PhD/PsyD Percentage of billable hours for salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BleLes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an intern applying for postdoc positions. I'm looking at a variety of practice-oriented organizations. I would love to get some feedback on a few things:

1) What is a typical percentage of billable hours that I could expect for compensation?
2) How might that percentage be affected? (reaching licensure, gaining a new client referral source, etc.)
3) What is the standard percentage for licensed psychologists in private practice, and can you provide a reference?
4) what other compensation models might be good for a person in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what is typical, but at my company we range from 54%-70%. I'm at 54% (21.5 billable per week), with some non-billable admin and clinical supervision responsibilities, as well as research expectations. I'm not sure why billable requirements would decrease just based on seniority, with no increase in other responsibilities related to revenue generation. "Work less, earn more" contingencies aren't great business models.

Reactions: 1 user
It would behoove you to read textbooks rather than ask sdn. More information, about a wider variety of minutiae. I recommend peppings book and marts book.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would behoove you to read textbooks rather than ask sdn. More information, about a wider variety of minutiae. I recommend peppings book and marts book.
I saw the Pepping book but it was geared toward neuro. Couldn't find a book by anyone named Mart. I am beginning to look at this as the next step in my career so would like to start reading up on it.

I saw the Pepping book but it was geared toward neuro. Couldn't find a book by anyone named Mart. I am beginning to look at this as the next step in my career so would like to start reading up on it.

The Mart book has to do with specialty private practice in forensic psychology; that might help you track it down.

The Mart book has to do with specialty private practice in forensic psychology; that might help you track it down.
That might help me track it down, but that isn't the field I'm going into either. I'm thinking of therapy and assessment practice. Also, looking at starting up a residential treatment. Not sure how to go about either. The former would be easier, but the latter is what I would really want to do.

Starting up a residential treatment program/facility will probably be a PITA if you will. He taking insurance and/or dealing with CARF.
Yes. Lots of work and hoops to jump through. It is an area with high need and low funding. I have patients who could use longer term residential treatment and the facilities are always full. I ran a therapeutic boarding school that avoided some of the difficulties by being private pay and not being a "treatment facility". People will mortgage their house to try and save their kids. My dream would be that I could find some type of middle ground between the state run options and the private pay. I made a referral recently for residential treatment for a kid who is going downhill and needs more than what we can provide in the community and they said that they wouldn't qualify unless or until they were actively suicidal. It seems our choices are outpatient once a week and inpatient psychiatric facilities. For most of the kids I see, the first is not sufficient and the second is not much more than an aversive treatment.

That might help me track it down, but that isn't the field I'm going into either. I'm thinking of therapy and assessment practice. Also, looking at starting up a residential treatment. Not sure how to go about either. The former would be easier, but the latter is what I would really want to do.

You can get something out of either book. Mart's book is good about creating a referral stream, even if his targeted customers are different than yours. Pepping's book is good for basics like office rent, billing, networking, etc.

I don't know why other posters on this forum are making the OP go on a goose chase here. Just help them out...

I purposely give information which would require a bit of work to use. There's a few reasons for this.

1) Most success is going to be at least mediated, if not dependent upon, personal effort exerted towards a goal. Information won't matter if someone can't be bothered to act accordingly. This is a fee for service profession. At the end of the day, 99% of the profession is making money by selling their time. If we take the search for information as a proxy for one's general behavior, we are doing someone a disservice in offering no effort solutions.

2) I'm not an authoritative source and don't want anyone to think so. Anyone is free to read whatever and make their own mistakes.

3) Demonstrating how to work will absolutely help someone. They have a question, show them how to get the answer. Next time, they have the skills. It's the same as group projects: if you do the work for everyone then the other group members will have difficulties in doing group projects when confronted with people who won't do the work for them.

4) Most of my success comes from a willingness to put in more hours than the next guy. I could make anyone here a millionaire. It's not a complex process. It's just hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I purposely give information which would require a bit of work to use.

4) Most of my success comes from a willingness to put in more hours than the next guy. I could make anyone here a millionaire. It's not a complex process. It's just hard.

I'd say that becoming a millionaire for most any psychologist is very straight forward and simply requires some basic self-discipline. It is becoming a deca-millionaire and more is that part that requires more work, intelligence, and creative thinking, IMO. I'm curious about tips you have for that.

I'd say that becoming a millionaire for most any psychologist is very straight forward and simply requires some basic self-discipline. It is becoming a deca-millionaire and more is that part that requires more work, intelligence, and creative thinking, IMO. I'm curious about tips you have for that.

Of course no one doesn't want to become a millionaire (Well, Pope St. Pius X was famous for wanting to remain poor, but I'm not the Pope), but I think it takes a degree of choices and sacrifices for psychologists that most of us are not willing to make. I want to learn to invest more wisely, but I dont have the discipline or desire for the work ethic involved to be at that top 1% of psychologists.

I think my grandparents are a good example--nice house in Florida and our home-state, helping out children and grandchildren in their older years, traveled extensively, etc. All children receive catholic school education, college, and vacations every summer. All this was from single household income (3 children) on an mechanical engineer's salary with a 40 hour work week and wise investing. If we can meet that benchmark, even in a dual income household, ill be happy. The rest would just be gravy.

Maybe that would take a millionaire in today's world, but I kinda doubt it?

1) Brutal self introspection.
2) Obtain starting capital
3) Find a niche. Preferably a market inefficiency
4) Apply leverage
5) Apply a multiplier

If you were starting a bauble business, it would work like this:

2) save some money
3) find a preferably huge group of people with money who want to buy baubles on a regular basis in perpetuity for a moderate profit. Sell to them.
4) Go get a business loan for a few hundred thousand with your house as collateral to get more money to sell more baubles.
5) Hire a large group of people to make and sell baubles for you. repeat steps 4+5 until you're dead or the market turns and baubles are now super unwanted.

Of course no one doesn't want to become a millionaire (Well, Pope St. Pius X was famous for wanting to remain poor, but I'm not the Pope), but I think it takes a degree of choices and sacrifices for psychologists that most of us are not willing to make. I want to learn to invest more wisely, but I dont have the discipline or desire for the work ethic involved to be at that top 1% of psychologists.

I think my grandparents are a good example--nice house in Florida and our home-state, helping out children and grandchildren in their older years, traveled extensively, etc. All children receive catholic school education, college, and vacations every summer. All this was from single household income (3 children) on an mechanical engineer's salary with a 40 hour work week and wise investing. If we can meet that benchmark, even in a dual income household, ill be happy. The rest would just be gravy.

Maybe that would take a millionaire in today's world, but I kinda doubt it?

Fair enough, whether being a millionaire will accomplish your stated goals are to be seen. Being a millionaire psychologist requires nothing more than mere self discipline and a decent job. Let's take a basic example:

Psychologist age 35 with minimal savings making $100k (at say a VA job). Saving 15% of his or her salary in TSP or 401K plan (not even the max contribution) annually at a very conservative 6% rate of return (an index fund should do this) will yield 1.23 million at age 65 (not including any extra employer contribution). Pay off all debts and boom, millionaire. The average psychologist should net between 2.5 and 4.5 million in gross earnings over their career. All that is needed to to save and invest a decent portion to net 1 million in savings. No investing wizardry needed. The more I learn about investing, the more I find that basic index fund or value investing (simple math to find undervalued companies on an earnings per share basis) are the way to go. Many new robo-investor programs allow you to maximize gains through tax loss harvesting and other methods with little manual input. The difficult part is out-earning that 4.5 million lifetime income earnings, which is why I commented to PSYDR about having 10 million+ in net worth.

1) Brutal self introspection.
2) Obtain starting capital
3) Find a niche. Preferably a market inefficiency
4) Apply leverage
5) Apply a multiplier

If you were starting a bauble business, it would work like this:

2) save some money
3) find a preferably huge group of people with money who want to buy baubles on a regular basis in perpetuity for a moderate profit. Sell to them.
4) Go get a business loan for a few hundred thousand with your house as collateral to get more money to sell more baubles.
5) Hire a large group of people to make and sell baubles for you. repeat steps 4+5 until you're dead or the market turns and baubles are now super unwanted.

Agreed, the trick is finding the niche and (the missing step in my opnion) ensuring that the niche is in compliance with licensing laws. Selling baubles is generally less regulated than healthcare.

Last edited:
Yeah, passive income growth via the 401k or whatever you have is the easy part. Without massive loans to repay, you can easily max that out at 18k. Set aside another 5500 in your personal IRA with low expense ratio funds, add in some employer match, and boom, easy money. Now, the trick outside of that is what to do with other disposable income. Real estate investing? Other market investments? Small business partnerships? Strike out on your own PP? Part of not starting out your career with huge student loan debt sandbags is having the ability to take investment chances and being able to weather the potential losses. Very few people become wealthy through wages. Most do it through passive income streams.

Wild goose chase? Takes all of like 4 seconds to find these things. Gorram millennials.

4 seconds is about the same amount of time as it took me to copy/paste a couple of links. In this case, anyone who is reading this thread in the future will have direct links. Saving someone else a little bit of work is not such a bad thing in life.

lol. Four seconds to find the first. I actually couldn't find the other book until I got the term forensic and then it was the first hit on google.

This is my point. Why make you (and every other person who did not realize to add forensic to their search) go through the extra steps? Making other people do extra work just because you had to feels a little unnecessary.

I purposely give information which would require a bit of work to use. There's a few reasons for this.

1) Most success is going to be at least mediated, if not dependent upon, personal effort exerted towards a goal. Information won't matter if someone can't be bothered to act accordingly. This is a fee for service profession...

This is an Internet forum designed to help facilitate conversation and mutual benefit. By your logic, no one should ask any questions here because pretty much 100% of the information in this forum could be answered by reading old posts, reading other online resources, calling local psychologists etc.

As I keep coming back to, withholding information just because you don't want someone to benefit from your efforts... well, that's not why I find this site to be valuable.

@madeincanada what is the upper bound of your logic? Is it fine to answer homework questions? Do their coursework for them? Do their internship? Because that would alll benefit the receiver. And where does the "mutual" part come into play? Because it doesn't benefit me at all to read a few books that I bought with my own money in my own time, create an actionable summary on my own time which I could use for my own purposes, and give it away so that others could become my competitors without the work.

@Sanman wealth like you're talking about isn't going to happen from healthcare because of liabilityXmultiplier effect. Psychology and the requisite training has other applications.

@madeincanada what is the upper bound of your logic? Is it fine to answer homework questions? Do their coursework for them? Do their internship? Because that would alll benefit the receiver. And where does the "mutual" part come into play? Because it doesn't benefit me at all to read a few books that I bought with my own money in my own time, create an actionable summary on my own time which I could use for my own purposes, and give it away so that others could become my competitors without the work.

I think it is reasonable to provide website addresses to books available for purchase that someone must read to answer their question.

I guess you don't.

And you missed my point.

No, you're having a little dig at me. I get it. But your complaint is based upon a specific set of expectations.

If you have a lower bound and an upper bound for the applications of these expectations, then it's pretty easy to have a reasonable discussion about our differences in expectations.

But if you're using an amorphous system that can be applied by your own whim, that doesn't apply to you, then a discussion isn't really feasible. Because it isn't about anyone else.

No, you're having a little dig at me. I get it. But your complaint is based upon a specific set of expectations.

If you have a lower bound and an upper bound for the applications of these expectations, then it's pretty easy to have a reasonable discussion about our differences in expectations.

But if you're using an amorphous system that can be applied by your own whim, that doesn't apply to you, then a discussion isn't really feasible. Because it isn't about anyone else.

I'm thinking he/she, rather than creating a system of morality to regulate internet interactions, simply researched and posted the links to be nice.

