People familiar with Nexgen...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyesfortexas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I have a friend that is coming out of residency and he likes a practice that currently uses NexGen EHR and he wanted me to ask anyone that had had experience with this EMR. I have read a lot of negative reviews about Nexgen from ophthalmologists. It seems practice managers love it but ophthalmologists hate it unless it is customized which I understand is very expensive to do.

My question is twofold...For anyone with experience with Nexgen what was your experience pre and post customizing templates. In other words, can it be made to be good if someone spends the money and time to customize it or are there problems with the EMR that simply can't be improved upon.

I told my friend that my practice uses EYEMD which has been incredibly easy to use and that we are very happy but it sounds like he will not have the choice in the matter.

Any opinions on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had previous experience with NexGen at my previous practice so I can comment on that. I have not been with that practice for a year and half so I don't know if NexGen has improved at all since that time. I didn't find NexGen very customizable and if you wanted to used customized templates they cost extra to develop. And if I remember correctly they were very expensive. And NexGen itself is one of the more expensive EHRs out there to begin with. Also felt their customer support was very poor. When we did have problems during the implementation process they were very slow to respond and often not helpful. My biggest problems with NexGen was I found it to very inefficient. I'm a pretty computer savvy person and I thought it took a lot longer than it should have to enter your exam and bring up a diagnosis list, plan, and enter the billing codes. In fact I found it impossible to do see patients as quickly as I had with paper charts unless I had a scribe. And unfortunately because my practice at the time didn't seem to care about my how much help I had (a story for another time) I rarely had a scribe. The only well I could every keep from running behind is saving a good portion of the EHR to finish till the end of the day. Which resulted in some long hours at the office.
My new practice has recently started EHR and we are using MedEvolve. So far it's been a far more pleasant experience than NexGen. It's cheaper. We are one of the first practices to adopt it so we are able to customize things. Customer support is good. And I'm able to finish an EHR note much more quickly. Hope that helps.