PCAT study tips from "the 99%ile club"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry about the lame title..
anyway I scored well on the PCAT, and I want to pass on my advice to as many as possible :)

verbal 437/92%
bio 430/88%
reading 435/90%
quant 455/97%
chem 505/99%

comp 451/99%

Sure, it helps for me to know if you are a first time taker, what your goal score range is give or take, and what areas you are struggling with, but here is what i generally did:

Dr. Collin's with Kaplan exclusively (self-studying, no class) + the 3 pearson practice tests

I began about ~30 days out and spent roughly an hour of medium-intense prep per day every day, taking one timed section (bio, chem etc..) per study session, so one timed section per day, which I scored and reviewed also. This is HUGE, I attribute my score to finishing EVERY section with over 10 minutes to spare everytime. all the time. this gives you time ro review marked questions what were more difficult. and the speed comes with practice taking timed sections, one at a time, dont worry about full length tests untill about 15 days out.
I also studied one section of material each day from either Dr. Collins/Kaplan big book. Def purchase the Dr. Collins materials now now now! if you havent already and go to barnes&noble and pick up a kaplan book

Verbal - studied collins word lists/some of kaplans - this is section that is hard to 'improve on' persay unless it is your priority, simply bc most of our vocabularies are 'set' at least 90% by now. The chance of finding and remembering one little word from studies on the real PCAT are low, and for this reason I probably spent the least time preparing for this section, however! do prepare for this section, as it can be finished very quickly with practice and provide you much time to review your verbal answers. so i high score is likely for the reason of it not taking as long. the sentence completion aspects were more challenging than the analogies for me, but with practice working many problems, they become easier.

bio-the big kaplan book has an unbelievable amount of bio info, if you knew all of it, you would get 99% on bio everytime, and probably get an honorary bio Ph.D. from a prestigious university haha... point is, there is wayy more info that is necessary to study i.e. intense details on plant vasculature.... so dont get sucked in to this massive tome of information/intimidated by it either. Dr. collins does have all the necessary information but in slightly different presentation. *important* spend time with both collins and kaplan bio info and see what presentation suits you the best. I examined one section of the kaplan bio big book every day in addition to me daily timed section, this allowed me to at least be exposed to all of the material in the kaplan big book, also it helps to review the post section quizzes in the kaplan big book. for collins bio, aim for one section every few days, bc the sections are far more dense and long.

reading comp - this is another one of those where practice taking times sections will get you the farthest. i improved alot after my first 3 or so timed sections. dr collins rc questions are too easy compared to the real PCAT by FAR. but they are good to begin studying with. Kaplans are slightly more realistic, the best are the ones in the three pearson practice tests. on the real PCAT i was blown away by the difficulty of the rc passages/questions compared to collins, which i had spent most of my time prepping with. dont do that, rely more on the kaplan rc passages and pearons practice exams

quant- collins collins collins, wouldnt mess with kaplan here, their calc prep was insufficient. i realllllly needed calc help coming in and with the collins calc, although pretty intense to get a grip on, i became a calc legend haha... maybe.. point is if you can perform well on the collins calc, then you are in good shape, id check out kaplan to but dont rely on it or feel as safe if you are scoring well on it but not collins quant sections. every once and a while there will be a integrative calc/trig word problem that would just blow my face off, but other than that this prep method helped me (97%)

