Pcat on the 4th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrison18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I really fail at timed math examines. I am taking the tests from Pearson and score really well on most parts. On one of the critical reading parts I scored 100%. Everything else was between 70-85.....except the quantitative reasoning. I always hover around 50%. Time is a huge factor. I passed all of my prereq math with an A. My question is, if this is how I score in the real exam, how likely are the pharmacy schools to overlook bad test scores? Does anyone have any sure fire tips on this section. It's been awhile since I had these classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I really fail at timed math examines. I am taking the tests from Pearson and score really well on most parts. On one of the critical reading parts I scored 100%. Everything else was between 70-85.....except the quantitative reasoning. I always hover around 50%. Time is a huge factor. I passed all of my prereq math with an A. My question is, if this is how I score in the real exam, how likely are the pharmacy schools to overlook bad test scores? Does anyone have any sure fire tips on this section. It's been awhile since I had these classes.
How did you do? any advice? I score very low in the math portion as well. I freak out because I can solve looking at the computer rather than down to the paper, and then lol I get scared of losing time solving :(

Well, it was harder than the practice exams. I bombed the math with 47, I only got about half solved. I scored in the 87 CR 82 Bio and in the 70s in Chem. The test just seemed to fly by. I always timed myself when taking the practice????

Reactions: 1 user
I felt the opposite. I felt it was much easier and relaxing than the pearson practice exams.

I averaged 60-70 on practice exams. My actual PCat today:

Bio 87
Chem 91
Reading 43 lol
Quant 74

total: 82

Did better than I expected with little (3 weeks) prep. So I'm a happy, now I can get all this PCat junk out of my face lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the opposite. I felt it was much easier and relaxing than the pearson practice exams.

I averaged 60-70 on practice exams. My actual PCat today:

Bio 87
Chem 91
Reading 43 lol
Quant 74

total: 82

Did better than I expected with little (3 weeks) prep. So I'm a happy, now I can get all this PCat junk out of my face lol

What else did you use to study? Did the pearson practice exams seem to resemble the same questions on the PCAT?

I felt like Dr. Collins was very similar to Chem and Bio, and Quant was similar to the Kaplan and Pearson practice test (lots of word problems, very little calc)

I felt like Dr. Collins was very similar to Chem and Bio, and Quant was similar to the Kaplan and Pearson practice test (lots of word problems, very little calc)
I agree LOTS of word problems. I didn't really see those on the practice tests.

Did there seem to be a lot of organic chemistry? That's my weakest point in studying and the pearson practices don't really have a lot of o chem questions

Most people don't think about this, but really, the PCAT is a reading test, if you read fast, you get to questions faster and get "more" time than someone who struggles to read for a variety of possible reasons.

Most people don't think about this, but really, the PCAT is a reading test, if you read fast, you get to questions faster and get "more" time than someone who struggles to read for a variety of possible reasons.

Not only in reading, but it's also a test on test-taking ability. You need to be able to either know the answer in <10 seconds, or skip and come back to it later. You need to answer all the ones you know automatically first, before doing any problems where you need to think.