PCAT Kaplan Practice test versus actual one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DallasCowboy1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just had a quick question. Has anybody taken the real PCAT recently AND the Kaplan practice test they offer for free online? I am taking the real one in September. I took a practice test last week thru Kaplan and didn't do well but there were a lot of people saying it was way harder than the actual one. I have a theory that Kaplan may make their free practice test extremely hard to scare people into taking their course. Just wanted some input if anybody has taken both?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just had a quick question. Has anybody taken the real PCAT recently AND the Kaplan practice test they offer for free online? I am taking the real one in September. I took a practice test last week thru Kaplan and didn't do well but there were a lot of people saying it was way harder than the actual one. I have a theory that Kaplan may make their free practice test extremely hard to scare people into taking their course. Just wanted some input if anybody has taken both?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!
I took my PCAT july 18th and Kaplan in way harder. I was scoring in the 4 for biology, 40 chemistry, 25 for reading, 40 for math. My real PCAT scores were 58 for biology, 92 for chemistry, 57 for math (it would of been higher but i had to guess on the last 6 question and when i was reading them i knew i could solve it i probably would of got in the 70-80 percentile in math), but my reading was worse, i got 7 :( Only reading is harder. Overall kaplan is known to be harder.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! You confirmed my theory. Yea I had similar scores on the practice one and was scared but I was reading what people were saying in the post test screen. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Kaplan is absolute garbage for a practice test. I got the 16th percentile on my first, 58th the next, and a 97 on the actual PCAT.

Pearson>Collins>Kaplan

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan is absolute garbage for a practice test. I got the 16th percentile on my first, 58th the next, and a 97 on the actual PCAT.

Pearson>Collins>Kaplan

Ha sounds like my theory is proven correct. You have made me feel better! I made about 12-13th percentile on the Kaplan. Seems they are trying to scare people. Have you taken the PCAT recently? I am taking it in September for the first time in 4 years and I know it has changed a lot, seems for the better since the verbal has been taken out.

Ha sounds like my theory is proven correct. You have made me feel better! I made about 12-13th percentile on the Kaplan. Seems they are trying to scare people. Have you taken the PCAT recently? I am taking it in September for the first time in 4 years and I know it has changed a lot, seems for the better since the verbal has been taken out.
Yes I took it July 18th. I cant vouch on the changes since I never took it without passages or with the verbal section, but if you have any questions message me, Id be glad to help out

Yes I took it July 18th. I cant vouch on the changes since I never took it without passages or with the verbal section, but if you have any questions message me, Id be glad to help out

Yea I was applying to pharmacy school then I decided to take a few year break to work. At 27 I have decided it is time to try again. I remember the verbal was a killer to most people so that is a relief to know I don't have to deal with that. The passages in the bio and chem sections are new I do know that. Did you find them difficult? I assume they aren't straight forward like the reading comprehension passages. I assume you have to apply chem and bio knowledge to them?

Yea I was applying to pharmacy school then I decided to take a few year break to work. At 27 I have decided it is time to try again. I remember the verbal was a killer to most people so that is a relief to know I don't have to deal with that. The passages in the bio and chem sections are new I do know that. Did you find them difficult? I assume they aren't straight forward like the reading comprehension passages. I assume you have to apply chem and bio knowledge to them?
Honestly they are not too bad. Most answers can be derived from the passage but some do require background info in order to answer them.