Peds Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PneumonicSonic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work as a Radiology assistant, the techs take the images and send it to the doctor. They physician then diagnoses what they find(if they find anything). I work in the ED and I'm pretty sure that the Radiologists is somewhere other than the ED, so the Emergency Medicine physicians tells the patient what the Radiologist finds.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pediatric radiology will have a relatively narrow appeal for private practice groups. Our group has not hired a pediatric radiologist in over fifteen years, and we have recruited and hired every other flavor multiples times since. In fact, I am not sure if we would ever hire a pediatric radiologist again, unless he/she were dual fellowship trained in something else OR a woman with strong mammo interest and skills. To read a few pediatric x-rays and ultrasounds in a community hospital setting...why bother?

If there is a large pediatric referral base or the group covers one or more children's hospitals, there will be a need for pediatric radiologists. Obviously, an academic center where there is a children's hospital will absolutely need to staff their radiology department with subspecialty pediatric radiologists.

That said, if pediatric radiology appeals to you, I would advise you to train at a top place, excel in your subspecialty, develop good interpersonal skills and professional relationships, and it will work out fine. (Of course, I could replace "pediatric radiology" in the previous sentence with any radiology or non-radiology specialty, and the advice would still ring true.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Future pediatric fellow at Miami Children's Hospital here. I was inspired by on of my favorite attendings in my program to pursue pediatric radiology. Additionally, I always enjoyed the environment of a children's hospital. I got the opportunity to work for not only the Children's hospital near my home but also where I was a patient as a kid. I am excited.

As far as some of your questions: With flouro in particular, there is a bunch of patient interaction if that is your interest.

Peds is kind of a low supply low demand field. People generally stay in academics, however the previous fellow in my program ended up doing private practice in Miami. So the jobs do exist.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Future pediatric fellow at Miami Children's Hospital here. I was inspired by on of my favorite attendings in my program to pursue pediatric radiology. Additionally, I always enjoyed the environment of a children's hospital. I got the opportunity to work for not only the Children's hospital near my home but also where I was a patient as a kid. I am excited.

As far as some of your questions: With flouro in particular, there is a bunch of patient interaction if that is your interest.

Peds is kind of a low supply low demand field. People generally stay in academics, however the previous fellow in my program ended up doing private practice in Miami. So the jobs do exist.

If you have any other questions let me know.
@greg1184 I'm an M2 who's been set on academic pediatrics. I'm starting to explore the idea of pediatric radiology. I've heard it described as a "very tight" job market. Would you agree? Also, money is clearly not a driving factor, but would an academic peds radiologist made significantly less than an adult radiologist?

Also, I really like working in teams of professionals. I couldn't be isolated all day. How is that balance in peds radiology?

The amount of time you spend with clinicians is practice dependent. At my institution, the NICU and PICU round every morning in radiology. We also participate in tumor boards and peds surgery conference.

The peds job market is opening up, now. Only a few years ago, though, the ACR said there were essentially no peds rads jobs.

Remember that even if you want to do peds radiology, you have to like all of it (only like 3 months are required in a 5 year residency).

Advantage to peds, you still get to be a generalist, but for little ones. Meaning, you’ll read plain films, ultrasound, ct, MRI, perform fluoro and do basic procedures.

In terms of payment, because the cross sectional volume is generally lower, peds radiologists generate fewer RVUs. I believe they’ll get paid about the same most places, but it requires RVU multipliers.

Reactions: 1 user