PCAT Study Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

9each

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! so I'm taking the PCAT this September and I was wondering which study materials I should purchase? I already bought the 2017 Dr Collins (RIP $700 CAD) and I'm planning to purchase the Pearson tests. Are these enough to prepare me or do I need more sources? like for the math, critical reading, writing portion?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, there isn't much you can do to improve your critical reading and writing skills significantly in a short period of time. I have been studying since mid-March using the Kaplan 2016-17 review book supplemented with textbooks. I feel like Kaplan has a great biology section, but is a little weak on chemistry, and very weak on math. I graduated 2015 with a bachelors in biochem, and I'm not worried about the chem or math sections, but anatomy kills me. The Kaplan book is cheap though, and it comes with two online practice tests that give you an itemized score summary for each section. It might be worth it just for the practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, there isn't much you can do to improve your critical reading and writing skills significantly in a short period of time. I have been studying since mid-March using the Kaplan 2016-17 review book supplemented with textbooks. I feel like Kaplan has a great biology section, but is a little weak on chemistry, and very weak on math. I graduated 2015 with a bachelors in biochem, and I'm not worried about the chem or math sections, but anatomy kills me. The Kaplan book is cheap though, and it comes with two online practice tests that give you an itemized score summary for each section. It might be worth it just for the practice tests.
Thanks! I already purchased the Kaplan book online. I'm also very worried about the anatomy section since I haven't taken the course yet. What sources do you recommend studying from? people on this forum praise the A&P crash course videos but tbh I can't stand John Green's voice lol

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem. I took an anatomy course at Univ. Houston, but it was garbage. The way my professor taught the course made you attend every single class so that you could copy his lecture notes verbatim. Mostly everything I learned in that class I memorized just for the test, then went straight out afterward. For A&P I have just used the Kaplan book supplemented with my old Campbell Reece biology textbook. I think together, these resources will be quite ample to prepare for the anatomy portion, if not more than enough. I can't give you any other advice on the subject because I haven't used any other resources. I plan on taking the three Pearson practice tests closer to my July test date, and that will be the tell-tale sign if I'm prepared for anatomy. Oh, and for math, I recommend Khan Academy videos.

Reactions: 1 user
No problem. I took an anatomy course at Univ. Houston, but it was garbage. The way my professor taught the course made you attend every single class so that you could copy his lecture notes verbatim. Mostly everything I learned in that class I memorized just for the test, then went straight out afterward. For A&P I have just used the Kaplan book supplemented with my old Campbell Reece biology textbook. I think together, these resources will be quite ample to prepare for the anatomy portion, if not more than enough. I can't give you any other advice on the subject because I haven't used any other resources. I plan on taking the three Pearson practice tests closer to my July test date, and that will be the tell-tale sign if I'm prepared for anatomy. Oh, and for math, I recommend Khan Academy videos.

Thanks for the info! Please let me know how you did as I'm taking the PCAT this September. Good luck!