Pay at Walgreens, VA, CVS in southern california

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBonita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what is the hourly rate for these locations and pay based on years.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone please share what your wages are at walgreens, cvs and the va in california please?

Retirement didn't last that long...Range for a 12 topcodes at 135k in SC. And if I'm correct about you, your civil service tenure automatically gets you in. Long Beach is where I would go on that area.

From Kaiser Downey, they are somewhere between 30 and 50k more than the topcode, so if you need the money, VA isn't a good option.

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS in that area probably has a base of 140k for a staff position. No OT in that area and you'll probably float. I highly doubt you'll even get a full for 40 hours. I'm guessing Walgreens is the same but I can't speak to that.

I was offered 143K starting full time staff RPh although declined (Norcal). Walgreens (per my colleagues) about 130-140K depending on area [Friends in SoCal make 133k-135k]. Rite Aid offered me 141K (Norcal)

VA... I'm not sure but definitely does not make around the retail sector.

My friends in SoCal make a bit less than my friends/my offers in NorCal.

Yes I am happy because hourly is usually better since some of us do OT or work less than 40 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I am happy because hourly is usually better since some of us do OT or work less than 40 hours a week.
The universal new grad rate is $65.50. If you have experience that should get you extra couple of dollars.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I wrote in salaries haha. My friends in SoCal are about 62 to 64/hr. The NorCal offers I got were 67/hr, 70/hr.

:)

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine said his friend who works for the VA gets paid the equivalent of 14 hours for an 8 hr weekend shift? Is the VA shift differential really that insane??!!?

Not for classical civil service (that's set by the GS regulations). For Fee Basis (aka locum) pharmacists, the sky is the limit and that's quite possible. For civil service, if your friend is counting OT for working an off weekend and getting the shift differential, I can see it working out that high, but that's that U&C pay.

For future reference, you can do a quick calculation on a calculator and get the estimated hourly rate.
  • Take the Yearly Salary number
  • Divide it by 2080 hours (40 hours a week for 52 weeks)
  • The answer is the estimated Hourly Rate
You can play with the numbers from there to determine how much with +/- hours.

Example:
Yearly Salary: $130 K to $140 K​

Divide each number by 2080​

Estimated Hourly Rates: $62.50 to $67.31​

For future reference, you can do a quick calculation on a calculator and get the estimated hourly rate.
  • Take the Yearly Salary number
  • Divide it by 2080 hours (40 hours a week for 52 weeks)
  • The answer is the estimated Hourly Rate
You can play with the numbers from there to determine how much with +/- hours.

Example:
Yearly Salary: $130 K to $140 K​

Divide each number by 2080​

Estimated Hourly Rates: $62.50 to $67.31​
For future reference, you can just divide yearly salary by 2. You will get very close to hourly pay.

Or times 2, if you want to know yearly salary...

For future reference, you can just divide yearly salary by 2. You will get very close to hourly pay.

Or times 2, if you want to know yearly salary...
Good to know! I'm used to working with people who are hourly, and my husband works in a union in a different industry, so the 2080 is just something that stuck :)