Patient outcomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpikesnSpookes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished my neurosurgery elective and loved the procedures. I didn't get a chance to learn what the patient outcomes were like, but I keep hearing from outsiders that neurosurgery outcomes are terrible which is why they never considered going into neurosurgery. Can anyone provide me with some insight on what the outcomes are like, in general? I loved the procedures, but if they aren't curing the patient much (like the spine surgeries) then I don't know if I'd be as excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I just finished my neurosurgery elective and loved the procedures. I didn't get a chance to learn what the patient outcomes were like, but I keep hearing from outsiders that neurosurgery outcomes are terrible which is why they never considered going into neurosurgery. Can anyone provide me with some insight on what the outcomes are like, in general? I loved the procedures, but if they aren't curing the patient much (like the spine surgeries) then I don't know if I'd be as excited.

Its a stereotype carried over from the days before image guidance and operative microscopy

It depends on the pathology.

For elective cases, outcomes tend to be good. That being said, when a result is sub-optimal, there can be severe consequences (permanent paresis/plegia, aphasia, persistent vegetative state, coma, death).

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the pathology.

For elective cases, outcomes tend to be good. That being said, when a result is sub-optimal, there can be severe consequences (permanent paresis/plegia, aphasia, persistent vegetative state, coma, death).

I apologize for my ignorance, but what are examples of elective cases in this field?

I think it's important to remember that recovery and progress after most neurosurgical cases is measured in months. If you're primarily seeing people getting craniotomies, then moving to the NSICU, yeah they don't usually look great. Clinic was great for this reason: I could see people 6 months out from surgery that had regained a ton if not all of their functionality back. But as others have said, bad outcomes can be pretty bad. It's a product of the acuity of a lot of the cases as well as the relatively delicate nature and regenerative capability of the nervous system.