PEDS 2017-2018 INTERVIEW THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenji_2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, with ERAS getting sent to programs tomorrow, I figured it was time that someone started a thread to post when they hear back from programs. I've looked at these in past years and they seem helpful! I'm stealing this template from the thread last year.

1) Keep the list in the body when you reply
2) Please sort alphabetically by state
3) Try to say what school/program you are adding in the subject line
4) It would be helpful if the person who FIRST adds a program could also include the date they received their invite.

Please include these instructions when you quote - And quote the last list available!
Step 1: Click on the blue "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of the last post (don't copy and paste since it will not pick up the HTML code for boldface fonts).
Step 2: Remove the bracketed things at the very beginning and very end. (QUOTE=username;numbers) and (/QUOTE) - where the parentheses are brackets.
Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title/subject line so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck guys!

Here is some advice from someone who did this process a few years ago:
  1. Have a list of questions
  2. Be professional to EVERYONE
  3. Keep a Word document - write down everything THAT NIGHT about the program. I promise you they will all bleed into each other when it comes time to rank. Things to write down: 1) general impressions, 2) the way wards are set up, calls/how teams are structured, etc, 3) electives - how and when, 4) where people go after, 5) location notes, 6) any other things that are important to you. I just had a template where I put all of those things down for every program. It was a LIFESAVER!
  4. Buy a suit that's one size larger - you're gonna need it with all the meals :)
  5. Don't be afraid to ask questions that tell you something about the program - you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you.
  6. This is Peds, not Dermatology! It's going to be, generally, pretty chill! People who go into pediatrics are nice for the most part, and you'll see that on interview.
  7. Have fun!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hurray for Peds! Good luck y'all!:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nebraska
University of Nebraska (9/15): PedsPlease

If that's based on reviewing today's download eras info, rather than an audition rotation or something like that, major kudos to the most impressive PD I've ever seen. Most folks won't hear for a few days or weeks from anywhere. PDs are all hanging out with us oldbears at NCE in Chicago for a few days.

Nebraska

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin (9/15)

If that's based on reviewing today's download eras info, rather than an audition rotation or something like that, major kudos to the most impressive PD I've ever seen. Most folks won't hear for a few days or weeks from anywhere. PDs are all hanging out with us oldbears at NCE in Chicago for a few days.

When I applied, Sept 15 was a Sunday, but we got an invite for our home program on Monday. I imagine that's what happening for most people. And at my program, the PC is the one who screens applications and sends invites (based on specific criteria by the PD, but we start interviews the second week in October, I think). I do wish I was at NCE--I got the short straw and had to be on call this weekend :( It was a blast last year.

When I applied, Sept 15 was a Sunday, but we got an invite for our home program on Monday. I imagine that's what happening for most people. And at my program, the PC is the one who screens applications and sends invites (based on specific criteria by the PD, but we start interviews the second week in October, I think). I do wish I was at NCE--I got the short straw and had to be on call this weekend :( It was a blast last year.

Home programs are like audition rotations, they don't count in terms of time for the PD team to review apps from the start. I hope the PD or one of the aPDs does a secondary look at the ones not selected. But, to each their own. NCE is a blast. We need to do an SDN get together next year.

Good luck guys!

Here is some advice from someone who did this process a few years ago:
  1. Have a list of questions
  2. Be professional to EVERYONE
  3. Keep a Word document - write down everything THAT NIGHT about the program. I promise you they will all bleed into each other when it comes time to rank. Things to write down: 1) general impressions, 2) the way wards are set up, calls/how teams are structured, etc, 3) electives - how and when, 4) where people go after, 5) location notes, 6) any other things that are important to you. I just had a template where I put all of those things down for every program. It was a LIFESAVER!
  4. Buy a suit that's one size larger - you're gonna need it with all the meals :)
  5. Don't be afraid to ask questions that tell you something about the program - you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you.
  6. This is Peds, not Dermatology! It's going to be, generally, pretty chill! People who go into pediatrics are nice for the most part, and you'll see that on interview.
  7. Have fun!!!!

Particularly agree with #2 and #6. No one ever got a professional job who was unpleasant to the office staff there. That includes residency applicants. In fact, be especially nice to them. Enjoy the interview trail and make new friends with both faculty and fellow applicants along the way.

4) It would be helpful if the person who FIRST adds a program could also include the date they received their invite.

Please include these instructions when you quote - And quote the last list available!
Step 1: Click on the blue "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of the last post (don't copy and paste since it will not pick up the HTML code for boldface fonts).
Step 2: Remove the bracketed things at the very beginning and very end. (QUOTE=username;numbers) and (/QUOTE) - where the parentheses are brackets.
Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title/subject line so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added

Nebraska

New York
NYU Winthrop (9/15): Jenji_2018

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin (9/15): pedspedspeds18

Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title/subject line so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added

DC
Children's National (9/18): phatmatthug

Nebraska

New York
NYU Winthrop (9/15): Jenji_2018

Wisconsin

DC

Nebraska

New York
NYU Winthrop (9/15): Jenji_2018, dmjfourth

Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep the list in the body when you reply

DC

Minnesota
Mayo Clinic (Rochester) (9/18): goghz4life

Nebraska

New York

Wisconsin

DC
Children's National (9/18): phatmatthug, pedsgal1234

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Wisconsin

DC

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Tennesee
East Tennessee State (9/18): ncklkrt

Wisconsin

DC

Illinois
Advocate Christ (9/18): pedspedspeds18
Advocate Lutheran General (9/18): pedspedspeds18

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Tennesee

Wisconsin

Adding OSUMC/OMECO, Detroit Wayne County Health Authority, Good Samaritan

DC

Illinois

Michigan
Detroit Wayne County Health Authority (Osteopathic) (09/13): WTEngel

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York
Good Samaritan (Osteopathic) (09/18): WTEngel

Oklahoma
OSUMC/OMECO (Osteopathic) (Tulsa) (08/21): WTEngel

Tennesee

Wisconsin

DC
Children's National (9/18): phatmatthug, pedsgal1234, canuckmdphd

Illinois

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Tennesee

Wisconsin

Hey guys, to make peoples lives easier, I have created a google doc with data validation points to talk about interview invites and an open chat sheet.

Give it a try and let me know if there's any issues in the chat box.

Last edited:

California
UCLA: Jenji_2018 (9/18)

DC

Illinois

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Tennesee

Wisconsin

California

DC

Illinois

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

South Carolina
USC Columbia - Palmetto Health (9/18): jes2018

Tennesee

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin (9/15): pedspedspeds18[/QUOTE]

Arizona
Phoenix Children's Hospital/Maricopa Medical Center: huskydock (9/18)

California

DC

Illinois

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

South Carolina

Tennesee

Wisconsin

Hmm interesting. Let me try and give you the link here again.

I think it may have been my firewall, cause now that I'm at home, I can see both. Weird. Anyway, neat idea. I'd like to point out that some programs have dinners on defined days of the week, which may make it either before or after the interview. Off the top of my head, I think Children's National did that (didn't go to their interview dinner), and maybe Denver. My program is moving to that this year because we're doing something new with our interview scheduling.

I think it may have been my firewall, cause now that I'm at home, I can see both. Weird. Anyway, neat idea. I'd like to point out that some programs have dinners on defined days of the week, which may make it either before or after the interview. Off the top of my head, I think Children's National did that (didn't go to their interview dinner), and maybe Denver. My program is moving to that this year because we're doing something new with our interview scheduling.

I get what you mean. Although there's data validation on the cells for it you can still type in whatever you'd like for them. Just makes it slightly cleaner to look at. (My mind works by seeing sleek data haha)

Arizona
Phoenix Children's Hospital/Maricopa Medical Center (9/18): huskydock

California
UCLA (9/18): Jenji_2018

DC

Illinois

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Ohio
Case Western Rainbow Babies (9/18): pedsnpuppies

South Carolina

Tennesee

Wisconsin

Sorry for the post, decided to start a new post since that would probably be more appropriate! :)

Asking for a friend because when I applied last year I had all my LoRs in time before ERAS opened. I friend of mine is applying this year. He has two peds LoRs and a third one coming in a couple of weeks. He has a 3rd LoR for a different specialty (not primary care) available now, but he suspects that letter might be kind of specialty specific. Would it be better for him to submit his LoR from the other specialty now, or wait until his 3rd peds letter is available? He has no interview invites so far. Do programs even look at applicants befoe their LoRs are in?

