Pediatric urology: income and jobs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THE FUROR

feel the furor...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello surgical colleagues :thumbup:

Im a first year ENT resident in Latin America. A couple of days ago I was talking with my cousin, who is about to finish uro residency in the US (foreigner, US grad) and he was telling me that he felt in love with pediatric urology and wouldn't mind training for 2 more years in order to practice as a peds urologist. However, he told me that his was unsure about it since he is afraid of lower income in peds uro compared to general urology. I mean, it's not that hard to get a job since probably there aren't many pediatric urologist in the US (relatively), but he thinks peds uro isn't very suitable for private practice so he would depend entirely on salaries given by large academic centers.

- Do you know pediatric urologists who also have general urology practices in the private setting?

- Is it possible to have a profitable private practice as a pediatric urologist solely?

- How much $$$ can you make working as a pediatric urologist in a large hospital (without private practice)?

I know he should be the one asking you this and not me, Im pretty sure he is making some more extense research about this on his own too but I just want to help him decide.
I would be very happy if residents, fellows and attending put some input. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bumping this just because there is no recent information on peds urology - Does anyone know the lifestyle (hours/days) / salary (comparable to regular uro?) for a peds urologist? I know that you will most likely have a more limited number of places to work, but can't find any information on the other stuff. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: asking for USA