Perennial Sacrificial lamb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog_luver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm coming for advice on my situation. It seems that very frequently I'm the "sacrificed" resident at my program for various reasons. When I was a PGY-2, there was a schedule catastrophe and my schedule was re-arranged - obvioulsy not in a favorable way to me, to accommodate PGY-4's. During PGY-3, the schedule was again changed - again in an unfavorable way for me. Now as a PGY-4, none of my requests were granted for the schedule, despite being told that we'd been granted at least one rotation we wanted. I was given numerous rotations that I do not want, some which I specifically requested not to have, and most other residents in my class were accomodated. No other resident in my class or other similar senior year classes have had the schedule I was given. I have far more challenging rotations than most of my other residents. I politely brought this up to the chief resident and the chief basically told me that it would be difficult to change the schedule. Apparently we have some time for electives, but I'm being told that I have to take this in very strange weeks - in 2 week intervals throughtout a number of rotations (although others in my class have been granted a 4 week block). The same issue has happened in multiple other situations - I had the most number of calls during previous years, I had more lectures than my fellow residents (I brought this up and it was changed but still), etc.
I would think that in my last year of residency I would at least get some choices in what I do and what I can rotate in. Ironically some of the rotations I was placed in are "electives" which I have already done.
What should I do in this situation? I don't want to create an issue, clearly talking to the chief did not go anywhere, and this person is someone in my same class. Should I talk to the PD and bring up my case? I don't feel it's fair at all.

Members don't see this ad.

You can bring it up with your PD but that may not work or in your favor either and may give you the stigma of not being able to handle it. I'd keep my head down - do the year and then be done with residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You can bring it up with your PD but that may not work or in your favor either and may give you the stigma of not being able to handle it. I'd keep my head down - do the year and then be done with residency.

Why does everyone else get to have a great schedule and much easier years, repeatedly?

Life isn't fair. Sorry. Many of us have similar stories.

-Ed

But it's cool for other residents to persistently have to do less work and have much easier rotations?

If your PD is generally an approachable and understanding person, it may not hurt to discuss your concerns with them and see if a couple of the rotations can be changed for things you're more interested in/would be more beneficial to you.

If you want to change some rotations just so you have a lighter workload, I doubt that would go over well. If your concern is more from an education/experience standpoint ("This would be my 3rd month doing X elective and I've never gotten to do Y elective") then you may have more sway in getting a change.

Reactions: 2 users
If your PD is generally an approachable and understanding person, it may not hurt to discuss your concerns with them and see if a couple of the rotations can be changed for things you're more interested in/would be more beneficial to you.

If you want to change some rotations just so you have a lighter workload, I doubt that would go over well. If your concern is more from an education/experience standpoint ("This would be my 3rd month doing X elective and I've never gotten to do Y elective") then you may have more sway in getting a change.

Yes, I'm clearly going to discuss it from that angle -I've gotten so many x rotations, I would like to rotate in x. But my point is a broader one I guess - I'm always the one resident who's repeatedly screwed over and over again. Why is that?

Yes, I'm clearly going to discuss it from that angle -I've gotten so many x rotations, I would like to rotate in x. But my point is a broader one I guess - I'm always the one resident who's repeatedly screwed over and over again. Why is that?

Do you expect strangers on the internet to know the answer to that question? Luck of the draw vs someone's doing it to you on purpose. My money's on the former. We all get things we don't want in our schedules. I was disappointed with how my elective months played out for my schedule next year, but the scheduling chief had to do what they had to do in order to make things work out, and that's life.

Is there something you are not telling us?

It is hard to be open about things like this, but what you describe seems like a pattern of behavior that always leaves you with the short end.

Just know that we are here for you.

Last edited:

Hey brother, agree with your approach. Please discuss this in a manner in which the few electives that you want to be on are very interesting and critical to your education and future career plan. Dont go about it in a negative manner. It would be easier to be successful this way.

Otherwise, hey I feel your pain. I thought life gets easier when you advance in your years. but when u lose residents in your year and u just get slammed with all the call etc. yeah. life just isnt fair. ever.
residency itself was never meant to be fair.

im still learning. to just take it. and move on.
my friend tells me life has ups, downs, and plateaus.
well is a down plateau. and jsut gotta presevere and count those days.

Is there something you are not telling us?

It is hard to be open about things like this, but what you describe seems like a pattern of behavior that always leaves you with the short end.

I am quite frustrated. I don't think there's anything that I'm not "telling" - I kind of do my own thing and am not super close to my fellow residents but have a friendly working relationship with them. I feel that whenever someone needs to get screwed that's me! Lecture needs to be done last minute? Oh Dogluver! Crappy rotation no one wants? Dogluver! Let's be certain to accommodate others first. I am always the exception to everything! Example- during my pGY-2 year I had about 16 calls, others had 10-11. I said well can we split them up? I was also placed on call on 3 major holidays and a number of people had no holidays! Then it was changed bc it was pretty obvious but I had to point it out. Lectures - I had done quite a number and some of my classmates had done none. Then I was given more lectures - i was like yeah how about we give them to others too? Eventually the schedule was reviewed and it was noted that I had given more lectures so I got no further lectures the rest of the year. Schedule - just about everyone got something they wanted but me. It's like really?

Hey brother, agree with your approach. Please discuss this in a manner in which the few electives that you want to be on are very interesting and critical to your education and future career plan. Dont go about it in a negative manner. It would be easier to be successful this way.

Otherwise, hey I feel your pain. I thought life gets easier when you advance in your years. but when u lose residents in your year and u just get slammed with all the call etc. yeah. life just isnt fair. ever.
residency itself was never meant to be fair.

im still learning. to just take it. and move on.
my friend tells me life has ups, downs, and plateaus.
well is a down plateau. and jsut gotta presevere and count those days.

for others, it's much easier. some of my classmates got months of rotations where they leave at 2pm or so!

I am quite frustrated. I don't think there's anything that I'm not "telling" - I kind of do my own thing and am not super close to my fellow residents but have a friendly working relationship with them. I feel that whenever someone needs to get screwed that's me! Lecture needs to be done last minute? Oh Dogluver! Crappy rotation no one wants? Dogluver! Let's be certain to accommodate others first. I am always the exception to everything! Example- during my pGY-2 year I had about 16 calls, others had 10-11. I said well can we split them up? I was also placed on call on 3 major holidays and a number of people had no holidays! Then it was changed bc it was pretty obvious but I had to point it out. Lectures - I had done quite a number and some of my classmates had done none. Then I was given more lectures - i was like yeah how about we give them to others too? Eventually the schedule was reviewed and it was noted that I had given more lectures so I got no further lectures the rest of the year. Schedule - just about everyone got something they wanted but me. It's like really?

Right - I got the sense that there may be some interpersonal issues at play here, even if in the background. Not anything against you per say, but more like social dynamic stuff. It is totally fine not to be super close to them, but sometimes in the world of residency where you have small circles of tight knit people, the outsiders tend to get shafted.

The situation sucks OP, and it is not fair. But if you are doing well academically, your career is safe, and the important things are aligned for you then just try to stick it out with as positive an attitude as possible.

In a couple of years, you are gonna look back at this time and laugh it off.

Right - I got the sense that there may be some interpersonal issues at play here, even if in the background. Not anything against you per say, but more like social dynamic stuff. It is totally fine not to be super close to them, but sometimes in the world of residency where you have small circles of tight knit people, the outsiders tend to get shafted.

The situation sucks OP, and it is not fair. But if you are doing well academically, your career is safe, and the important things are aligned for you then just try to stick it out with as positive an attitude as possible.

In a couple of years, you are gonna look back at this time and laugh it off.

whats a life time donor?

whats a life time donor?