I think it's more about being a decent human-being minus the being a dingus component that is the differentiating factor between your examples and the others posed by madeincanada. I get it, you are super smart, you want to wow everybody with your self-proclaimed superior intellect (which has been evident from many of your posts). Perhaps being less of a dick and realize that not all psychologists, nor human beings for that matter should fit nicely into your "world" in how you think society should run. If you don't want to help, even if it's simply to suggest a link to somebody, then don't; just get off that self righteous cross of yours. Evidently, you seem to think helping folks out with recommending sources for them to read, or perhaps provide insight and collaboration is a slippery slope to you doing their internship and post-doc for them. Sometimes I wonder about the people in this profession...

What's funny is that I am the one that asked for more information (not the OP) because I was having trouble locating one of the resources and I was in no way offended or bothered by that. Research is part of our skill set and so I have no problem with being pointed in a direction and left to find the source material myself. It is sort of an automatic for us to do that in this field. With other psychologists who I work with I might go the extra step for them or even hand them a copy of the book off my shelf, but with students I typically want them to do the work themselves for their own benefit and because my time is valuable - literally.

What's funny is that I am the one that asked for more information (not the OP) because I was having trouble locating one of the resources and I was in no way offended or bothered by that. Research is part of our skill set and so I have no problem with being pointed in a direction and left to find the source material myself. It is sort of an automatic for us to do that in this field. With other psychologists who I work with I might go the extra step for them or even hand them a copy of the book off my shelf, but with students I typically want them to do the work themselves for their own benefit and because my time is valuable - literally.

This is geared towards the banter I see between himself and madeincanada, not so much from the OP, despite that being the catalyst for our current discussion. Either way, it's not so much that "you" might have not been offended, but that others, such as myself might be offended by his "professionalism" or candor on the forum towards others. It's like being in class with your peers; you might make a statement for which most people don't get offended by it, however, perhaps 3, 4, 5 other students did and said nothing. It's always good practice to maintain a sense of professionalism amongst your peers. Some people may not "get" your humor, or "personality," which is fine, perhaps that can be explored should they have more conversations with their peers and colleagues to help develop rapport between them.

I think a lot of us differ on how we think we should interact with our peers and colleagues; as a researcher myself, I have no problem with assisting others, I don't find it inconvenient, nor do I find it to be a detriment to their professional or clinical development. Each person is different, thus, I cannot make such a broad blanket statement such as "if I do X,then Y will happen" no matter the situation. I judge people's competencies individually. So, in reference to our discussion, should I have known anything about what the OP is asking, I would happily oblige. You may disagree, and that is fine...we move on. The OP or the consumer of this knowledge can make their own decision based off the accumulated knowledge they receive from their sources (i.e., me, you, et.).

Last edited:
As I always tell people. It's your right to be offended if you want, and it's my right not to give a damn. :) People are far too often offended by things that do not matter and do not need intervention. This being one of them.

This is geared towards the banter I see between himself and madeincanada, not so much from the OP, despite that being the catalyst for our current discussion. Either way, it's not so much that "you" might have not been offended, but that others, such as myself might be offended by his "professionalism" or candor on the forum towards others. It's like being in class with your peers; you might make a statement for which most people don't get offended by it, however, perhaps 3, 4, 5 other students did and said nothing. It's always good practice to maintain a sense of professionalism amongst your peers. Some people may not "get" your humor, or "personality," which is fine, perhaps that can be explored should they have more conversations with their peers and colleagues to help develop rapport between them.

I think a lot of us differ on how we think we should interact with our peers and colleagues; as a researcher myself, I have no problem with assisting others, I don't find it inconvenient, nor do I find it to be a detriment to their professional or clinical development. Each person is different, thus, I cannot make such a broad blanket statement such as "if I do X,then Y will happen" no matter the situation. I judge people's competencies individually. So, in reference to our discussion, should I have known anything about what the OP is asking, I would happily oblige. You may disagree, and that is fine...we move on. The OP or the consumer of this knowledge can make their own decision based off the accumulated knowledge they receive from their sources (i.e., me, you, et.).
What exactly were you offended by or felt was unprofessional? I am genuinely mystified by that. From my reading of this thread, the lack of professionalism seems to be coming from the other direction.

