This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayaak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been working in peds focused practices for the last few years and want to go back to school to specialize in pediatric dentistry but I have young children and no support to consider a program that has an on call component. Are there any residencies that prepare you well but do not have an on call component?

Help please; I want it so badly!

Members don't see this ad.

I would hope that those programs do not exist. But I do recommend familiarizing yourself with what "on-call" entails for pediatric dentistry and the programs themselves. It may not be like what you're suspecting.

Pretty sure every pediatric residency has an on-call component...

Members don't see this ad :)
Our pediatric residents are on call year round, yet can nowhere be found on holidays, evenings, weekends...

Pretty sure that Howard University has no on call for their pediatric dentistry program…

IMHO there is more to think about than on call. Peds residencies can be rigorous, requiring studying, lots of early morning lectures, and a significant decrease in from private practice. Most will not allow moonlighting in the first year. The day may not be over after the last patient is gone. Chart review of the whole day is not uncommon. Evening activities, grand rounds, M&M, guest speakers, will pop up. Know what you are getting into, programs can vary.