250 bucks (thats what i donated)

It does not confer any protection from admin action or anything of that nature. It does allow you to change your name with admin approval, delete posts/threads, get rid of ads, and provides that Lee personally visits you and gives you a hug (but only during leap years).

Last edited:
250 bucks (thats what i donated)

It does not confer any protection from admin action or anything of that nature. It does allow you to change your name with admin approval, delete posts/threads, get rid of ads, and provides that Lee personally visits you and gives you a hug (but only during leap years).

sorry about that.

who is lee? some hot sdn chick?

IMHO it's far more likely that you've been the victim of random chance variations in scheduling than that you are the victim of persistent persecution.

As a IRL example, this past year as admin chief I had to make the uncomfortable/unfortunate decision to pull one of our midlevel residents from a light rotation and put them on trauma (after a resident from another program got pulled off trauma by their home department...all circumstances way above my pay grade). Then, four months later, we had to assign the same resident to still more time on trauma to cover a maternity leave.

I guess that resident could say "why me?" since it happened twice.

In both circumstances he was the only available and appropriately qualified body we could pull. We didn't make the decision lightly - my co-chief, PD, and PC all tossed around about 15 different options including just leaving trauma short-handed and this seemed like the best possible solution.

We are now trying to craft the schedules for next year and give this guy a month less on trauma, but the net result of that means a much less flexible schedule for him (since there would only be one track with fewer trauma months and all his other months would then be pre-determined).

Turns out making personnel decisions in a small residency program with little to no redundancy is hard sometimes.

I would agree with the others that raising your concern to the PD is reasonable, but only if it is framed in light of your education, not from a "life is unfair" perspective.

Reactions: 3 users
Why does everyone else get to have a great schedule and much easier years, repeatedly?
Differential:

1) Random chance. It's hard enough just to accommodate vacation requests on the schedule, balancing the schedule for fairness is nearly impossible

2) It's not actually as large a difference as you think. I have seen residents who felt screwed who had literally just failed to add up the days/hours they were working and compare them to everyone else

3) It's favoritism. If someone is eating lunch with the chief each day they might get a better schedule. You lose because the schedule it's to some extent a zero sum game.

4) You're the only one without problems. Those 2 pm days might be there to give someone time to remediate a low ITE score, to attend an AA meeting, or to meet with a divorce lawyer. Or you're the senior resident they most trust with the harder services so you got more of them

5). It's a subtle form of remediation. Maybe they think you need more hours, rather than days that end at 2.

6) You pissed someone off. It could happen.

Advice: I would guess that you are unlikely to win this battle if you are staying within work hours. If they are failing to accommodate a request that you feel is necessary for your career ( "I need easy elective x because I want to do a fellowship in x") the PD might be sympathetic, but no PD cares that residency sucks. Unfortunately you already told the chief that you were just annoyed at the workload, so it is kind of late to pretend that you need a light elective for a different reason

Residency ends. Just get through it.

Reactions: 1 users
Differential:

1) Random chance. It's hard enough just to accommodate vacation requests on the schedule, balancing the schedule for fairness is nearly impossible

2) It's not actually as large a difference as you think. I have seen residents who felt screwed who had literally just failed to add up the days/hours they were working and compare them to everyone else

3) It's favoritism. If someone is eating lunch with the chief each day they might get a better schedule. You lose because the schedule it's to some extent a zero sum game.

4) You're the only one without problems. Those 2 pm days might be there to give someone time to remediate a low ITE score, to attend an AA meeting, or to meet with a divorce lawyer. Or you're the senior resident they most trust with the harder services so you got more of them

5). It's a subtle form of remediation. Maybe they think you need more hours, rather than days that end at 2.

6) You pissed someone off. It could happen.

