Path to specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If OMFS, CBSE tops all. I heard that high CBSE can help one to overcome one's ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The ADAT seems to be struggling to gain widespread adoption. Probably because it's ridiculous to assume 160 questions covering potentially anything taught in dental school is valid measure of one's knowledge (there's another 40 on data interpretation).

Big Hoss
Does the content differ on the ADAT from NBDE?

Also, if the NBDE is now P/F, does that mean matching is only dependent on class rank, letters of recommendation, research experience, and intern/externships?

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, if the NBDE is now P/F, does that mean matching is only dependent on class rank, letters of recommendation, research experience, and intern/externships?
The ADAT is pretty much an abbreviated combination of Parts 1 and 2. The other things you've mentioned have always been important factors for Matching and nothing has changed there.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user

CBSE is USMLE step 1. The ADAT is vastly more simple.

Reactions: 1 users
The ADAT is pretty much an abbreviated combination of Parts 1 and 2. The other things you've mentioned have always been important factors for Matching and nothing has changed there.

Big Hoss
So you don't need an 80+ to match OMFS anymore... just pass?

For dental boards, you just need to pass. That's pretty much a licensure requirement. I'm not aware of any OMFS programs requiring the ADAT, they all want the CBSE and that's a different animal. I'm not pursuing OMFS, so I'm not the best source for admissions advice there.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard this as well. CBSE and research along with internships.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It depends on the program. At VCU, you are not considered if you are not in the top 10 or 20. The best bet is a good CBSE score and being in the top 20. Easier said than done...

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet, but another perk of some of the more specialty-oriented schools is that they may have breaks or lulls planned into the schedule when potential applicants have downtime to study for boards (old) and CBSE/ADAT, verses GP-oriented schools that will not give you such a convenience and you have to pile on studying for the CBSE/ADAT on top of everything else.

Just to comment on the rank/unranked, yes you will stand out more as a ranked applicant if you are highly ranked (ie top 10) rather than one who is unranked. However, if you feel you would NOT be ranked highly, then going to a P/F school would be advantageous. Just personally, I would like a system like at Columbia where they rank in thirds. Takes some stress off of OHGODIHAVETOBEFIRST, yet you can still shine by being in the top third (or ten, whatever).

Last edited: