right away

I mailed them a check last week. But after that no response

UNC ...has not asked me for a TOEFL score ...may be because I graduated from school here...Not sure...Will email them right away
I'm an international applicant so TOEFL is a requirement . Its not a requirement for u, anyways no harm in asking them.

Anybody heard from any of the following programs ?
  1. UT Houston
  2. UNC
  3. University of Washington
  4. UCSF
  5. Louisville

Looks like last year these programs had already sent interview invites..not sure if they are taking their time because of MATCH participation?

Even the deadlines have been extended like Louisville is now Sept 15 th deadline , so I feel they will be sending invites late as match results are out only on Dec 1.

Anybody heard from any of the following programs ?
  1. UT Houston
  2. UNC
  3. University of Washington
  4. UCSF
  5. Louisville

Looks like last year these programs had already sent interview invites..not sure if they are taking their time because of MATCH participation?
For Houston did u send in ADAT its put as a requirement on website? or is it a mistake on the website?

I spoke to a perio director and he said his program (which is using MATCH) is not interviewing until September. I assume most MATCH programs are not interviewing until September as well.

I spoke to a perio director and he said his program (which is using MATCH) is not interviewing until September. I assume most MATCH programs are not interviewing until September as well.

Hi Kmdperio, which director did you contact?

Last edited: