Perfusion, Midwestern. 2016 Cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perfusionist2be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Since there is not anything about the cardiovascular science online. I thought that I might start a thread for those who are applying for the 2016 cycle.

I applied 10 days ago and now I am waiting to hear from them for an interview.

Has anyone applied to the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm sure you've heard back by now. I applied around the same time as you and have an interview set up for Oct 28th. Where are you at in the process now?

I plan to apply to this program here very shortly. Im interested in hearing both of your experiences. Also wanted to see how much shadowing experience you two have put in. I hope to at least put about 40 hours of shadow experience under my belt before I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also did either of you take the GRE or MCAT for this program?

I will be sure to update after my interview Wednesday. I have done lots of shadowing in other fields, but I've only shadowed one case with a perfusionist. I took the MCAT but not for this program, I was planning med school before.

Sounds great, I managed to put in an hour so far of shadowing and like I said, I wanted to put some more in before appealing. I haven't shadowed anybody else in any other professions though. I took the GRE but it was for the sake of a couple PhD programs I didn't get accepted for after all. I was told that neither are required for this program though during an academic advisement appointment. I had met with the director of the program upon setting up an appointment with an academic advisor to discuss the criteria for the program and getting accepted. Stuff like pre reqs, and other requirements. Edward Evans, the director, was in the office incidentally at the same time so I got to pick his brains a bit about the profession and the masters program. He is very nice and easy to talk to. Very well reserved yet not intimidating. I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with him and getting a sound perspective on everything I asked about. I wish you luck on the interview, I'm sure you'll do great. Keep me posted! Hopefully I'll be in line next to get in the hot seat. Cheers!

I had my interview last Wednesday. I was the only interviewee there that day so it was a little different. The interview process was fairly long; I was there from about 8-1:30. At the end of my interview I met with the program director and was informed that I was accepted into the class of 2018!

Amazing! Im glad to hear you got accepted! I am just about finished up with the application and am looking forward to hearing if I get an invite. I hope all goes well. Thanks for the description of how it went down. I'll keep you posted on my end of things.

Hello Everyone,

I'm very interested in this profession and have reached out to several programs in NY for information about it. I asked them if I could shadow, however they all said that due to regulations and legal requirements in NYC. I'm not sure if it's the same where you're all from, but I was wondering how were you guys able to go about gaining shadowing experience?

Also, would you guys mind posting your stats? (Just to see where I stand since I am on my last semester of undergrad)
@Nduts14 , Would you mind sharing with us more on what happened during the interview? You don't have to share the questions that they asked per se, but what was it like and why it lasted that long?

I'm trying to find as much information about this program, but it seems to be a small niche.

Hi blissful,

I have just finished submitting all my application materials to Midwestern University here in Glendale, Arizona. The only thing I am waiting on are my two letters of recommendation from my prior research professor and the Chief Perfusionist I shadowed, which hopefully both will find their way to the office of admissions by the weeks end. The way I managed to gain the opportunity to shadow a perfusionist was when I was given the contact information to the chief perfusionist I just mentioned by the dean of the Cardiovascular science program I am applying to. My best advice would be to contact the office of admissions at the schools you are looking to apply to and ask to speak with the dean or maybe a faculty member such that you can get a better understanding of the profession and also inquire as to whether they have any contacts or people they know that can get you set up for a shadow experience. Its really amazing to watch. I witnessed three cases, totaling about 20 hours of shadowing in which I witnessed a a tricuspid valve replacement, mitral valve replacement, and an atrial myxoma extraction.

My stats aren't as impressive as they could be mind you, but I at least meat the minimum requirements for my school. I had some difficult unorthodox issues occur during my undergraduate studies that hindered me from excelling as best as I could have, (a good portion due to the loss of my father during my junior year) however I hold an overall GPA of 2.75 and have alright GRE scores, nothing to write home to mom about. (150 reading) (152 math) (3 analytical). Since schooling I've held a full time job as a Physical Science Lab technician managing a chemistry department at a local community college and I also hold research under my belt and have my name in published work with the ACS involving NMR research on spider web silk analysis. Hope all that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi blissful,

I have just finished submitting all my application materials to Midwestern University here in Glendale, Arizona. The only thing I am waiting on are my two letters of recommendation from my prior research professor and the Chief Perfusionist I shadowed, which hopefully both will find their way to the office of admissions by the weeks end. The way I managed to gain the opportunity to shadow a perfusionist was when I was given the contact information to the chief perfusionist I just mentioned by the dean of the Cardiovascular science program I am applying to. My best advice would be to contact the office of admissions at the schools you are looking to apply to and ask to speak with the dean or maybe a faculty member such that you can get a better understanding of the profession and also inquire as to whether they have any contacts or people they know that can get you set up for a shadow experience. Its really amazing to watch. I witnessed three cases, totaling about 20 hours of shadowing in which I witnessed a a tricuspid valve replacement, mitral valve replacement, and an atrial myxoma extraction.

My stats aren't as impressive as they could be mind you, but I at least meat the minimum requirements for my school. I had some difficult unorthodox issues occur during my undergraduate studies that hindered me from excelling as best as I could have, (a good portion due to the loss of my father during my junior year) however I hold an overall GPA of 2.75 and have alright GRE scores, nothing to write home to mom about. (150 reading) (152 math) (3 analytical). Since schooling I've held a full time job as a Physical Science Lab technician managing a chemistry department at a local community college and I also hold research under my belt and have my name in published work with the ACS involving NMR research on spider web silk analysis. Hope all that helps!
The shadowing sounds amazing! What did you major in as an undergrad if you don't mind me asking?
Also, what are your thoughts on the future of the profession? Did you get a chance to ask the person whom you shadowed? I have seen many threads on the site stating that the profession seems to be going downhill due to the increase of non-invasive surgeries becoming more common. This has caused perfusion to be a career where you may be forced to move away to be able to work.

I had my interview last Wednesday. I was the only interviewee there that day so it was a little different. The interview process was fairly long; I was there from about 8-1:30. At the end of my interview I met with the program director and was informed that I was accepted into the class of 2018!

Congrats! Hope to see you on campus next year!

Well I majored in Biochemistry, and as far as the profession goes, well there is always job stability in patient care regardless of specialty. In certain cases you may have to go where the work is but thats not a bad thing either. Choosing a job in a new location shouldn't be based solely on where you want to live, but who you feel best working with through your clinical rotations in the end grad scheme of things. As far as the future of perfusion specifically, well if you look at the leading cause of death in america, you will see cancer being one of the top and heart disease is up there. Honestly with American diets heart surgery is going to be an on going thing. Even with age for that matter. Another factor to look at is, if there is a need for heart surgeons there is a need for a perfusionist. Don't let those drastic decline in job outlook stories scare you. Its a great job with a great future and great stability. The perfusionist I shadowed performs 250-300 cases a year. Thats four to five cases a week. Usually he performs two cases a day. He used to do three more on the regular. But now he has a pretty sweet gig with the Banner Good Sam hospital and generally has 3 days off from cases. He also does expos across country and internationally where he gives talks on cardiovascular science. All in all, he is an extremely busy guy. My first shadow run with him, he was speaking to his wife about next years spring break with the kids and balancing all his home life while preparing simultaneously for his cases 6 in the morning. The moral of the story, you're gonna WORK! Its a hustle for sure. Not just in terms of making money, but the actual pace of carrying out duties. Its a hustle to keep up. People say, "aww they just sit there and watch for bubbles." Definitely not the case. There are slower times during the case than others but you gotta be vigilant and prepared for anything. Knowing what exactly is going on in the surgery is key to what makes a good perfusionist versus a sub par perfusionist. You're a key part in the team. Some will say you're not as important as the surgeon or the Anesthesiologist or the assistance or what have you but honestly every part is just as critical as the next. Its a very noble position and worth investing in if you want gratification in your profession. Remember, you're the one who keeps the patient alive while their heart or lungs are operated on. Once EKGs have gone flat so to say, you're in control.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dad's best friend is a perfusionist so he set me up with shadowing experiences with the chief perfusionist. From my conversation with the dean at Midwestern, it seems this perfusionist is the only one in the state of az you can shadow. It's not due to privacy laws but the surgeons, not a lot of surgeons are okay having more people in the OR. My GPA is a 3.66. I graduate with a BS in biochem in May. The main thing they wanted to know from me was why I wanted to be a perfusionist and what I thought being a perfusionist is like. They seem concerned that people are coming to school and dropping out after a few weeks because it's not what they thought it was going to be. They just want people who are committed

Interesting, I hadn't realized that they've been experiencing a higher drop out rate due to such circumstances. Hey, Nduts14, how long after you had gotten all of your application materials submitted and received by the admissions office, did it take to be contacted for an interview?

Hey guys,

I had my interview on Dec. 2, 2015 along with 3 other candidates. After consulting with my fellow candidates, I learned that we were all accepted into Midwestern perfusion program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting your stats? What schools did you apply to and why?

I'm currently finishing my last semester of undergrad in health science with a focus in exercise science. I'm not sure if I'm competitive or if I have what the perfusion schools are looking for.

I enjoy helping people and I would love to work in an OR someday, but I'm not sure whether to pursue the nursing route or the perfusion route.

I'm doing as much research as possible before choosing which would be my best option.

Well I majored in Biochemistry, and as far as the profession goes, well there is always job stability in patient care regardless of specialty. In certain cases you may have to go where the work is but thats not a bad thing either. Choosing a job in a new location shouldn't be based solely on where you want to live, but who you feel best working with through your clinical rotations in the end grad scheme of things. As far as the future of perfusion specifically, well if you look at the leading cause of death in america, you will see cancer being one of the top and heart disease is up there. Honestly with American diets heart surgery is going to be an on going thing. Even with age for that matter. Another factor to look at is, if there is a need for heart surgeons there is a need for a perfusionist. Don't let those drastic decline in job outlook stories scare you. Its a great job with a great future and great stability. The perfusionist I shadowed performs 250-300 cases a year. Thats four to five cases a week. Usually he performs two cases a day. He used to do three more on the regular. But now he has a pretty sweet gig with the Banner Good Sam hospital and generally has 3 days off from cases. He also does expos across country and internationally where he gives talks on cardiovascular science. All in all, he is an extremely busy guy. My first shadow run with him, he was speaking to his wife about next years spring break with the kids and balancing all his home life while preparing simultaneously for his cases 6 in the morning. The moral of the story, you're gonna WORK! Its a hustle for sure. Not just in terms of making money, but the actual pace of carrying out duties. Its a hustle to keep up. People say, "aww they just sit there and watch for bubbles." Definitely not the case. There are slower times during the case than others but you gotta be vigilant and prepared for anything. Knowing what exactly is going on in the surgery is key to what makes a good perfusionist versus a sub par perfusionist. You're a key part in the team. Some will say you're not as important as the surgeon or the Anesthesiologist or the assistance or what have you but honestly every part is just as critical as the next. Its a very noble position and worth investing in if you want gratification in your profession. Remember, you're the one who keeps the patient alive while their heart or lungs are operated on. Once EKGs have gone flat so to say, you're in control.

Thank you so much for the information, this was so useful.

One of the main things that makes me hesitant is the possibility of going away for work.

I don't mind going away for schooling, but I would love to come back home (NYC).
I'm not sure how job prospectives in perfusion looks like in NY. As I stated in my last post, I'm researching information on nursing and perfusion because I would love to work in an OR someday, but I'm still researching on which would be best for me.

Would you mind sharing with us what are some of the unexpected things that students find during perfusion school that causes them to drop out? (Tough classes? Long hours?) any kind of medical field is hard in one way or another, so I'm not sure why they decide to drop out?

Hey guys,

I had my interview on Dec. 2, 2015 along with 3 other candidates. After consulting with my fellow candidates, I learned that we were all accepted into Midwestern perfusion program.

Would you mind sharing what the interview was like? What did focus on and what kind of qualities do they look for in competitive applicants ?

My application was completed 8/7 and I was invited to interview on 9/17. I interviewed 10/28 and was accepting that day. However, I did decide to decline my acceptance because I was not set on this career path and they had over 30% of their students last year drop out because they weren't set on the career.

Hey I got another question for you, Nduts. You mentioned you graduated with a Biochem degree. Did you take anatomy physiology in your major map or did you take animal physiology? My major map had me take animal physiology and that was pretty much a condensed version of A&P 1 and 2. Reason I ask is that when I entered in my prereqs into the application it asked for 3 credits of anatomy and 3 credits of physiology. I've never heard of the two courses being separated and thus I wanted to get your take on that. Thanks again for your insight.

Certain schools state that anatomy is 3 credit and physiology (the lab portion of the class) is also 3 credits. So technically it may just be 1 semester of A&P, but I may be wrong.

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there were any updates on your applications? Also, I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me as to what else I can do to become a competitive applicant? I've decided to apply to the perfusion program at LIU in NYC. I have done a lot of research in the field and have gotten in touch with the program director at LIU/ North Shore. I asked him if they offer some type of shadowing for students (since I am sure that the experience will help me understand the profession better and it will look well in my application), however he stated that the hospital does not have any type of shadowing for students due to laws and regulations in NY state. I decided to email all of the perfusionists (or cardiac surgeons if I couldn't find the perfusionist's info) in NYC asking if I could shadow them or if they could refer me to someone who could answer some questions for me just in case someone allows me to shadow, but I have yet to hear back from them (probably due to the holiday madness). I watched some online videos and even looked up some of the program's textbook from the LIU bookstore out of curiosity. I have really been digging trying to find as much information about the program as possible.

I understand that it will probably be unlikely to shadow a perfusionist in NY, but the application isn't due until April and I would like to do as much research as possible until then. Any suggestions? I have already finished all of the pre-reqs and just graduated this month, so I would like to use my free time wisely before the application deadline.

Blissful,

Have you considered maybe making a trip out of sate to find potential shadowing opportunities? If you can find an opportunity to shadow a perfusionist out of state, speak with him/her such that you can set up a week or so of shadow. It would be a great trip to gain the experience plus a cool vacation depending on where you trip out. It might be unexpected in expenses but if this is the profession you really want in life be prepared to go the distance to make it yours. Hope this helps! Also, I haven't gotten invitation yet, but my application is in review. All my materials have been received except for one letter of recommendation last time I checked. (I have two more on the way but due to the holiday madness either they haven't received either in the mail or there is just a large volume of application materials being sorted through). If I am extended an interview, I doubt I will get one before the first, Im in application limbo right now and its killing me. :(

When it asks for 3 anatomy and 3 physio credits, it is asking for a total of 6 A&P credits. Some schools break it down so one class is all anatomy and the other is all physio. Where I went, it was A&P combined so I took both semesters for a total of 6 credits. That is the only way to get the full knowledge base of all human anatomy and physiology. It may just be my interpretation of the experience, but I felt that they weren't a very "popular" program. Not Midwestern, but perfusion. For those of you freaking out about not hearing back, don't worry. They need you just as much, if not more, than you need them. I submitted my app was interviewed and accepted all in about 2 months but it may not be the same case for everyone. As I said earlier though, I did turn down my acceptance which could make them become selective in the process.

Well one of my letters of recommendation has been received according to my applicant portal. I'm not sure if they have both or just one but last time I called about it they said they had one already even though my portal said both were still to be expected. I don't know if thats an issue with the online applicant portal or if they are still waiting on another letter. Either way, I sure wasn't expecting to see any updates before the New Year though. Getting excited over yonder!

I have a quick question for everyone.
I have read online that with perfusion, you have to be flexible with moving to different states and basically going to wherever the jobs are. Would you say that this is the case in populated urban cities? (i.e NYC and California?). I know majority of the perfusion schools are either in the south or in the west, so I'm not sure if that is why people online state that they had to move away? (As in possibly having to move from a small town to a big city?) I've looked on job sites online out of curiosity and saw that many hospitals in heavily populated cities needed perfusionists which was slightly surprising to me.

It is the case that you will have to move to where the jobs are, but honestly as you go through your clinical rotations you will find its all about finding the right group of medical professionals and specialists that you work best with and click with. This incidentally comes with the notion that you will be moving around from region to region. I have thought about this concept too a lot and am prepared to up and move. Then again I have been in Phoenix AZ for 20 years of my life and I am ready breach out beyond my home town. Another angel to it though is that this profession is starting to find itself in a more in demand position despite what articles say from years before. From what I have come to understand, the majority of positions are either in the north east or the south and south west still.

Start typing in Perfusion into Indeed and pick different states you might find of interest you'd be willing to live or move to and then see what the demand for perfusions is there. I will say it is unlikely you will live in a small town working as a Perfusionist right off the bat. You will most likely be stationed in a urban location to start your career off, but as you gain a couple years experience you can apply to different locations you find ideal that you'd rather live in. This is with every career though especially within the medical field. Its part of getting older and growing up too. Don't be afraid of it if it is a requirement to a great life.

Do you happen to know how much on average tuition costs at the end of the two year program? For some reason I was under the impression that it would be around ~50k in total, however I recently spoke to a student who is in the perfusion program at Rush University and they said that they are currently over 100k in loans. She said that she feels like the tuition is equivalent to two years of med school, however is this the case for the majority of the perfusion schools?

It is the case that you will have to move to where the jobs are, but honestly as you go through your clinical rotations you will find its all about finding the right group of medical professionals and specialists that you work best with and click with. This incidentally comes with the notion that you will be moving around from region to region. I have thought about this concept too a lot and am prepared to up and move. Then again I have been in Phoenix AZ for 20 years of my life and I am ready breach out beyond my home town. Another angel to it though is that this profession is starting to find itself in a more in demand position despite what articles say from years before. From what I have come to understand, the majority of positions are either in the north east or the south and south west still.

Start typing in Perfusion into Indeed and pick different states you might find of interest you'd be willing to live or move to and then see what the demand for perfusions is there. I will say it is unlikely you will live in a small town working as a Perfusionist right off the bat. You will most likely be stationed in a urban location to start your career off, but as you gain a couple years experience you can apply to different locations you find ideal that you'd rather live in. This is with every career though especially within the medical field. Its part of getting older and growing up too. Don't be afraid of it if it is a requirement to a great life.

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually did this before posting my message in the thread which is how I noticed that there is a higher need for perfusionists in large urban cities compared to more rural and even suburban areas.

Midwestern explains the cost of attendance break down for the two year program in a grand total. see the link -

https://www.midwestern.edu/Document...s/COA Forms/2015-16 AZ/CVS _AZ 1516 final.pdf

break it down such that they include tuition and fees, book, and cost of living. In a grand total after two years they estimate you will spend around 150,000 in total. That may sound like a lot, but in comparison to say medical school where you come out around twice the amount in deb,t its really reasonable. This is especially true when considering you are making around 75000 annually when you start depending. After say about four years to six years and your salary has increased to six figures with experience, thats a very manageable debt. Remember, its never about how much you make in the end but what the debt to income ratio is when you are finished with all the schooling. Everybody goes into debt for school, its part of growing up, at least in America. Merica!

Still waiting on a reply from Midwestern too. 0_o dying over here!

Hey I got another question for you, Nduts. You mentioned you graduated with a Biochem degree. Did you take anatomy physiology in your major map or did you take animal physiology? My major map had me take animal physiology and that was pretty much a condensed version of A&P 1 and 2. Reason I ask is that when I entered in my prereqs into the application it asked for 3 credits of anatomy and 3 credits of physiology. I've never heard of the two courses being separated and thus I wanted to get your take on that. Thanks again for your insight.

Hey Bodasapha999,

I was in your situation not long ago. When I graduated from undergrad, I only had 4 credit hours of anatomy and physiology. On my interview with Midwestern back in November, I met with the admission counselor about this situation and whether or not I needed to take 2 more credit hours of anatomy and physiology to meet the requirement, but fortunately, my biochem class fulfilled the last two credit hours. Just some insight on prereq requirements. Hope you find this useful!

Thanks for the heads up, Cariacdog. That definitely lifts some of the worry off my shoulders. Im exited to say as well that my application has been passed on from the admission comitty to the dean as well as the faculty for further consideration. I keep you all posted when I hear anything.

Thanks for the heads up, Cariacdog. That definitely lifts some of the worry off my shoulders. Im exited to say as well that my application has been passed on from the admission comitty to the dean as well as the faculty for further consideration. I keep you all posted when I hear anything.
Oh nice, have they extended you an interview invitation yet?

Not yet but Im feeling pretty positive they will at this point. Im expecting to hear back at the very latest by the months end but probably sooner.

BTW Do they call or email or do they just provide you an invitation the midwestern online applicant portal?

I haven't investigated anything about that program, honestly. I e only looked into one other perfusion program and that is with university of Arizona. They have a master program for pharmacology that leads to perfusion certification. Other than that school just Midwestern I've heard of.

Hey Blissful,

What have you found out about the curriculum at the North Shore program? The Midwestern program has you do 9 months of didactic course work and then they send you on a year of rotations about the country. I know UoA's program does NOT have you travel like midwestern does. One thing the Chief Perfusionist said to me was he actually preferred the idea of doing rotations in one location, such that you become familiar with a routine of cp bypass pump set up and operation. To each their own of coarse. :)

Hey Blissful,

What have you found out about the curriculum at the North Shore program? The Midwestern program has you do 9 months of didactic course work and then they send you on a year of rotations about the country. I know UoA's program does NOT have you travel like midwestern does. One thing the Chief Perfusionist said to me was he actually preferred the idea of doing rotations in one location, such that you become familiar with a routine of cp bypass pump set up and operation. To each their own of coarse. :)
Hey Boda,

I was able to speak to a current student who's currently in the perfusion program at North Shore. She didn't tell me how long they do didactic courses for, but she did tell me that they do their rotations within New York. So I guess it's similar to UoA where you don't have to travel for rotations.

However she did mention that in recent years perfusion has become very competitive in several of the schools

I'm currently filling out an application for Midwestern. Wondering though, is it too late to submit an application? I know its rolling admissions, but sounds like a lot of interviews have already been conducted.

Hey Boda,

I was able to speak to a current student who's currently in the perfusion program at North Shore. She didn't tell me how long they do didactic courses for, but she did tell me that they do their rotations within New York. So I guess it's similar to UoA where you don't have to travel for rotations.

However she did mention that in recent years perfusion has become very competitive in several of the schools

Good to hear you're digging into the minds of current students. They will be your best source of information for that particular school. Each school is different however I could only assume she is correct I that competition to get into schools is becoming steeper. Still it's never a reason to not try.

I'm currently filling out an application for Midwestern. Wondering though, is it too late to submit an application? I know its rolling admissions, but sounds like a lot of interviews have already been conducted.

It might not be early in the season but it's not terribly late. I'd say if you have your materials together and feel confident throw the application in. Worst that happens is yiu don't get accepted but that's the same as not applying isn't it.

Good to hear you're digging into the minds of current students. They will be your best source of information for that particular school. Each school is different however I could only assume she is correct I that competition to get into schools is becoming steeper. Still it's never a reason to not try.
Yep, even though it took her a while to reply back. I can imagine that she must be very busy.
I forgot to mention that she also stated that one of the reasons as to why perfusion has gotten so competitive is because they have seen an increase in students applying from all kinds of different backgrounds.

Have you heard back from any schools yet and have you had any interviews? If so, how did they go?

Yep, even though it took her a while to reply back. I can imagine that she must be very busy.
I forgot to mention that she also stated that one of the reasons as to why perfusion has gotten so competitive is because they have seen an increase in students applying from all kinds of different backgrounds.

Have you heard back from any schools yet and have you had any interviews? If so, how did they go?

Still waiting for an invitation to interview. Last I heard my application was sent off to the dean and faculty for further consideration. That was probably two and a half weeks ago. Very eager to hear a reply. I can't imagine it will take too much longer but they do rolling admissions so there isn't any telling exactly how long it will take for a reply. It feels like waiting on a plane to go on an awesome vacation but you being delayed for reasons unknown. I gotta say it's an unpleasant experience Hahahaha. Anticipation is deadly.

Still waiting for an invitation to interview. Last I heard my application was sent off to the dean and faculty for further consideration. That was probably two and a half weeks ago. Very eager to hear a reply. I can't imagine it will take too much longer but they do rolling admissions so there isn't any telling exactly how long it will take for a reply. It feels like waiting on a plane to go on an awesome vacation but you being delayed for reasons unknown. I gotta say it's an unpleasant experience Hahahaha. Anticipation is deadly.
Oh man, good luck! I'm sure you'll hear back soon enough. Keep us updated :D

I have a question for everyone. Did any of you guys originally plan on majoring in something else and then down the road decided to go for perfusion?

For example, did anyone graduate with an undergrad and originally planned on doing nursing, premed, physical or occupational therapy, etc, and then decided to switch to perfusion?

I'm very curious to know what made you change your mind and decide to pursue perfusion