Advice: I would guess that you are unlikely to win this battle if you are staying within work hours. If they are failing to accommodate a request that you feel is necessary for your career ( "I need easy elective x because I want to do a fellowship in x") the PD might be sympathetic, but no PD cares that residency sucks. Unfortunately you already told the chief that you were just annoyed at the workload, so it is kind of late to pretend that you need a light elective for a different reason

Residency ends. Just get through it.

Actually no, I told the chief exactly kind of what you are saying here - I will like to go into x field and will likely take a job in x field, and I have not had that much x rotation. I'm surprised you'd think I'd be so silly as to tell the chief - oh yeah I don't want to work too much. I basically said I am not going into x field anymore, and i have already rotated in x field. I also requested what I was not given. Ironically, the chief said that I had done MORE difficult rotations and had had more challenging curriculum thus far so they were trying to give me more outpt. stuff. Ironically enough some of the rotations they gave me are considered electives. No we do not remediate ITEs. And no, no one in my class is getting divorced, nor are people getting repeatedly better schedules to accommodate personal stuff. Other people in my same class got rotations they requested - and they got other requests they wanted - ie- they requested to avoid certain attendings and they got those requests.

Oh and no - I actually have taken the trouble to look at all the rotations everyone in my class has had during the entirety of residency - precisely to make sure that someone wasn't being compensated for a harder schedule in previous years - and I still come out on the losing end.

Last edited:
IMHO it's far more likely that you've been the victim of random chance variations in scheduling than that you are the victim of persistent persecution.

As a IRL example, this past year as admin chief I had to make the uncomfortable/unfortunate decision to pull one of our midlevel residents from a light rotation and put them on trauma (after a resident from another program got pulled off trauma by their home department...all circumstances way above my pay grade). Then, four months later, we had to assign the same resident to still more time on trauma to cover a maternity leave.

I guess that resident could say "why me?" since it happened twice.

In both circumstances he was the only available and appropriately qualified body we could pull. We didn't make the decision lightly - my co-chief, PD, and PC all tossed around about 15 different options including just leaving trauma short-handed and this seemed like the best possible solution.

We are now trying to craft the schedules for next year and give this guy a month less on trauma, but the net result of that means a much less flexible schedule for him (since there would only be one track with fewer trauma months and all his other months would then be pre-determined).

Turns out making personnel decisions in a small residency program with little to no redundancy is hard sometimes.

I would agree with the others that raising your concern to the PD is reasonable, but only if it is framed in light of your education, not from a "life is unfair" perspective.

As I said, during previous years, I was pulled from gentler services into more challenging ones to help accommodate senior residents - this has happened 2 years in a row. Now that I'm going to be the senior resident - shouldn't that happen still? Even the same situation is presented itself, where I am lacking a month of something I want (which every single one of my classmates has as a 4th year), and I was pulled during my PGY2 from this rotation to accommodate one of the seniors who wanted to be in this rotation. Now I'm getting the run around about how it would be too difficult to arrange the schedule yet it would be simple to do by pulling a second year resident for example. Or the vacation needs to be re-done because I pointed out to the chief that there too many people off during a service - chief realized the mistake and instead of giving me the priority and changing one of the junior resident schedules - the chief tells me tehy will think about it. Really? As a PGY4 they have to think about it? Why do I get no choice when I am a junior resident and still no choice when I am a senior resident?

I think take a step back, relax. This year will end just like the previous three ended. Your grievances will likely not be addressed and can actually be harmful when it comes time for job references. I say bow your head, plow through the last year, and move on with your life. As an attending your situation will be different.

Yeah buddy. One more year to go. It sucks but one year is definitely doable. Some people have barely started might have 3 or up to 7 years.

The principles of being on the losing end hurts. But ur almost there!

Honestly?

I think it's random chance more likely than not. Your program sounds like it has different people making the schedule every year. Thus, the institutional memory is short. Someone needed coverage in 2015? You got the short end of the stick. Then a new chief took over, something came up, and you happened to get the short end again. Ideally a program would keep strict track with tallies of who did what when and even it out over the years, but in my experience a lot of the time it just ends up being that they start each year as a fresh slate (and thus things might not cancel out over the course of a full program).

