Perfusion, Midwestern. 2016 Cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from Midwestern yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was interview process like and do you remember a few that was asked?

Anyone been accepted to LIU Perfusion 2016? I had interview yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I had my interview on Dec. 2, 2015 along with 3 other candidates. After consulting with my fellow candidates, I learned that we were all accepted into Midwestern perfusion program.

Hi, I am considering applying to the program in 2017. My GPA is only a 3.07. Do you think I can be accepted with this GPA?

Hey Bodasapha999,

I was in your situation not long ago. When I graduated from undergrad, I only had 4 credit hours of anatomy and physiology. On my interview with Midwestern back in November, I met with the admission counselor about this situation and whether or not I needed to take 2 more credit hours of anatomy and physiology to meet the requirement, but fortunately, my biochem class fulfilled the last two credit hours. Just some insight on prereq requirements. Hope you find this useful!

Hi , did you find out if you were accepted into the program!? I am rooting for you over here. ✌️

Anyone been accepted to LIU Perfusion 2016? I had interview yesterday.

Hey I'm going to be applying to LIU CVP program. If you don't mind can you tell me your Gpa and certifications? Im very nervous and i want to have a better idea of what i should be doing to better my chances. At the moment my gpa is 3.15, I have an EMT and CPR certification. I am going to gain a perfusionist shadowing experience soon and I will be taking Hematology and pathophysiology in Fall semester and hopefully get an A to stand out. Can you please tell me you credentials when applying for the program? thank you

Hey I'm going to be applying to LIU CVP program. If you don't mind can you tell me your Gpa and certifications? Im very nervous and i want to have a better idea of what i should be doing to better my chances. At the moment my gpa is 3.15, I have an EMT and CPR certification. I am going to gain a perfusionist shadowing experience soon and I will be taking Hematology and pathophysiology in Fall semester and hopefully get an A to stand out. Can you please tell me you credentials when applying for the program? thank you

Hey how did your interview go? Out of curiosity, where did you gain your perfusionist shadowing? I was under the impression that NY state did not allow shadowing in the OR due to HIPPA violations

Hey how did your interview go? Out of curiosity, where did you gain your perfusionist shadowing? I was under the impression that NY state did not allow shadowing in the OR due to HIPPA violations

I actually just submitted my application a few weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. It is actually near impossible to get a shadowing experience in NY. I was fortunate enough to find the right perfusionist. He advised me to first volunteer at a hospital to get medical clearance. After volunteering abit, you can possibly shadow, given the chief surgeon allows it. It took me like 4-5 months after finding the perfusionist to be able to shadow.

Hello! Did anyone apply to MIDWESTERN program for 2017 start year? I just submitted my application a week ago. They said that there are 25 seats left when I last spoke to them on the phone.

Hey! My application was finalized about 2 weeks ago...haven't heard anything back yet. Getting a little nervous, especially hearing that they have filled some spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just submitted my application a few weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. It is actually near impossible to get a shadowing experience in NY. I was fortunate enough to find the right perfusionist. He advised me to first volunteer at a hospital to get medical clearance. After volunteering abit, you can possibly shadow, given the chief surgeon allows it. It took me like 4-5 months after finding the perfusionist to be able to shadow.

Hi! did you hear back from Midwestern or LIU yet?

Hey! My application was finalized about 2 weeks ago...haven't heard anything back yet. Getting a little nervous, especially hearing that they have filled some spots.

I'm still waiting for one of my LORs, but they should have received it by now. Did you try to call them?

Hello! Did anyone apply to MIDWESTERN program for 2017 start year? I just submitted my application a week ago. They said that there are 25 seats left when I last spoke to them on the phone.

Hi, I'm applying for the 2017 year as well. I'm still waiting on one LOR but hoping on getting everything sent in the next couple of weeks. Do you know how quickly spots fill up? Do they keep spots open after the June deadline?

I'm still waiting for one of my LORs, but they should have received it by now. Did you try to call them?

I haven't attempted to contact them. I think I am going to this week...just to get an idea of how many spots they have remaining.

Hi, I'm applying for the 2017 year as well. I'm still waiting on one LOR but hoping on getting everything sent in the next couple of weeks. Do you know how quickly spots fill up? Do they keep spots open after the June deadline?

Last year I had a LOR take much longer than I anticipated, so my application was complete around early April. They had three remaining spots at that time. I think the key is as early as possible.

Hi! did you hear back from Midwestern or LIU

I actually had an interview at LIU about 2-3 weeks ago and they haven't gotten back to me since then. It was a 45 minute interview and they were very serious throughout the interview and definitely don't want people pursuing this field for the money. I didn't apply to midwestern because I live in New York and don't really want to move all the way to Arizona. I'm waiting for here back from quinnipiac and rush now. Good luck with your application.

I haven't attempted to contact them. I think I am going to this week...just to get an idea of how many spots they have remaining.

Last year I had a LOR take much longer than I anticipated, so my application was complete around early April. They had three remaining spots at that time. I think the key is as early as possible.

Thanks for the info. Did you get an interview last year or know what the process is like there? Also how importantly do they consider prior shadowing experience? It's been difficult finding hospitals that allow this.

I actually had an interview at LIU about 2-3 weeks ago and they haven't gotten back to me since then. It was a 45 minute interview and they were very serious throughout the interview and definitely don't want people pursuing this field for the money. I didn't apply to midwestern because I live in New York and don't really want to move all the way to Arizona. I'm waiting for here back from quinnipiac and rush now. Good luck with your application.

Last edited:
Hey, I contacted and asked Midwestern about my application again today. The admission administrator was able to transfer me to a counselor and she told me that they reviewed my application but did not make any decision yet. I asked what is holding them back and she said it's because of my science GPA, 3.0, and overall GPA, 3.19, wasn't comparable to last year cohort, 3.28 and 3.4, respectively. I'm really bummed out right now but I just signed up for 3 science courses this semester, and will contact them again. I have the experience as an OR assistant and was able to shadow several on pump cases while working. *sigh* I just have to keep trying and move forward. Let me know about your progress!

I'm planning to get my application to LIU by the end of the month, hopefully they'll grant me an interview. Quick question, when you applied did you indicate any where in your application that you're planning to take sciences courses before submitting it? Thank you.

I didn't mention that nor did I end up taking any. If you decide to take more science courses. You should take courses that you will be taking once you are in the program to show you are capable of handling them.

Hello, guys I'm applying to the Midwestern Program as well, I am also waiting on a letter of recommendation. Do you think I got a shot with a 3.5 gpa? Is it too late in this current application cycle? It's been my dream to go into perfusion school, can anyone who got in tell me more on what it is like in the program?

I also wanted to apply, but life events held me up for a year and everything so I was unable hopefully I can get in this cycle, it would mean everything for me.

What's the update so far for you guys, anyone got in this year?? I wish you all the best as well, I think we can all make it!

Hello? Anyone here would like some feedback, if that's not too much to ask. Anyone considering any other schools? I'm wondering if I'm too late...also worried if I got a chance of interview.

Would love to hear from you guys! Where are you guys all at?

Last edited:
Hey guys! I sent in my applications to Vanderbilt and MUSC and am currently waiting to hear back from them. Did anyone else apply to these schools or just Midwestern?

Hey guys! I sent in my applications to Vanderbilt and MUSC and am currently waiting to hear back from them. Did anyone else apply to these schools or just Midwestern?
Hello, I'm planning to apply to Vanderbilt soon, as I get my LOR's in a packet. Might being doing MUSC, but a late application... So worried.

Hello, I'm planning to apply to Vanderbilt soon, as I get my LOR's in a packet. Might being doing MUSC, but a late application... So worried.

I would put in an application to MUSC anyways! Their program is amazing, I went and toured the facility and met the instructor! They also are accepting 24 students this year.

I would put in an application to MUSC anyways! Their program is amazing, I went and toured the facility and met the instructor! They also are accepting 24 students this year.
I got an interview invite for midwestern! I'm super excited and nervous...Is there anyone here who can give me advice on what to expect?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone able to share their experience, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

I got an interview invite for midwestern! I'm super excited and nervous...Is there anyone here who can give me advice on what to expect?

How soon after you submitted everything did they contact you for an interview?

I think it pretty fast, prob within a week or so.
How soon after you submitted everything did they contact you for an interview?

Good luck bubbles07! When is your interview? it looks like Midwestern cares a lot about the GPA. I know someone who said that the school didn't get back to them until 4 months after the application was finalized.

Hey Guys, finally heard back from Midwestern. Have an interview early next week. My original application was finalized on 11/22/16, so it did take some time to get the ball rolling. I live in MN so it will be a nice little trip to enjoy some warm weather.

Good luck bubbles07! When is your interview? it looks like Midwestern cares a lot about the GPA. I know someone who said that the school didn't get back to them until 4 months after the application was finalized.
In a few weeks, thanks! Warm regards, to you too!

Hey Guys, finally heard back from Midwestern. Have an interview early next week. My original application was finalized on 11/22/16, so it did take some time to get the ball rolling. I live in MN so it will be a nice little trip to enjoy some warm weather.
Nice job! Juno please let me know how it goes as well, if you can pretty nervous for mine as well.