chem- alot to say here. this is prob the most importnt section on the exam. based on my statistical analysis of 21 full scores ive analyzed, this is the section with the most scaled score points per percentile rank (SS/PR) what does this mean? it means there is the biggest spread in the distribution here, meaning it makes/breaks alot of ppl bc the scaled score from here typically affects the comp % a little more bc of the higher range (ppl making sub 400s to above 500). so focus on thie section, also bc it is maybe the most important for consideration by schools. its huge, and its hard. Gen chem is tested about 75% to ochem at about 25%, so first off know gen chem. collins is the best in my opinion for chem, their practice sections were excellent prep, the best prep of kaplan/collins for any discipline on the PCAT in my opinion, if anything get collins just for chem (and kaplan for bio)
i was scoring in the high 90s consistently (this is raw percentile as in 46/48 q's correct) on the collins practice tests and i beat the cutoff for the 99%ile on real PCAT chem by more than 50 points (highest scaled score ive ever seen :)) so it def works and can get you there. also as an aside, beating a 99%ile cutoff for a section helps out your composite score with those extra points i.e. i had an 88%ile in bio but my comp was still 99%.... back to chem, most important gen chem concepts: thermochemistry, periodic table trends, orbital shapes/configurations, GAS LAWS!! mult. questions always!, and nuclear isotopes. these are the topics i would stress. use collins, go over a new section of material in it each day so you cover it a few times total in its entirety, take all the practice timed sections and you will be at your max im confident. for organic chemistry, you will have to know reactions, and this scares the **** out of ppl i know. but you need to. every practice section/exam ive ever seen had at least one organic reaction. know naming as well, as well as functional groups. collins does a great job with this, kaplans organic chem is insufficient when it comes to reactions, and collins is a little bit also, ive yet to come across a great PCAT organic chem reactions prep system. I was helped by the fact that ive been an ochem tutor for 2 years now, so i honestly probably cannot accurately judge how well collins/kaplan prepare one for organic chem. but the collins naming stuff looked the easiest to grasp as far as presentation style.

essay: zero prep. but collins has awesome prompts that seemed right in line with what i saw on the real PCAT.

overall: dont kill yourself, i was studying for max 1.5 hours a day, sometimes less, usually less but did so consistantly, HARD, every single day for about ~30 days.

everyday:
- ~30 pages in kaplan bio big book ~15 minutes
- 1 collins timed practice section, scored, reviewed, alternated topics each day to stay fresh ~45minutes
- ~2-3 various sections in the collins packets as review ~20minutes

last ~15 days or so:
-I took a pearson practice PCAT every 5 days
-stressed lingering doubts i had on specific subjects (calc for me)
-finished off all the collins timed sections until I had done all of them
-finished the kaplan big bio book
-finished all collins materials

after the real PCAT: i thought id severely bungled rc, and verbal, done not great on bio, decent on quant and ok on chem. dont be discouraged if you thought the test was savage. i did and came out fine.

please post any other questions, I will try my best to reply as soon as possible

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
How did the chem compare with the pearson practice tests?

it was easy. ochem reactions were super simple. know you gchem. for my chem studying all i did was retake gen chem 1 and 2 and ochem 1 this past year. barely even touched the material within the past 2 months while prepping for pcat. ended up with 98 in chem.

My daughter took PCAT first time a week ago. She ran out of time on math and had to guess half of the questions. Her scores are VA 99, RC 88, Bio 82, QA 55, Chem 99, Composite 97%. If she did not run out of time on math, I am pretty sure she will have 99%. Honestly, I don't know how she studied to prepare for the PCAT. However, I only bought a Kaplan's book for her 3 months before the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not believe being an Asian is an advantage. I do know a friend's kid always get D or F in high school and the kid's parents are all engineers. Even in my family, I have two relatives are just normal kids. One of them had problem graduating from high school. Anyway, what I am trying to say is if you really study hard, you can get the good result you want. You don't really have to buy expensive material. I also have a friend's kid who went to Medical school just by studying herself. She never spent money for an expensive class. She just practiced online from a free source.

I do not believe being an Asian is an advantage. I do know a friend's kid always get D or F in high school and the kid's parents are all engineers. Even in my family, I have two relatives are just normal kids. One of them had problem graduating from high school. Anyway, what I am trying to say is if you really study hard, you can get the good result you want. You don't really have to buy expensive material. I also have a friend's kid who went to Medical school just by studying herself. She never spent money for an expensive class. She just practiced online from a free source.

i agree. i am asian and i was practically flunking out of college a few years ago. oh and im bad at math.

As you can see, I put a "jk!" at the end of the statement I made. "jk!" means "just kidding". So I wasn't serious.

By the way, how did I know you are asian. I must have magical assumption powers, I guess.

Sorry that I thought you were serious about being an Asian. I wasn't quite sure what jk means. When I was in college, I was very good in computer programming (although it is not my major). However, my test score was always lower than some people who were not good in programming. Finally, I realized my score was lower because I only studied two times while these people studied 5 times.

There is a new book out for 2012-2013 that I got from the library. It's The Princeton Review "Cracking the PCAT." I've read about 80 pages of the 700 (ish) and it explains ways to help you during your thought process on the different sections. Anyone used or read this book? For some reason, I am finding it more helpful than Kaplan. I need a good score this time around...first attempt was baaaad.

Even though posted a while back, I just wanted to +1 this post. I just recently purchased The Princeton Review's "Cracking the PCAT" and I find it to be much more helpful than Kaplan's study book because not only do they review the material but the offer test-taking strategies throughout the book as well. I'll be taking the PCAT for the 4th time in January. :)

I'm shocked to see i managed to become part of this club on my first time taking the test. I didn't have enough time to fully prepare for the math, but i did review biology and chemistry extensively because i took those classes 4 years ago. Being a biochem senior helped, with not having to study genetics, organic, or biochemistry. I had to spend extra time preparing for the english sections since it's not my first language.

the breakdown was:
409 63% verbal - i was expecting higher
484 99% bio -
405 60% reading - ran out of time
426 88% math - ran out of time again (probably got lucky guessing)
484 99% chem - was running out of time
442 99% composite

The test was challenging and I was constantly either barely finishing in time or running out of time. I don't understand how people can ever finish that quantitative section in time.

the key to getting such a high score on my first time has to be collins. its pretty clear they have been copying the questions on the practice exams you can purchase on the pearson site over the course of a few years and compiled them into this self study material they sell. Collins is great for bio, chem, verbal, and math.

I also purchased the 3 pearson tests and saw questions on there that were word for word on some of the collins material.

so theres a pretty simple formula to getting a 99 composite. Buy the most up to date collins, buy the 3 yearly tests, do them all and inflate your bio and chem score, to offset the rest. And work on your vocab and calc/precalc as you go. I also recommend the princeton review book for reviewing bio and chem. don't rely on their exams though because they are not up to date, the princeton math portion is more gre like than pcat like so it was a waste of time. kaplan also isnt very good and not up to date.

Im glad this is over, i was averaging about 5-8 hours a day preparing for this for 3 months and about 8-12 hours a day 3-4 weeks leading up to it. i sacrificed a lot to prepare for this crap, some of which i don't even need for pharmacy school. the verbal section is nothing but a silly IQ test.

Last edited:
Even though posted a while back, I just wanted to +1 this post. I just recently purchased The Princeton Review's "Cracking the PCAT" and I find it to be much more helpful than Kaplan's study book because not only do they review the material but the offer test-taking strategies throughout the book as well. I'll be taking the PCAT for the 4th time in January. :)

Although my PCAT score didn't turn out amazing, I improved my score a lot by using that book. I believe the strategies helped me immensely. I don't even know if it was in the book or not, but if I finished a section with 2-3 minutes remaining, I didn't immediately move on, I let the clock run down so I could give myself a small break. It helped me to let my brain relax :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Dr. Collins does a pretty good job. Math is definitely not my strong point, but I still managed to do decent on the math portion of the PCAT. My advice: practice the seven exams provided (under timed conditions) over and over. Honestly the QA really isn't too bad, and like many have said, you'll be pretty surprised with the score you get (I sure was!)

WOW is all that I can say after taking the PCAT today. Man I was nervous as **** before the test but starting out the writing section definitely helped calm my nerves. I know a lot of people come to these posts looking for advice. The best advice that can I give is to do the PEARSON’S PRACTICE TESTS! ALL OF THEM! It’s definitely worth the investment. A lot of people think that the PCAT is hard, the actual material on the PCAT is not hard, it’s the time constraints that make it hard. And what is the best way to get used to dealing with time constraints? Practice, practice, practice! As for the individual sections, nothing really out of the ordinary, the practice tests really help guide you as to where you need to focus your studying. In a lot of the previous posts I see just about every says the reading comp is hard. This is true to a degree but it’s only hard in the sense that you really have to focus on what the questions are asking. It’s not impossible to do well on the reading comp, I got a 91 on the reading section and I am far from an avid reader. Some of the questions might be tricky but remember the answers are right there for you in the passage, you just have to pay attention to detail. The key for me was the break after the Chemistry section. Really take this time to refresh and clear your mind. Leave the testing center and walk around a little bit, go to the bathroom and splash some water on your face. After all remember that you have been sitting down for over 2 hours at this point, this mini break it much needed. Any who, I hopes this helps you guys. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
Thank you for the insight of the test. I am taking one of the Pearson practice test now just to see where I need to study. How did you use the practice tests for studying? What else did you use to prepare for the PCAT that you did we'll on the test?

99% in Biology
90% Composite =)

I just studied the Dr. Collins packet for a week and a looked over a few Kaplan books. Simple enough.

What are the various courses available for PCAT?
I see there is Dr. Collins, Kaplan and of course Pearson. Anything else or are these my only options:confused:

I just wrote my test two days ago. My scores were

VA - 478/99%
Bio - 440/95%
RC - 426/91%
QA - 447/97%
Chem - 449/97%
Composite - 99%

How I studied
I got the collins pcat on new years eve. For the next two days, I worked on and finished the inorganic chem section. I got bored of studying so I took a two week break. For the two weeks after that, I read and made notes on collins quant, verbal, and chem sections. I did the practice tests for verbal, chem, bio, and quant each twice, so that by the second time around I was getting at least 95% raw score on each one. I made notes on every question I got wrong, which was the most helpful part I think. I did one practice test for RC and was like haha this is easy I'm not doing anymore. Did not even look at the essay prompts provided. Jan 28th comes around, and I pick up Kaplan and start reading the bio section. Got through 3/4 of it until I had to get out of the car and into the exam room. When exam time came, reading comprehension caught me completely off guard, didn't even get to finish the last test. Dr collins is absolutely not sufficient practice for RC. And I was somehow not aware there were two essays until I came back from my break and there the second one was waiting for me.

Overall, I feel like some people are over-studying. Unless you haven't taken the prereq courses, there's is absolutely no need to spend obscene amounts of time and money on this thing. To future writers, keep calm and science on!

I have been searching this site for an hour and cannot figure out where I can buy a more recent/new Dr Collins study guide. I would like a 2012 or even possibly a new one but I have no idea where to look online. Amazon has a 2011 and it is just a packet of loose leaf paper. Is that what it really is? Please help!

I have been searching this site for an hour and cannot figure out where I can buy a more recent/new Dr Collins study guide. I would like a 2012 or even possibly a new one but I have no idea where to look online. Amazon has a 2011 and it is just a packet of loose leaf paper. Is that what it really is? Please help!

you may want to try your local craigslist

I also cannot find the Dr Collins study pack anywhere online. Not even my local Craigslist has them. Ive been searching for days and found nothing. I know people sell it here but I dont want to fork out $150+ to a random stranger and have them not send me anything.

Can anyone who has them tell me how they purchased the study guide?

exactly. collins is even less of a 'teaching' supplement than the kaplan book, I think this is why some ppl dont take to it well, bc they expect the material to be taught to them, similar to how it was in classes.. this is not the case, scoring well on the PCAT is hard and takes intense prep, to really maximize the collins materials you must have an understanding going into it. collins mainly helped me 'feel out' the exam and know what to expect

Hi can you or anyone else tell me where I can buy Dr Collins pcat review?? Thanks for all the information everyone.