Hey, it helped me out a bit. I managed to get a derm elective all 3 years of residency.

I think take a step back, relax. This year will end just like the previous three ended. Your grievances will likely not be addressed and can actually be harmful when it comes time for job references. I say bow your head, plow through the last year, and move on with your life. As an attending your situation will be different.

So you are
Honestly?

I think it's random chance more likely than not. Your program sounds like it has different people making the schedule every year. Thus, the institutional memory is short. Someone needed coverage in 2015? You got the short end of the stick. Then a new chief took over, something came up, and you happened to get the short end again. Ideally a program would keep strict track with tallies of who did what when and even it out over the years, but in my experience a lot of the time it just ends up being that they start each year as a fresh slate (and thus things might not cancel out over the course of a full program).

Hey, it helped me out a bit. I managed to get a derm elective all 3 years of residency.

Well a new chief makes the schedule every year yes. But they do keep track. I don't think that they are trying to purposefully screw me no, but when someone has to get screwed, they don't lose sleep over screwing me over. And while I don't think i'm a special snowflake, I expect fairness. And I feel like there are always double standards - it's crazy. When I objectively point out the issues then that's when things get squared away. Like for the call schedule as I mentioned - initially I had more call than all of my classmates. I was like what the heck? Then the chief went into *this is blatantly egregious* mode and then I ended up with less calls than most of my classmates. Same thing with lectures - initially I had more lectures than most of my same year class. I pointed out all the lectures I had done and how some of my fellow classmates had done very little if any. Again same thing - I then ended up w no further lectures. For the vacation I pointed out some issues w/ the schedule - I was asked if I could be "flexible" - I pretty much said well not really, then objectively pointed out issues. Ultimately times as requested were granted. So while it ultimately does end up working in my favor I should not have to do this. I have actually gone through the effort of looking at all the rotations people in my class have had, and I"ve had one of the more challenging curriculums. Some of my classmates have had easier curriculums and still complain of the few difficult rotations they've had. It's annoying. I have put in more than my fair share. It's about darn time that I also get something of what I want, and other people lose their snowflake status.

Well a new chief makes the schedule every year yes. But they do keep track. I don't think that they are trying to purposefully screw me no, but when someone has to get screwed, they don't lose sleep over screwing me over. And while I don't think i'm a special snowflake, I expect fairness. And I feel like there are always double standards - it's crazy. When I objectively point out the issues then that's when things get squared away. Like for the call schedule as I mentioned - initially I had more call than all of my classmates. I was like what the heck? Then the chief went into *this is blatantly egregious* mode and then I ended up with less calls than most of my classmates. Same thing with lectures - initially I had more lectures than most of my same year class. I pointed out all the lectures I had done and how some of my fellow classmates had done very little if any. Again same thing - I then ended up w no further lectures. For the vacation I pointed out some issues w/ the schedule - I was asked if I could be "flexible" - I pretty much said well not really, then objectively pointed out issues. Ultimately times as requested were granted. So while it ultimately does end up working in my favor I should not have to do this. I have actually gone through the effort of looking at all the rotations people in my class have had, and I"ve had one of the more challenging curriculums. Some of my classmates have had easier curriculums and still complain of the few difficult rotations they've had. It's annoying. I have put in more than my fair share. It's about darn time that I also get something of what I want, and other people lose their snowflake status.
Yeah, sounds exactly like what I thought it was: Nothing out of malice, but simply oversights adding up to each other. They're working with you to address any inequalities perceived or real. Not all requests can be accommodated though, there's a lot of moving parts in a schedule.

Yeah, sounds exactly like what I thought it was: Nothing out of malice, but simply oversights adding up to each other. They're working with you to address any inequalities perceived or real. Not all requests can be accommodated though, there's a lot of moving parts in a schedule.

