Pediatric IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IR_2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just have a few questions:

1) What are the best pediatric IR programs in the country?

2) What pediatric diseases are treated by IR?

3) Are there any opportunities for long-term physician-patient relationships in pediatric IR (ie, besides HHT patients)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are one-year peds-IR fellowships available for pediatric radiologists and interventional radiologists, however I don't think there's a formal boarding process like with IR and neuro-IR. Boston Children's is a good example: http://www.childrenshospital.org/ce...sidencies/interventional-radiology-fellowship

There are a lot of overlaps with adult body-IR. The unique procedures include treatment of lymphatic malformations and vascular tumors, which are less common in adults. The fellowship at Boston Children's also does peds-neuro-IR procedures, which have pretty much left most adult body-IR fellowships.

3) Are there any opportunities for long-term physician-patient relationships in pediatric IR (ie, besides HHT patients)?

The peds-IR attending I worked with had patients voluntarily driving 2 hours to come see him at his new office. However, I think his "long-term" just consisted of yearly checkup to verify that lymphatic malformation didn't recur.

There are one-year peds-IR fellowships available for pediatric radiologists and interventional radiologists, however I don't think there's a formal boarding process like with IR and neuro-IR. Boston Children's is a good example: http://www.childrenshospital.org/ce...sidencies/interventional-radiology-fellowship

There are a lot of overlaps with adult body-IR. The unique procedures include treatment of lymphatic malformations and vascular tumors, which are less common in adults. The fellowship at Boston Children's also does peds-neuro-IR procedures, which have pretty much left most adult body-IR fellowships.

The peds-IR attending I worked with had patients voluntarily driving 2 hours to come see him at his new office. However, I think his "long-term" just consisted of yearly checkup to verify that lymphatic malformation didn't recur.
Thanks for your responses. For clarification regarding my first question, I was referring primarily to the "best pediatric IR programs" - not necessarily the best training programs. Moreso interested in volume, complexity of cases, whether they have a substantial clinic etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses. For clarification regarding my first question, I was referring primarily to the "best pediatric IR programs" - not necessarily the best training programs. Moreso interested in volume, complexity of cases, whether they have a substantial clinic etc.

I don't see the difference between best pediatric IR program and best training programs. The subject is peds IR, the best training programs are the best programs.

Boston, CHOP, cincy

Reactions: 1 user