Pediatric Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fundamentals

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently matched to DR and am stoked to be working in this field! Since it's pretty commonplace to do a fellowship to get a job, I had a question about pediatric radiology.

Why is this fellowship relatively unpopular among radiology residents? On my tour, almost noone was even considering it, and residents at several programs were indicating that they knew very few people pursuing this. I'm one of those people that definitely appreciates clinician interaction and being a part of that team, and I wonder if pediatric radiology allows for greater exposure to this. What are the main logistical differences between pediatric rads and other fellowships (outside of the fact that its kids vs adults imaging)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a very small field. Not a lot of jobs, especially in private practice. Kids just don't get sick as much as adults and when they do, we try not to expose them to ionizing radiation.

I assume in a town that doesn't have a children's hospital a PP radiologist would be expected to read any scans on children even if they have a fellowship in something else correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume in a town that doesn't have a children's hospital a PP radiologist would be expected to read any scans on children even if they have a fellowship in something else correct?
Even in towns with a children's hospital, a PP radiologist will be reading some peds.

Many people who do a peds fellowship also end up in academics which is great if thats what you want to do with your career. In private practice, other fellowships are more marketable. You might have to read some peds anyhow, but the high level complicated stuff will end up in the nearby academic center.

I think it is very limiting for one's career. In today's market, you are committing yourself to an academic setting in a children's hospital or a large group with a significant pediatric volume. In the latter, there is a good chance that you will be doing some general work (not that there's anything wrong with it).

That said, if you like it, do it.

Reactions: 1 user