Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship Invitations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChipperChop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to open this threat for the 2016-17 season. I submitted my application when the system allowed me to. I haven't gotten any interviews yet. I'm currently a pediatric resident, IMG. Who else apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am Peds Resident IMG no interviews yet

I'm applying this year! Peds resident, US grad. I've heard from a handful of programs so far, mostly local. I was told most programs don't really start sending out invites until August.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied on 18 not sure if that is going to be an issue

How many people do you think one place interviews for one position? I know it varies.
How many interviews you think is good quantity? I have received one local interview.

I got 3 invites

I am not sure how competitive Fellowship will be having the same question how many interviews should attend as I have limited time off

I have received 4 interview invitations. I applied on 20 programs. I worried

Same is my case 4 interviews applied 30 places.

I am not sure if programs have sent all the interviews or it is too early. I am getting worried too

Did you get any invites from NY or TX

No word from ny but ny "area" instead. I didn't apply to Texas. You?

I have not heard anything from TX or IL, 2 interview from NY.

What about you?

I only applied to the northeast and midwest. I am married.
I suddenly got a number of interviews but I am worried because they are all very good programs that I dont think they will take IMG. You think higher rank programs interview more?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a word with lots of senior, they say Fellowship is not like Residency so matching in Good program is very much possible.

I have applied in the same region NE and Chicago area. How many interviews you have in total nothing last week total I have 5 interviews i am bit worried.

I was told not to worry just yet and to wait until mid-August for most interview invites.

I've heard back from about half of the programs I've applied to so far. I haven't heard from Chicago programs yet, but I've heard from TX and NY programs.

I did hear back from TX(1 program) NY(2 program), Chicago(1 program), PA(2 programs), OH(1 program) and I have not heard anything from MA and other areas. I am not sure how many program we should interview as I am in 3 rd year residency and have very limited Interview days.

Please can you guys update the state and from where you are getting interviews if possible.

I did hear back from TX(1 program) NY(2 program), Chicago(1 program), PA(2 programs), OH(1 program) and I have not heard anything from MA and other areas. I am not sure how many program we should interview as I am in 3 rd year residency and have very limited Interview days.

Please can you guys update the state and from where you are getting interviews if possible.

I'm also a 3rd year, but my chiefs have been helping with my schedule. How many days do you have to interview? Any way you could switch shifts with coresidents and pay them back later? I don't know what the ideal number is, but the fellows I've spoken to interviewed at 8-10 programs total.

As far as interviews go, I've heard from programs in NY, RI, MA, TX, MD, CO, and PA. Still waiting on a few programs though all over the place.

We might have the same interview. I have not heard from MD and RI i did apply there. Rest I have interviews from all state you have mentioned. Currently I have 10 interviews. It seem the first phase is over now once ppl start declining they will be sending the interviews I am not sure seeing this I will be accepting interview from MD and RI looks like waste of time treating as there backup dont have time and money to attend. Thanks for sharing.

I am planning to attend 10 interviews

I was trying to scale back to about 6 but I guess i'll aim for the same number...
I heard from MA, NY, PA, RI
CT, & MD sent me a "soon we'll contact you".. I don't know if that means i'm backup or they legitimately are getting dates together

How long does it take you to respond to them? I felt bad when a program sent me a second notice

It is going crazy busy I am on floor. I am not able to response till night generally. I think one program was bit upset too as I asked for one date they mentioned on the mail which I got a reply this date is no longer available. I replied them like next day.

I think they should understand as we are in final year.

I got a notice from CT too they said they are reviewing the application and will get back in 2 weeks if interested.

How are your interviews, I have them all over for many I am losing 2 days many of then due to travel and dinner.

Regarding PA are you going for CHOP and how many in NY I got just 2 from NY expecting 1 more.

Hey everyone. I was doing a quick search on pediatric endocrine fellowships... I am currently a PGY-3 med/peds resident: would any of you be available by DM to talk to about applying to pedi endocrine? I'm almost sure I will be applying next year.

Hey everyone. I was doing a quick search on pediatric endocrine fellowships... I am currently a PGY-3 med/peds resident: would any of you be available by DM to talk to about applying to pedi endocrine? I'm almost sure I will be applying next year.

Happy to help, though I'll probably have more useful info after the match!

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm a current Endo Fellow. USA-med school grad
I applied to 19 programs, got interviews at 16, went on 11 interviews. I'd say 11 interviews was a little overkill, but many were geographically close.
Endo is great, best of luck.

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm a current Endo Fellow. USA-med school grad
I applied to 19 programs, got interviews at 16, went on 11 interviews. I'd say 11 interviews was a little overkill, but many were geographically close.
Endo is great, best of luck.

Hey, thanks so much for the extra info!! Any tips for those of us about to start interviewing?

Hey, thanks so much for the extra info!! Any tips for those of us about to start interviewing?

I found the interview days to be a little more tiring than residency interviews; most tend to be full days. Most departments aren't huge and they definitely want you to try and meet as many faculty members as possible, vs the handful in residency. Definitely talk to the fellows to see what type of research they do, how protected their research time is, how they handle call, and how their fellows clinics work. I would also ask about how the program funds research, those on T32 grants tend to have fellows that do more basic science research, and about support for research (statisticians, etc). Many programs offer MPH/research classes at reduced tuition if that is an interest. Ask if the program has specialized clinics (Klinefelter, DSD, Prader Willi, Bone are a few that come to mind). At the end of the day, you have to be honest with yourself: what kind of Endo do you want to be, what kind of research would you like to do, etc.

At the end of the day, 99.9% of Pediatric Endocrinologists are super nice and caring, but I feel like you find the place you fit and hope they feel the same way.

I found the interview days to be a little more tiring than residency interviews; most tend to be full days. Most departments aren't huge and they definitely want you to try and meet as many faculty members as possible, vs the handful in residency. Definitely talk to the fellows to see what type of research they do, how protected their research time is, how they handle call, and how their fellows clinics work. I would also ask about how the program funds research, those on T32 grants tend to have fellows that do more basic science research, and about support for research (statisticians, etc). Many programs offer MPH/research classes at reduced tuition if that is an interest. Ask if the program has specialized clinics (Klinefelter, DSD, Prader Willi, Bone are a few that come to mind). At the end of the day, you have to be honest with yourself: what kind of Endo do you want to be, what kind of research would you like to do, etc.

At the end of the day, 99.9% of Pediatric Endocrinologists are super nice and caring, but I feel like you find the place you fit and hope they feel the same way.

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful response! I hadn't thought about asking about research funding or research support. I've taken for granted having a statistician around.

Thanks again for replying!

Just wanted to give an update to everyone waiting: I received 3 invites today, so don't feel discouraged about the fact that it's August!

This forum is going great I received couple of interview today as well. I think I am at my max need to cancel some now.

I agree. I have reached my limit and heard from programs I didn't think I would.

Thank you all for the updates

Last edited:
How are interviews going I have most schedule in Sept and Oct, kept couple in Nov beginning.

So far, so good! The bulk of my interviews are at the same time as yours (PedEndo) though-- September to early November.

Has anybody heard from programs in Boston and in Manhattan? If so, when did you receive emails. Thanks

Has anybody heard from programs in Boston and in Manhattan? If so, when did you receive emails. Thanks

Yep. I received the majority of the NYC program invites by the 1st week of August. For Boston, I received one invite in early August and the other a week ago.

Hey everyone,
How are interviews going? Have you found your dream program?

Hey it is now getting bit heartache I cancelled 3 interviews it was hard but I was not able to make it. I got one call today that also from one of my top option I dont know how to accommodate that I wish they would have send it earlier :(

Hey it is now getting bit heartache I cancelled 3 interviews it was hard but I was not able to make it. I got one call today that also from one of my top option I dont know how to accommodate that I wish they would have send it earlier :(

I think you should go! Cancel one of your lesser options. Am thinking you want to be happy later so you need to match at your top choice.
I've had a hard time cancelling too. As you go on interviews start switching out your programs, maybe? That's what I am doing

Thanks ChipperChop I have done 5 Interviews till now and out of that 1 I really like. Now have 10 more to go I did cancel 3 which I think I would have ranked at bottom. Do you have any idea how many interviews program does for 1 seat?
How is it going at your end any program you liked so far?

So far I have liked all of the programs I've seen! Maybe I should follow my own advice. I got an invitation from a program that if I had gotten earlier I would have gone...
One program told me for 1 spot they were interviewing 18 candidates. I don't know what to think of that. I don't know how to feel about that. Surely it's better than residency but 18 is still competition!

So far I have liked all of the programs I've seen! Maybe I should follow my own advice. I got an invitation from a program that if I had gotten earlier I would have gone...
One program told me for 1 spot they were interviewing 18 candidates. I don't know what to think of that. I don't know how to feel about that. Surely it's better than residency but 18 is still competition!

Wow, really, 18? Where was that? I guess I haven't asked programs about how many candidates they're interviewing, but PDs have told me 8-9/spot for a couple of places I've been to.

How are the interviews going for everyone so far?

This is so time consuming I am really exhausted and I am at my halfway. Every program I go they make me feel if they are really interested in me. I am sure they are doing the same with other candidates too.

This is so scary!!

I am more confused than ever. Thoughts on how you decided to rank?

I have 2 more go and and rest i am cancelling. I am having real tough time to rank them. Are you done with your interviews.

Also done and really struggling with my list!!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people are applying this year? From what I could tell on the trail, it seems like there are fewer of us this year compared to last year...

In my interview Trail I think I have met atleast 15 people i am assuming there should be atleast 100

100?! But 100 people didn't rank last year. I have no idea how many people are applying. Most of my interview days were solo days. I only crossed paths with one person more than once. I met about 8 people on my trail and I was geographically restricted. The only reassuring thing is that it seems like programs 8 per spot.. maybe?