Hi can you or anyone else tell me where I can buy Dr Collins pcat review?? Thanks for all the information everyone.

http://pcatprepclass.com/register.html#self_study This is where you can get it new. If you email Dr. Collins and say when you will be taking the test you will get updates set to you after each test date before yours. Say you plan on taking it in Septemer (this is what I plan on doing) and you buy Dr. Collins now, you will get an update after the July test dates for free. It is kind of expensive new, $360 but I feel like it is worth it. So many people on here say it is the way to go to get a really nice score. Good luck!

You guys need to get over yourselves... 99th percentile club? Gimme a break! My scores beat every single one of yours and trust me, you're in for a reality check when once you set foot in the classroom on your first day, no one there is going to give a **** about what you got on your PCAT. Actually hasn't come up in the past 3 years of pharmacy school or during residency interviews.

Congrats on a good test score, I was excited too, but just thought I'd put it in perspective for you...

You guys need to get over yourselves... 99th percentile club? Gimme a break! My scores beat every single one of yours and trust me, you're in for a reality check when once you set foot in the classroom on your first day, no one there is going to give a **** about what you got on your PCAT. Actually hasn't come up in the past 3 years of pharmacy school or during residency interviews.

Congrats on a good test score, I was excited too, but just thought I'd put it in perspective for you...

Cool story bro. Except this thread wasn't meant for people to come brag about test scores. Perhaps if you had gotten past the 1st sentence of the OP (or read the title of the thread) you would have seen that. But then again as you said you are terrible at reading comprehension. :laugh:

It seems to be somewhat common to overvalue the PCAT. Let them have their fun. ;)

are there any benefits to purchasing crack the pcat or pcat destroyer over other study materials?

are there any benefits to purchasing crack the pcat or pcat destroyer over other study materials?

The best thing to do is to identify where your weaknesses are before you buy anything. You can take a practice exam on the Pearson website and there are a few other shorter versions which would still give you a good indicator of what you need to study. Once you've determined where you need to put in the most time THEN I would suggest determining which study material would best suit you. Some are better than others in certain areas. It is a better use of your time to focus the majority of your energy where you need the most work.

this dude's advice is very good I followed it and scored a 92 %ile ...and don't believe anyone who tells you that a score like that is not automatic entrance that's bullcrap....IT IS!!

this dude's advice is very good I followed it and scored a 92 %ile ...and don't believe anyone who tells you that a score like that is not automatic entrance that's bullcrap....IT IS!!

Congrats on your awesome score! Just wondering where did you get in and what was your gpa like? I'm applying next cycle, pcat this summer...

It's true.. I scored a 99% and I didn't even have to apply to schools, they started calling me!

It's true.. I scored a 99% and I didn't even have to apply to schools, they started calling me!

The dean of my state pharmacy school actually showed up at my door on his knees in an Armani suit because of how high I scored. I told him that I cannot accept unless they agree to pay me to go to school. He obviously couldn't refuse so I start this fall. My student salary will actually be higher than if I were an actual pharmacist right now so I'll probably intentionally get held back until pharmacist salaries are where they are supposed to be; at least $250k a year.

For anyone who's taken the PCAT and used Dr.Collins, how did you study the material? Did you just read the sections and then do the practice tests? I'm taking my test next month and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

hey what's the best way to study for the Verbal ability part? english is not my first language so i dont really know much of those vocabulary words there

hey what's the best way to study for the Verbal ability part? english is not my first language so i dont really know much of those vocabulary words there

English is my first language and it was brutal. I used Dr. Collins and it didn't seem to help much. My view of the verbal is that you either know it or you don't. But either way good luck.

I just had a quick question, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. On the day of the actual test, will I need any login details in order to start writing my test? The Pearson website mentions bringing ID and everything, but will I need to have my VUE login to access my test, or there will already be a computer assigned to me on the day I register? Thanks for your help.