As I always tell people. It's your right to be offended if you want, and it's my right not to give a damn. :) People are far too often offended by things that do not matter and do not need intervention. This being one of them.

So you think it's completely fine to be condescending towards others, rude, etc? You think "hey, if I'm not offended, we are fine, nothing to worry about" or "I think people should just stop getting offended so easily." Again, it's not about you...if you live in a world with other people and not in a cave, you should probably maintain some form of decency. We don't have to be friends, that's fine, but even I treat the homeless people here in Miami better than I am seeing how some people on here treat their "colleagues" in the same profession. I think there is a continuum if you will; at one end is being a complete ass, at the other is being completely professional; somewhere in the middle is probably a good place to set your sights when interacting with other people you don't even know from across the country. Who knows, we might run into each other at a conference (just hypothetical)...I would hate for that to be an awkward discussion. I know some of you actually do interact outside of this forum (i.e., at conferences), which speaks to the fact that relationships with some people are being established despite some people claiming that the forum is just a forum and that is it.

There are clear cases of condescension and rudeness, and then there are gray areas that some people seem to always interpret as such. Either way, you have every right to be offended, just as I have every right not to care whether or not you are offended. As for "treating the homeless better than some treat their colleagues," congrats you Good Samaritan! But, hyperbole and faux indignation gets us nowhere. We're adults. We can handle minor spats with ease, or we can just as easily ignore them. Many of us on here have argued for and against each other at times, it's how the world, and our field works. We don't cry "I'm offended" every time someone does not agree with us, or says something we don't like. These overreactions just make non-situations into huge derailed threads.

I think it's more about being a decent human-being minus the being a dingus component that is the differentiating factor between your examples and the others posed by madeincanada. I get it, you are super smart, you want to wow everybody with your self-proclaimed superior intellect (which has been evident from many of your posts). Perhaps being less of a dick and realize that not all psychologists, nor human beings for that matter should fit nicely into your "world" in how you think society should run. If you don't want to help, even if it's simply to suggest a link to somebody, then don't; just get off that self righteous cross of yours. Evidently, you seem to think helping folks out with recommending sources for them to read, or perhaps provide insight and collaboration is a slippery slope to you doing their internship and post-doc for them. Sometimes I wonder about the people in this profession...

The irony in this is incredible. You do realize you are telling me about the superiority of your way of helping people while calling me self righteous. You are telling me to either help in your way or nothing while saying that I am trying to make people fit nicely into how society should run.

What exactly were you offended by or felt was unprofessional? I am genuinely mystified by that. From my reading of this thread, the lack of professionalism seems to be coming from the other direction.

So after reading madeincanada's posts...I find nothing in his/ her responses that looks unprofessional. Pointing out to somebody that you are being rude or unhelpful or egotistical is not unprofessional, otherwise, we would all be pressured to keep our mouths shut and nothing would be ever done about it. I am more so offended by how he chooses to speak to people on this forum; and don't even go with the "how can you tell somebody's emotions or intent in text." You know it, because there are evident in many other posts, including when you express wit, humor, anger, frustration; the very selection of words and how one opts to construct their noun and verb sentences on a forum provides insight into the emotions or intentions of someone. I can tell when you are joking, I can tell when wise is joking, I can tell when you are not. Back to the point; how he speaks to others (i.e., talking down), acting in a way that perhaps a preschool teacher talks to a child in some cases when he is talking to an adult or possibly somebody his elder is not appropriate. If this is to be a forum where people can exchange ideas and talk about concerns about the profession, their career, etc. having people respond to others in such a way deters others. I for one avoid coming on here, I haven't been on in a long while, I am on break for two weeks so I had some time to kill, but here I am...same ****, different day.

