PBM Contracting Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a staffing-contract opportunity with a PBM. Both are through Medicare D billing. One is where I call for patient compliance, counseling that patient and making recommendations if it is related to non-compliance, etc. The second job is a prior authorization pharmacist. I approve or not. Both are renewable and possible direct hire down the road.

The second sounds more clinical, better for the resume? I've never worked anything like these two jobs before, so I don't know if it is good or bad work environment or resume-wise. is it hard to get out of managed care or move around it after being in it with these jobs?

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I different outfit. Are these jobs pretty much equivalent? There is another staffing job that is LTC but with no IVs, some chart review, ocassional IM antibiotics...

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly would take the prior auth job. The Medicare Part D job is all phones and customer service. I only lasted less that a year because calls are monitored and you pretty much just listen to people bitch all day. Thank god for the mute button. I ended starting my real PBM experience doing prior auth and worked my way into new programs and networking to finally land the position I have now.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, don't get too comfortable with these jobs. Yes, they pay well but that's because it's a temp job and they need to attract and fill open positions. I've seen many pharmacists and technicians who work temp jobs and become so used to the pay that they're unable to convert to a "normal" (but secure/long term) position. Choose wisely!

There is a staffing-contract opportunity with a PBM. Both are through Medicare D billing. One is where I call for patient compliance, counseling that patient and making recommendations if it is related to non-compliance, etc. The second job is a prior authorization pharmacist. I approve or not. Both are renewable and possible direct hire down the road.

The second sounds more clinical, better for the resume? I've never worked anything like these two jobs before, so I don't know if it is good or bad work environment or resume-wise. is it hard to get out of managed care or move around it after being in it with these jobs?

Take the prior auth job...the other one sounds awful

Prior authorization for sure. The 1st job sounds like MTM. Only thing for prior auths is they look at how fast you can approve/deny PAs.

Hands down the prior-authorization job. You will never have to talk to a patient. That sells it right there. The other one? People will confuse you for a customer service rep and they will start complaining about their bill, premium, the pharmacy, their joints, their bladder.

"granted" or "not granted"

Done

That first job sounds like a nightmare.

The first one, if you really really like talking to patients. A lot of companies (chain pharmacies, tech companies, insurance/PBM) are doing this now. Do you ever move up? Seldom, it seems. But if you love it and need a full-time role, I can point you in the right direction.

Otherwise, the PA job.