Pathology Residency LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorKAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to have a Pathology LOR when applying to Pathology residency programs? I am applying this year but have no LOR from Pathologist because I do not have a Path elective scheduled until Oct after applications are due. Will my application even get looked at? Should I not bother applying without a pathology LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about this at all. Most programs don't care about this.
More import that you get some time in a dept before you first interview.

Of course your application will be looked at. LORs are not screening criteria like board scores and where you went to med school. It does help, but is by no means a dealbreaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
Helps but probably not the most important part of your application. Things have changed since I trained though. Nowadays a lot of students don't even have lab or use microscopes. So if you want path experience at all you may have to do an elective.

How important is it to have a Pathology LOR when applying to Pathology residency programs? I am applying this year but have no LOR from Pathologist because I do not have a Path elective scheduled until Oct after applications are due. Will my application even get looked at? Should I not bother applying without a pathology LOR?

It's probably okay in the short term (through Matching) but you should have some kind of experience going into interview season, even it's ancillary shadowing or laboratory work. Pathology has a problem with losing residents who weren't exposed to the field beforehand and therefore regret their specialty choice. You don't want that to you during residency.