PCAT and admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Booksaremeds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know what are my chances into getting into Lipscomb or Belmont. I have a 3.53 GPA, 33% PCAT score, have 1000 hours working in a pharmacy, and I am in multiple extra-curriculars groups. I feel like my low PCAT score is the only weakness on my application.. Any opinions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to know what are my chances into getting into Lipscomb or Belmont. I have a 3.53 GPA, 33% PCAT score, have 1000 hours working in a pharmacy, and I am in multiple extra-curriculars groups. I feel like my low PCAT score is the only weakness on my application.. Any opinions
I would recommend you take the PCAT again. Figure out what the average is for your school and aim for that or higher. Use Kaplan's study guide, take the Pearson practice tests (they are the most accurate with the score range you are likely to see on your official report), and maybe look into getting Crack the PCAT software (~$250, but has additional exposure to material, simulated conditions....the scores you get from these tests do not reflect what your actual score will be though)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lipscomb avg GPA is below yours, so you're okay there. But their PCAT average over the past four years is high 60's, so you ought to up it a bit.

Same with Belmont, you'll need to bring up the PCAT a good bit

Lipscomb avg GPA is below yours, so you're okay there. But their PCAT average over the past four years is high 60's, so you ought to up it a bit.

Same with Belmont, you'll need to bring up the PCAT a good bit
That's what I'm afraid of. Belmont doesn't really have a requirement for PCAT score. And I heard Lipscomb doesn't really look at the PCAT that much either. They consider R letters, GPA, extracirculars, along w the PCAT score etc. is it common to get in w a high GPA but a low PCAT score?

its common to get in with a decent gpa and decent pcat scrore (3.1 or 3.2, with 60 pcat). In your case the GPA could potentially outweigh the low PCAT score but I would apply anyway. Don't waste an entire application cycle if you are thinking about whether to apply or not. If you get in, great, if not retake the pcat and reapply. There's a chance you could be contacted and they may accept you but just ask that you retake your pcat. I've seen that happen with like 2 people. Anyway, if you need help with studying i would highly suggest buying Collins PCAT prep and the kaplan book for math section. I am looking to sell my stuff 2016-2017 collins and I have some additional books that helped me along the way. If interested feel free to contact me and I can help you with general tips and advice. I applied last September and got in. My PCAT was in the 98th percentile.

its common to get in with a decent gpa and decent pcat scrore (3.1 or 3.2, with 60 pcat). In your case the GPA could potentially outweigh the low PCAT score but I would apply anyway. Don't waste an entire application cycle if you are thinking about whether to apply or not. If you get in, great, if not retake the pcat and reapply. There's a chance you could be contacted and they may accept you but just ask that you retake your pcat. I've seen that happen with like 2 people. Anyway, if you need help with studying i would highly suggest buying Collins PCAT prep and the kaplan book for math section. I am looking to sell my stuff 2016-2017 collins and I have some additional books that helped me along the way. If interested feel free to contact me and I can help you with general tips and advice. I applied last September and got in. My PCAT was in the 98th percentile.
Was that your first time taking the PCAT? I did study the Kaplan book but it was a lot of material and a lot of it was overwhealming. I heard Collins is simple and right to it. What did those 2 people make on their PCAT? With those 2 being private schools, I know they aren't normally competitive.

Yeah it was my first time. I studied from Kaplan to brush up on math and focus on bio.
Collins new updates are what will make you score in the 90 range. Without it I would've been screwed. The exam is way different from what it used to be because they took out certain sections and added new ones. And no, those people weren't in private schools. They scored in the 50 range. And their GPA wasn't stellar either.

Yeah it was my first time. I studied from Kaplan to brush up on math and focus on bio.
Collins new updates are what will make you score in the 90 range. Without it I would've been screwed. The exam is way different from what it used to be because they took out certain sections and added new ones. And no, those people weren't in private schools. They scored in the 50 range. And their GPA wasn't stellar either.
Yeah my PCAT score screwed me up. I talked to one of the members of the admission committee and he said I could take the PCAT in February but I don't have too Bc the admissions looks at all of the application not just the PCAT. So now I'm confused what to do. I don't want to waste another year. I really want to get in the fall

Did you apply yet? If not, I would do it before the deadline. Don't be discouraged -- it sounds like the admissions committee is more interested in your application than your specific pcat score. I think you have a good chance to get in. and hey, they may accept you conditionally and just ask you to retake the exam. but definitely apply!

Did you apply yet? If not, I would do it before the deadline. Don't be discouraged -- it sounds like the admissions committee is more interested in your application than your specific pcat score. I think you have a good chance to get in. and hey, they may accept you conditionally and just ask you to retake the exam. but definitely apply!
I have applied. I'm just waiting for my pharmcas to verify. How does a condition admission work? If I don't get a specific score will they take away my admission? Also what school do you go too?

Im not sure of the details but all i know is that the person got accepted and then got a letter from the school that said they need to retake the pcat. this happened at Temple University in philadelphia. It takes a couple weeks to process everything through pharmcas. What i would do is keep in touch with admissions at the pharmacy school and let them know you submitted the app and what not. if the school has no minimum to apply then i wouldn't even be worried about your score. if your math and science gpa are in good standing you should atleast get an interview.

Im not sure of the details but all i know is that the person got accepted and then got a letter from the school that said they need to retake the pcat. this happened at Temple University in philadelphia. It takes a couple weeks to process everything through pharmcas. What i would do is keep in touch with admissions at the pharmacy school and let them know you submitted the app and what not. if the school has no minimum to apply then i wouldn't even be worried about your score. if your math and science gpa are in good standing you should atleast get an interview.
My science GPA is good. BUT is taking Pre-calc and stats right now so I don't really have a math GPA.. I did take college algebra my freshman year but that's about it. I was going to take calc 1 in the summer. Hope that's not bad :(

Yeah, at that point its up to you. I would research this and prepare for a few days to a week. research into interview questions, mentally prepare answers so you come there confident and ready to talk to them. The way i did it was i wrote down potential questions and answers and had a mock interview at my undergrad pre professional health office.
Admissions wants to see that you're prepared, but not over prepared. and they also want to see your character. so if they ask you something like "if you could invite 3 people over for dinner who would they be" obviously thats a personal question that everyone would have a different answer to. They will also ask you questions about the school, why you're applying to their specific program, why pharmacy etc.