Pediatric Graduation Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmcg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious when other programs have pediatric residency graduation? My program does not have graduation until June 27th. Seems kind of late. I was just curious when other programs finish.

Members don't see this ad.

We graduate on Friday. But our contracts still go through June 30th, and we don't have enough bodies to cover everything in the last couple weeks of the year (we struggled with covering all the services July 1-2, without the current third year class and incoming intern class), so people still have to stay after graduation to work. We have a not insignificant number of people finishing at 5pm on June 30th.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program, 5 years ago mind you, had graduation about middle of June and it was rare for third years to have to continue working, it happened but is was rare. My program did this by limiting the number of electives people could take in June. It helped that we had vacation weeks built into our Outpatient months (which were a combined ED/general peds clinic) for interns and second years, so it wasn't a crisis for people who needed time off for trips or what not.

I was just curious when other programs have pediatric residency graduation? My program does not have graduation until June 27th. Seems kind of late. I was just curious when other programs finish.

We had a graduation ceremony mid June. It was 4 hours long and I had to go after one night shift and before another, attendance was mandatory. Residents who were on day services received sternly worded emails that they must be back in their 'work spaces' by 1 pm, even though the ceremony ended at 12:45. No lunch that day. They also gave us blank pieces of paper as we walked across the stage to emphasize that, ceremony or not, we had not graduated and could still be fired for any misbehavior.

We actually finished when the contracts ended at 00:00 on 01JUL, and not one second before. My last shift went until 23:00 on 30JUN, and I finished charting a few minutes before the deadline The residents at the two children's hospitals we rotated through had the same deal. However their chiefs were pretty good about making sure that anyone starting fellowship was working a day shift on the 30th, so that they could catch a the red eye out and be on time for their new job in the morning.

We had a graduation ceremony mid June. It was 4 hours long and I had to go after one night shift and before another, attendance was mandatory. Residents who were on day services received sternly worded emails that they must be back in their 'work spaces' by 1 pm, even though the ceremony ended at 12:45. No lunch that day. They also gave us blank pieces of paper as we walked across the stage to emphasize that, ceremony or not, we had not graduated and could still be fired for any misbehavior.

We actually finished when the contracts ended at 00:00 on 01JUL, and not one second before. My last shift went until 23:00 on 30JUN, and I finished charting a few minutes before the deadline The residents at the two children's hospitals we rotated through had the same deal. However their chiefs were pretty good about making sure that anyone starting fellowship was working a day shift on the 30th, so that they could catch a the red eye out and be on time for their new job in the morning.

That's awful. I had 2 weeks to myself, moonlighted with our transport team a bunch for extra $$$, got my packing/move for fellowship done at a reasonable pace. I think we got our certificates from the children's hospital at graduation (since those weren't the official ones), but had to wait until we had completed all of our check out requirements with the University to get our official certificates that were subsequently mailed to us.

Wonder what sort of shenanigans happened that caused your program to be so draconian, @Perrotfish.

That's awful. I had 2 weeks to myself, moonlighted with our transport team a bunch for extra $$$, got my packing/move for fellowship done at a reasonable pace. I think we got our certificates from the children's hospital at graduation (since those weren't the official ones), but had to wait until we had completed all of our check out requirements with the University to get our official certificates that were subsequently mailed to us.

Wonder what sort of shenanigans happened that caused your program to be so draconian, @Perrotfish.

The graduation was standard issue military nonsense. Other than the graduation I don't think my program was much worse than the other programs I was exposed to. We rotate through two childrens hospitals and both of their programs had residents working up until the last hour of 30JUN. Your contract ends when it ends.

We had our graduation ceremony in mid may. Most third years worked until mid June. Our schedule was set up so that the second years are the uppers on all the floor and icu services in June along with the residents starting to be chiefs. The rest of us saved some vacation time along with 5 "relocation days" so we were on official paid vacation during that last little bit. So yes, we technically worked through June 30th, but no one was actually around the last little bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk