Pediatric Surgeons and Trauma Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denathak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya all,

While doing some research on conjoined twin separating surgery I noticed that a few of the peds surgeons who did conj. twins sep. have training/history in trauma/critical care surgery. Is this just a coincidence? I presume it is, but curious is there is a correlation.
  • Dr. Steven Stylano, Director of Pediatric Surgery, Columbia : 2 Years Trauma @ Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma, Boston.
  • Dr. Gary Hartman, Director of Pediatric Surgery, Stanford : Board Certification Surgery Critical Care.
  • Either one or two others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes pediatric surgeons will do additional fellowships, usually before getting into a pediatric surgery fellowship, as a way to improve their applications. I know of several that did adult trauma/critical care and there are also some I know that did pediatric critical care fellowships.

Reactions: 2 users
LucidSplash is correct. There are 2 basic pathways into pedi surg. 1. 2 or more years of research after or during general surgery residency. 2. pediatric surgical critical care year +/- research (there are 11 programs specific to pediatric surgical critical care currently; see

APSA - Pediatric Surgery Critical Care Fellowships
So some pediatric surgeons also end up boarded in surgical critical care. Additionally, there are minimally invasive, oncologic, etc fellowships as well, so if someone doesn't match initially then they might do a year or two of that prior to reapplying to strengthen their application/pursue their interests.