Pennsylvania Background Check and Fingerprinting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunealoneal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I while ago I applied to a couple PA rotations that want PA-specific background checks. At first I thought they were going to have me do that after acceptance, but now I'm not sure. How do I get fingerprinted for them if they only do that in PA and I'm not currently in PA? Anyone have experience in this?

https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm

^ Link to one of the things I have to do

Members don't see this ad.

I while ago I applied to a couple PA rotations that want PA-specific background checks. At first I thought they were going to have me do that after acceptance, but now I'm not sure. How do I get fingerprinted for them if they only do that in PA and I'm not currently in PA? Anyone have experience in this?

https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm

^ Link to one of the things I have to do
It's a lot easier than you would think, just requires a little bit of leg work. Follow the directions in the How to Submit a Fingerprint Card to 3M Cogent section and you will be good to go. Depending on where you live, the local sheriff's office will do this for you or you can google fingerprinting services near you. This part I assume you already know, but it doesn't hurt to mention it for completeness sake as not all med schools require an FBI background check and many students have never had fingerprint cards for this reason. I do mine at a local document office that that is a Live Scan location. They can not send the prints across state line but give you two completed cards in order to mail them in to the address in the link above. If, for any reason, you have to access the PATCH system that queries the PA state records, it can be done online. It will have to be mail, however, if it is required to be notarized. Hope I have answered your questions and that this response has been helpful.

It's a lot easier than you would think, just requires a little bit of leg work. Follow the directions in the How to Submit a Fingerprint Card to 3M Cogent section and you will be good to go. Depending on where you live, the local sheriff's office will do this for you or you can google fingerprinting services near you. This part I assume you already know, but it doesn't hurt to mention it for completeness sake as not all med schools require an FBI background check and many students have never had fingerprint cards for this reason. I do mine at a local document office that that is a Live Scan location. They can not send the prints across state line but give you two completed cards in order to mail them in to the address in the link above. If, for any reason, you have to access the PATCH system that queries the PA state records, it can be done online. It will have to be mail, however, if it is required to be notarized. Hope I have answered your questions and that this response has been helpful.

Thank you!!!

I just completed this for dental school. I can forward you some instructions just to get an idea of what you have to do.