I realize that not all requests can be accommodated, and I don't expect that. That's one of the reason, for example, why I don't ask for things with high requests. For example, I request vacation time when others are unlikely to want it (I get to travel cheaper), so it should be granted with no issues. Or when everyone else in my same year class gets rotation x, why shouldn't I get it? It's exhausting. I can't wait until the end of next year when I make my own schedule and do what I want when I want it.

I realize that not all requests can be accommodated, and I don't expect that. That's one of the reason, for example, why I don't ask for things with high requests. For example, I request vacation time when others are unlikely to want it (I get to travel cheaper), so it should be granted with no issues. Or when everyone else in my same year class gets rotation x, why shouldn't I get it? It's exhausting. I can't wait until the end of next year when I make my own schedule and do what I want when I want it.

You seem to have a persecution complex

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you go into solo private practice, you will never be able to make your own schedule without regard for anyone else. And even then, you'll need to arrange coverage anytime you want off.

Don't attribute to malice what could just be due to incompetence (or more likely neglect). Your chiefs are not trained on being master schedulers, they are just told to make a schedule. I recently made one for the *four* fellows in my program and juggling the moving parts with everyones requests and needs for coverage was hard enough. I can only imagine making a schedule for a full program with many times that of residents.

Unless you go into solo private practice, you will never be able to make your own schedule without regard for anyone else. And even then, you'll need to arrange coverage anytime you want off.

Don't attribute to malice what could just be due to incompetence (or more likely neglect). Your chiefs are not trained on being master schedulers, they are just told to make a schedule. I recently made one for the *four* fellows in my program and juggling the moving parts with everyones requests and needs for coverage was hard enough. I can only imagine making a schedule for a full program with many times that of residents.

I understand that it's difficult to make a schedule. I also think that when the same person gets the less desirable schedules it's not due to coincidence. Once sure. Twice perhaps. Generally? Unlikely due to sole chance.

It sounds like you've come up with a successful mechanism for addressing this in the past. Address it again and move on - it's not worth perseverating over. You're done in a year and then none of this will matter.

I got a ****ty schedule for all of my EM2 year. At the end, the chiefs stated outright that I got screwed. To be quite candid and honest, to say that it is wholly random sounds to me to be either obtuse, or naïve.

Sounds like a program where the senior residents "chiefs" make the schedule. No long term vision across years and self interest rules.

There's nothing random about the outsider resident getting shafted on scheduling matters, over and over again. What he describes is a pattern of behavior by the chiefs who seem to favor others (i.e their friends) repeatedly.

It's not a battle worth fighting for the OP, but that does not mean his point is not valid.

There are instances when people truly get shafted, and I have been on that end myself at times, but honestly, seems like every time you drew the short end of the stick, you complained and got it changed to your convenience. I'm not sure what you're complaining about. I truly hope you're not a surgical resident because there's no way you'd last. Good luck to you.

There's nothing random about the outsider resident getting shafted on scheduling matters, over and over again. What he describes is a pattern of behavior by the chiefs who seem to favor others (i.e their friends) repeatedly.

It's not a battle worth fighting for the OP, but that does not mean his point is not valid.
Yeah I don't think it's. A malicious thing just a someone has to get shafted sometimes thing. And I did bring the vacay thing fr discussion and it was changed. I wi have to bring u the oth
There are instances when people truly get shafted, and I have been on that end myself at times, but honestly, seems like every time you drew the short end of the stick, you complained and got it changed to your convenience. I'm not sure what you're complaining about. I truly hope you're not a surgical resident because there's no way you'd last. Good luck to you.

I complained this time bc i totally got the short end and nothing has been done. Lots of we shall see. You can attack me, I don't particularly care, if you feel in surgery that its ok for some residents to get screwed vs others not to get screwed, I feel quite sorry for you. And given that I'm basically a PGY4 I'd say I've done just fine. I don't now nor have I ever had any desire to be in surgery - no thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.