Added VCU

Arizona

California

DC

Illinois

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University (9/18): canuckmdphd

Wisconsin

Added MSU/Hurley

Arizona

California

DC

Illinois

Michigan
Michigan State University - Hurley (9/19): pedspedspeds18

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added St. John Hospital

Arizona

California

DC

Illinois

Michigan
St. John Hospital & Medical Center (9/19): pedspedspeds18

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added Morehouse (Atlanta), East Carolina Univ (NC), UF-Pensacola

Arizona

California

DC

FL
UF-Pensacola (9/18): ktma

Georgia
Morehouse (9/18): ktma

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina
East Carolina University (9/18): ktma

Ohio

South Carolina
USC Columbia - Palmetto Health (9/18): jes2018, ktma

Tennesee

East Tennessee State (9/18): ncklkrt, ktma

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added MCW 9/19

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Virginia

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin (9/15): pedspedspeds18, (9/19) goghz4life

Added UF-Orlando, and Albert Einstein Jacobi Medical Center 9/19

Arizona

California

DC

Children's National (9/18): phatmatthug, pedsgal1234, canuckmdphd, alr1108

FL
UF-Orlando (9/18): alr1108

Georgia

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York
NYU Winthrop (9/15): Jenji_2018, dmjfourth, alr1108
Albert Einstein Jacobi Medical Center (9/19): alr1108

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University (9/18): canuckmdphd, alr1108

Wisconsin

Added Vanderbilt and Western Michigan

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Illinois

Michigan
Western Michigan (9/18): tellme_areyoufree

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Vanderbilt (9/19): tellme_areyoufree

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added Hawaii and Medical College of Georgia

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia
Medical College of Georgia (9/19): jes2018

Hawaii
University of Hawaii/Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women and Children (9/19): jes2018

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Virginia

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin (9/15): pedspedspeds18, (9/19) goghz4life[/QUOTE]

Added UT Southwestern, Greenville Health System, and CMC

Arizona

California

DC

Children's National (9/18): phatmatthug, pedsgal1234, canuckmdphd, alr1108, ghostfighter

FL

Georgia

Hawaii
University of Hawaii/Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women and Children (9/19): jes2018

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina
East Carolina University (9/18): ktma, ghostfighter
Carolinas Medical Center (9/19): ghostfighter

Ohio

South Carolina
Greenville Health System (9/20): ghostfighter

Tennesee

Texas
UT Southwestern (9/19): ghostfighter

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added University of Michigan

Arizona

California

DC

Children's National (9/18): phatmatthug, pedsgal1234, canuckmdphd, alr1108, ghostfighter

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Michigan
University of Michigan (9/20): canuckmdphd

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added University of Wisconsin

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Madison (9/19): pedspedspeds18

Added Hofstra

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York
Albert Einstein Jacobi Medical Center (9/19): alr1108, orthostatic
Hofstra/Cohen Children's (9/20): orthostatic

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Madison (9/19): pedspedspeds18

Added Loyola Chicago

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois
Loyola University Chicago (9/20) pedspedspeds18

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Madison (9/20): pedspedspeds18

Added UT Austin - Dell Children's.

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas
UT Austin/Dell Children's (9/20): huskydock

Virginia

Wisconsin

Arizona

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina
Greenville Health System (9/20): ghostfighter, jes2018

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Madison (9/20): pedspedspeds18[/QUOTE]

Added Arkansas, Emory, St Pete, Louisville

Arizona

Arkansas
University of Arkansas (9/19): gotminniehimym

California

DC

FL
UF-Pensacola (9/18): ktma, gotminniehimym
John Hopkins All Children's (9/20): gotminniehimym

Georgia
Emory (9/18): gotminniehimym

Hawaii

Illinois

Kentucky
University of Louisville (9/18): gotminniehimym

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina
Carolinas Medical Center (9/19): ghostfighter, gotminniehimym

Ohio

South Carolina
USC Columbia - Palmetto Health (9/18): jes2018, ktma, gotminniehimym
Greenville Health System (9/20): ghostfighter, jes2018, gotminniehimym

Tennesee

Vanderbilt (9/19): tellme_areyoufree, gotminniehimym

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added Northwestern

Arizona

Arkansas

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois
Northwestern/Lurie (9/20): pedsgal1234

Kentucky

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Madison (9/20): pedspedspeds18[/QUOTE]

Added Northwestern

Arizona

Arkansas

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois
Northwestern/Lurie: (9/20) pedsgal1234, (9/20) goghz4life

Kentucky

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin

Added University of Virginia, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania State Children's Hospital

Arizona

Arkansas

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Kentucky

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania
Penn State Children's Hospital (9/20): canuckmdphd
University of Pittsburgh (9/20): canuckmdphd

South Carolina

Tennesee

Texas

Virginia
University of Virginia (9/20): canuckmdphd

Wisconsin

Added University of Texas Medical Branch, University of Oklahoma- Tulsa, Our Lady of the Lake

Arizona

Arkansas

California

DC

FL

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Kentucky

Louisiana

Our Lady of the Lake (9/20): doitforthepeds

Michigan