Pediatric Gastroenterology Fellowship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiggyofTreitz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newly matched 4th year to a program in the Western part of the country, highly interested in pediatric GI. Since this like a lot of peds fellowships is a December application cycle that is sooner rather than later and in true neurotic SDN fashion:

How many programs on average do most people apply to? I'm a US grad, average step scores matched to a mid-tier pediatric residency. I see on the NRMP outcomes that if you're a US grad you're basically fine (48 applying, 44 matching) but I just like a sure bet (i'm the person that ranked 17 peds programs just for peace of mind, though my wallet is crying)

Thanks! And congrats to my fellow future pediatricians on a successful match!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify a bit, most pedi specialties have already moved to a fall (PL-3) match

http://www.nrmp.org/fellowships/pediatrics-specialties-fall-match/

Only 4 are still spring (PL-2) matches

http://www.nrmp.org/fellowships/pediatrics-specialties-spring-match/

It is my understanding that these were going to move as have others to a fall match, but I don't know the timeline or if it has been determined for the change. The practical difference is about 4-5 month earlier applications and interviews in the spring match. It is very challenging though as it means that those interested in the spring match fields such as GI and cards must make sure to get some exposure to these fields relatively early in their PL-2 year.

Now then, to your specific question. Pedi GI is not very competitive overall, but the top 4-5 places are quite competitive. It would likely be a good idea to, as with everything, apply across the spectrum. It is important in a field like pedi GI to have an idea of your specific interests, both clinically and in research. Doesn't bind you to them, but interviews are very long if you have no idea about these things.

How important is it to have research experience in residency, when applying to fellowships that match early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks oldbearprofessor! I'm guessing Top 5 places = Baylor, Boston Children's, Seattle Childrens etc? I suppose I'm one of those morbidly fascinated with chronic constipation and failure to thrive but we'll see how residency pans out.

Also bumping the question re: research

top programs depends on what you're looking for, similar to residencies. there are the ivory towers and there are smaller more personal places. it really depends on what you want. constipation has put a lot of kids through college ;) and every subspecialty has its version of it.

research will help-- even unrelated to GI. if you are really into it, and your program has GI fellows, express your interest to them. also-- NASPGHAN (www.naspghan.org) is our professional organization and we have a yearly meeting that you can submit abstracts to and attend to network. i know there is a program for medstudents to defray costs of attending, but i imagine there is some resident programs as well. finding a program i don't think would be difficult, unless it's in a high demand academic center or a highly desirable location with only a few slots.

good luck :)

--your friendly neighborhood PEG3350 prescribing caveman

What is the job market like in pedi GI?

It is my understanding that these were going to move as have others to a fall match, but I don't know the timeline or if it has been determined for the change.

Just to follow-up on this, both GI and Pulm have moved to fall match for those starting in 2017. Heme/Onc and Cardiology are still holding out in Spring match.

When do applications open for Peds GI this year?

They will open up in June-July of this year. It is a Fall match now. Feel free to join the official application thread for the 2017-2018 cycle if you are applying this year!