Pathway 3 USA to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Canadians who have completed their residency in the USA and returned to Canada via pathway 3?
The doctor I found to be my supervisor would like to speak with someone else who has supervised in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any Canadians who have completed their residency in the USA and returned to Canada via pathway 3?
The doctor I found to be my supervisor would like to speak with someone else who has supervised in the past.
I am also interested in moving to Canada and becoming licensed to practise via pathway 3. I understand this is an older post, but does anyone have insight or updates on this process?

I specifically would like to know if the 12-18 months of supervised practise is a paid experience.

Thank you!

I am also interested in moving to Canada and becoming licensed to practise via pathway 3. I understand this is an older post, but does anyone have insight or updates on this process?

I specifically would like to know if the 12-18 months of supervised practise is a paid experience.

Thank you!

I am most familiar with obtaining an independent license with examination, but can offer some insight. I have firsthand information as I am US trained and have obtained a CPSO license in Ontario (family medicine). The overview for FM licensing in Ontario is:

1) To obtain an independent license (ie. practice immediately anywhere you want without a preceptor): You need to write QE1 and QE2 full stop. You do not need to write the Canadian family med exam if you have completed ABFM as they are equivalent, however writing the Canadian exam will speed up the process by about 2 months. If you can continue working in the states, then do that in the meantime. If you will be in Canada, an extra two months of sitting around is a lot of lost income.

2) To obtain a license through pathway-4 (ie. with a preceptor): You can directly apply with no additional exams. You will need to be precepted for a year, meaning you need to find a job that offers a preceptor (you can filter HFO jobs to see only ones with a preceptor). This also affects your income for the year as your preceptor gets some or most of your billings. At the end of the year, you need to undergo an in person/in clinic evaluation with the MCC; not a formal exam, but something like a representative coming to watch you in clinic.

I usually advise people to just take the exams if possible; you will make more money back practicing independently than the cost of the exams. However, I do know that if you practice with a preceptor, it is paid. Essentially, the preceptor pays you so its not what you would make as an independently practicing physician and you are limited to jobs that have someone to precept you.

Reactions: 1 user