So after reading madeincanada's posts...I find nothing in his/ her responses that looks unprofessional. Pointing out to somebody that you are being rude or unhelpful or egotistical is not unprofessional, otherwise, we would all be pressured to keep our mouths shut and nothing would be ever done about it. I am more so offended by how he chooses to speak to people on this forum; and don't even go with the "how can you tell somebody's emotions or intent in text." You know it, because there are evident in many other posts, including when you express wit, humor, anger, frustration; the very selection of words and how one opts to construct their noun and verb sentences on a forum provides insight into the emotions or intentions of someone. I can tell when you are joking, I can tell when wise is joking, I can tell when you are not. Back to the point; how he speaks to others (i.e., talking down), acting in a way that perhaps a preschool teacher talks to a child in some cases when he is talking to an adult or possibly somebody his elder is not appropriate. If this is to be a forum where people can exchange ideas and talk about concerns about the profession, their career, etc. having people respond to others in such a way deters others. I for one avoid coming on here, I haven't been on in a long while, I am on break for two weeks so I had some time to kill, but here I am...same ****, different day.

Is it unprofessional to call someone a "dick"? Or is that okay for you?

The less than professional behavior I was referring to was the use of the word dingus and the phrase "being a dick".

The irony in this is incredible. You do realize you are telling me about the superiority of your way of helping people while calling me self righteous. You are telling me to either help in your way or nothing while saying that I am trying to make people fit nicely into how society should run.

I have not made any indication of my way being superior, I offer it as a contrast to how you opt to treat others. Offering contrasting dynamics does not equal superiority. Additionally, I have stated in several other posts on this thread, that finding middle ground is probably the best approach. In our field, that is what we work with...some of our colleagues, peers and even clients won't respond to us equally, therefore, finding middle ground in how you approach someone completely foreign to you will ensure better connection and rapport. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Is it unprofessional to call someone a "dick"? Or is that okay for you?

You are absolutely right...sometimes, there is a bit of fight in me that I like to return the same treatment. I know it's counter productive, but in this case, it seems like you respond more to confrontation than cordial conversation.

I don't know, I refer to myself as one all of the time. Although I usually preface with it with "kind of a."
I am deeply offended by that statement. Everyone knows that the preface should be "total" ;) I have a few no shows which isn't good for a Friday afternoon Tired and too much time on my hands. :D

I see that PSYDR made the same point. MadeinCanada wasn't really being unprofessional, just a bit judgemental.

Judgemental? Really, that's what you took home from his comments? So, pointing out behavior and treatment that is either counterproductive, unprofessional, rude or hurtful is now being coined as "judgmental." I guess leave it to psychologists to find a way to reframe a situation and spin it back onto the other person. Is there any objectivity on this forum?

I am deeply offended by that statement. Everyone knows that the preface should be "total" ;) I have a few no shows which isn't good for a Friday afternoon Tired and too much time on my hands. :D

See...sarcasm, it is not only written but accentuated with emojis to help solidify your intent. :)

I have not made any indication of my way being superior, I offer it as a contrast to how you opt to treat others. Offering contrasting dynamics does not equal superiority. Additionally, I have stated in several other posts on this thread, that finding middle ground is probably the best approach. In our field, that is what we work with...some of our colleagues, peers and even clients won't respond to us equally, therefore, finding middle ground in how you approach someone completely foreign to you will ensure better connection and rapport. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Since you feel free to tell me what to do, your way of doing things must be right. Yet you call me self righteous.

You call me "dingus" and "dick", yet you call me unprofessional and judgemental. And you call for objectivity.

Judgemental? Really, that's what you took home from his comments? So, pointing out behavior and treatment that is either counterproductive, unprofessional, rude or hurtful is now being coined as "judgmental." I guess leave it to psychologists to find a way to reframe a situation and spin it back onto the other person. Is there any objectivity on this forum?

We're objective all of the time. Like when we post the objective internship match, EPPP pass, and loan data. Them's the real deal, none o that alternative fact junk here.

See...sarcasm, it is not only written but accentuated with emojis to help solidify your intent. :)
Actually just having some fun with words on this post.