I got an interview last month from four different perfusion schools, including Midwestern.
Good luck everyone!

Did anyone get an interview from Quinnipiac University? I have an interview in about a week, and was hoping to ask questions from someone that went there

Hello All,
I just received an interview for Midwestern's program. I'm trying to find any tips or information about their interview process to help calm my nerves. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Hello All,
I just received an interview for Midwestern's program. I'm trying to find any tips or information about their interview process to help calm my nerves. Does anyone have any suggestions??
I'll get back to you soon Jam I'm having mine's very soon.

Hello!
I found out yesterday I have an interview at MUSC!
I'm still waiting to hear from Iowa, Midwestern, Rush, and Quinnipiac. Has anyone else applied to Iowa?

Hello!
I found out yesterday I have an interview at MUSC!
I'm still waiting to hear from Iowa, Midwestern, Rush, and Quinnipiac. Has anyone else applied to Iowa?
That's amazing!

That's amazing!
hey i was wondering if you have went to your interview yet and what gpa did you have i applied there about a week or two ago. Do you have any other suggestions on which other colleges to apply to?

hey i was wondering if you have went to your interview yet and what gpa did you have i applied there about a week or two ago. Do you have any other suggestions on which other colleges to apply to?
Will do! I will pm you some info and my experience.

Hey everyone,

It's great to hear that everyone is interested and excited about applying to Midwestern. I just thought I should give you guys a little feedback on my interview process and the program in general, something I wish I had when I applied. Last year, I applied to Midwestern, along with a few other programs ( i.e MUSC, SUNY, RUSH, and Quinnipiac) in the perfusion world. In the end, I ended up choosing Midwestern over all the other programs primarily because I personally felt Midwestern's curriculum gave me the best opportunity to succeed and it was a Masters instead of a Bachelor. As an advice, I would strongly consider going to a program that have simulators that mimic a patient's vitals. These simulators are designed to simulate a patient, before, during, and after bypass. As a student finishing up my second quarter, I truly felt these simulators are the best practicing tool to becoming a successful perfusion, clinically.

In regards to the interview process, my best advice to you guys is to be yourself and truly show them your passion for the field of perfusion. Clinical experiences are helpful, but not required. Strong academics and GPA will grant you the interview but your passion will the deciding factor into this program. In regards to the program, I definitely felt first quarter was the most difficult for me, I had to find a balance between practicing in lab and studying for classes. They throw a lot at you at once, exams are weekly, but the professors here are amazing, you can truly tell they are passionate about teaching and helping the next potential generation of perfusionists. I am currently studying for finals for second quarter. I thought this was a helpful way to procrastinate for finals. I wish everyone the best of luck in their pursuit of becoming perfusionists. Hope this was helpful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

It's great to hear that everyone is interested and excited about applying to Midwestern. I just thought I should give you guys a little feedback on my interview process and the program in general, something I wish I had when I applied. Last year, I applied to Midwestern, along with a few other programs ( i.e MUSC, SUNY, RUSH, and Quinnipiac) in the perfusion world. In the end, I ended up choosing Midwestern over all the other programs primarily because I personally felt Midwestern's curriculum gave me the best opportunity to succeed and it was a Masters instead of a Bachelor. Their califia simulators were one of the main reason why I felt their curriculum was far superior than the others. These simulators are un-comparable to any other simulators out there, they are designed to simulate a patient, before, during, and after bypass. As a student finishing up my second quarter, I truly felt these simulators are the best practicing tool to becoming a successful perfusion, clinically.

In regards to the interview process, my best advice to you guys is to be yourself and truly show them your passion for the field of perfusion. Clinical experiences are helpful, but not required. Strong academics and GPA will grant you the interview but your passion will the deciding factor into this program. In regards to the program, I definitely felt first quarter was the most difficult for me, I had to find a balance between practicing in lab and studying for classes. They throw a lot at you at once, exams are weekly, but the professors here are amazing, you can truly tell they are passionate about teaching and helping the next potential generation of perfusionists. I am currently studying for finals for second quarter. I thought this was a helpful way to procrastinate for finals. I wish everyone the best of luck in their pursuit of becoming perfusionists. Hope this was helpful!

Hey CardiacDog89! I also have some insight for the people who live out East who want to experience the same as Midwestern. MUSC is actually a Master's program now and has both the califia simulator and also a Orpheus simulator! Both schools are wonderful and I am glad you are enjoying Midwestern! I am excited yet nervous for my interview on Friday but thank you for your insight on the interviews!

Good luck guys and hopefully it all works out for all of you! If not see what you can do too improve! I still got a lot to learn, been pretty exhausted and busy, but thanks a lot guys for all your help and hopefully you find out what school and stuff works for you.