Peds Chances - DO student w/ low score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apgar69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student with a horrific comlex score (I'm just relieved I passed!)

COMLEX 1: 417
USMLE: None

I'm really wanting to do peds/neonatology. Should I be applying to both AOA/ACGME programs or only AOA programs? Is this specialty and/or fellowship out of my reach?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year DO student with a horrific comlex score (I'm just relieved I passed!)

COMLEX 1: 417
USMLE: None

I'm really wanting to do peds/neonatology. Should I be applying to both AOA/ACGME programs or only AOA programs? Is this specialty and/or fellowship out of my reach?
I won't pretend to be an expert here as I'm similarly a student but from what I've gathered on here and talking with neo atrendingns in really life neo is quite attainable if you work hard during residency (regardless if it's aoa or acgme). Also if you look at last years felowshuo report there were more spots than applicants to neo. But, I'll let someone who actually knows what they are talking about chime in.

If it's any consolation I know of 2 DO neo fellows who only took comlex and their levels ones were in your ballpark. GL to you!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be honest, when it comes to DOs, if they only have a COMPLEX score, they are not typically offered an interview at our program (which isn't Neonatalogy, so take that with a grain of salt). For DOs to be competitive, they need a USMLE score. This isn't meant to be prejudice against DOs, but on paper, board scores are one of the few metrics that are comparable among applicants. If 99% of all the applicants take the USMLE and 1% only take the COMPLEX, it makes it very hard to objectively compare them to the other applicants. If you can't be easily compared to the other applicants, of which there may be 80 for 3-4 spots, your application isn't really considered. Now saying that, there are many programs out there for fellowship training and I'm sure they don't all have the same requirements, but I will say that in my limited experience at 2 different programs (again, not Neo), you need to have a USMLE to get your foot in the door for an interview. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try with what you have, but the reality is the more you can do to level the playing field, the more advantageous it is for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your location. In a place like Chicago, the vast majority of MD peds programs don't require a USMLE score. That being said, there are no DO peds programs in Illinois, so most of the MD programs are very comfortable with interpreting COMLEX scores against USMLE scores. That's not the case everywhere

Should I apply to both ACGME ("lower-tier"/less desirable programs) and AOA programs in Fall 2017? I know AOA programs are converting to ACGME, but I'm not sure exactly what my game plan should be since I'm caught in the middle of this transition. I realize I can't be picky about location with my situation and will be grateful to match anywhere.

Should I apply to both ACGME ("lower-tier"/less desirable programs) and AOA programs in Fall 2017? I know AOA programs are converting to ACGME, but I'm not sure exactly what my game plan should be since I'm caught in the middle of this transition. I realize I can't be picky about location with my situation and will be grateful to match anywhere.
Apply for both, and see where you get interviews. There are only about 12 programs in the AOA match this year, and all but 2-3 of them are dual accredited.

Apply broadly. Really, you just need to get your foot in the door. Once you get an interview at a place, the board scores become less meaningful in the overall match (though they still count to some degree).

Reactions: 1 users
You can check out the thread I started for comfort as my COMLEX scores were extremely horrific.
Bright shining spot in all this: I matched and so will you.
I would apply to both AOA and ACGME hospitals, do not limit yourself. Applying broadly will only cost you money and will end up benefiting you much more than you can imagine.
I never thought I'd land up in an acgme residency when I got my scores and what's even better is that the hospital places really well for the fellowships I want.
Fellowship is a different ball game and has more to do with your performance as a resident, research and where you do said research.

Keep your head up and keep playing the game.

Reactions: 3 users