Penis Transplant - South Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EXITprocedure

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I'm a medical student at Stellenbosch University in South Africa where about a week ago, our Urology staff announced to the media that the first successful penis transplant had been performed in December 2014, with the patient having regained most urinary and sexual function by the time the press conference was held.

I'd just like to hear any comments that you might have? Most of the local media coverage has been positive, but there have been a multitude of social media comments regarding whether penis transplantation is a worthy allocation of medical funds and research.

Thoughts? International reactions academically speaking?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is worthy of research and funds. If a woman losing a breast or breasts to cancer is worthy of reconstruction and funding, etc (and it is), then why shouldn't a man be entitled to the same for the organ that makes them fundamentally a man?

Yes it is worthy of research and funds. If a woman losing a breast or breasts to cancer is worthy of reconstruction and funding, etc (and it is), then why shouldn't a man be entitled to the same for the organ that makes them fundamentally a man?
In this case the man lost his penis to an elective circumcision, which is not quite the same as cancer. I agree with your point otherwise. There are clinical trials underway for foreskin regeneration, as well, and hopefully the number of unnecessary circumcisions will continue to decline making this more and more of a non-issue.