Pediatrics vs MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loststark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am currently doing intern year, after completing my MBBS.
Some facts which can be helpful for providing your opinions.

1. I love Pediatrics as medical field. I have always excelled in my Pediatrics rotation. I have three months of clinical experience as house officer in the field, two months of electives under an accomplished pediatrician of my country. I know how to deal with kids easily, how to counsel and talk to parents. I have always been greatly rewarded by patients, attendants and consultants alike. And i like kids.

But my issue with the field is of general residency issue. I can't tolerate long working hours. I am a sleepy head who needs 6 hours of sleep. Even though in my country, especially in government hospitals the working hours are manageable. I can't tolerate studying in a way which cuts me off from the people (but that is more of how I study issue). Plus it is difficult for me to grasp anatomy and biochemistry concepts (And I will need to master these along with others for residency tests).

2. I love management and psychology. These two things come naturally to me. I know how to deal with people, how to assign tasks, how to find solutions and how to be strategic. The concepts of psychology come easily to me. I excelled in my psychiatry rotation. I don't like psychiatry because it is more logical and concrete whereas psychology is bit more abstract and i like that aspect. So I have cancelled pursuing psychiatry for this and some other reasons. (I have mentioned this in case this part comes up in reviews). If I can I can get MBA with major in general and strategic management and later on certification/masters in organizational psychology. I will have some concentrated working hours but nothing on par with pediatrics working hour.

Now there are few issues here as well. I haven't had any contact with mathematics since grade 10 (7 years by now). If I get an MBA that too in management I will be completely away from medicine but I will be working in management and will not have to deal with concepts like H-K ATPase blocking in PUD (and gazillion other details which I have to remember in anatomy, biochem, pathology, microbiology)

3. Some more general facts:
I have tried and done electives in almost every field of medicine and couldnt get around any other field except for pediatrics.
I almost quit medical school in second year because I just hated how my medical school dealt with basic sciences and since then I find it irksome to even study those things again.
I have always been over achiever in school and high school. In med school, I averaged in every class except those concerning pediatrics rotations.

And I have altruistic, extroverted personality. If some here accept Meyer Briggs test, I always end up as ENFP even when I took tests at different stages of my life.

In my country as pediatric resident I will earn 650 dollars a month for 4 years.
As an MBA from a good B school in my country I will earn 650 dollars a month initially.

I am a resident of Pakistan

Members don't see this ad.

Could you do both?

Practice Peds for a while and then go into Management.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not some or any hospitals/clinics would take a "fresh" doctor for management roles.

Could you do both?

Practice Peds for a while and then go into Management.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not some or any hospitals/clinics would take a "fresh" doctor for management roles.

Hi,

Well the way it is for me, I will rather try to be one way or the other instead of doing both.
I once had a mentor, telling me, that it is important to be as good as possible with minimum degree hoarding.

And it just made sense to me.

I can start from small roles and go higher from there.

The only issue is more flexibility of time vs prestige of being a doctor