Passive-aggressive/blind-sided evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Event_Horizon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is probably a bit early in my third year experience to be asking a question like this. However, this particular situation irked me a bit, so I thought I would ask to see if others have had similar experiences.

I recently received my evals for my first rotation; the final grade is an average of all of the individual evals I received for the month. One particular eval from a physician I worked with for 2 whole days seemed pretty odd to me. I was given average scores in all eval areas except for a max score in work ethic/team-based effort and a MINIMUM score in medical knowledge (250s step 1/800s comlex - I realize this has nothing to do with clinical knowledge). Additionally, they put a rather passive-aggressive comment on the eval which was basically a nice way of saying "know your place".

To my knowledge, my rapport with this physician was very good and they always thanked me for my hard work and eagerness after the two shifts I spent with them. They pushed me mentally and I definitely did not know every pimp question that came my why, but I would say that I was fairly knowledgeable about 50% of them. Many of the questions were "read my mind", about things a 3rd year wouldn't know on their first rotation (ex: advanced protocol stuff), or flat out wrong (I definitely did not correct them or even hint at it). Any time I learned something from the physician I always remembered it and applied it the next time I saw the same situation, and they even commented on my aptness to remember their teachings. The physician even stated that they would be more than happy to fill out an eval for me at the end of the month. This physician worked with many students over the month, but there was always only 1 student per shift, so I don't really have a peer basis to go off of.

I am a very self-critical person and try to gain knowledge from every situation. But I was a little blind-sided by the way the eval from this physician played out. The rest of the evals from the month were nothing special and pretty average positive comments. I don't know whether I should just shut up and move on because I ended up receiving a HP average or if there is something I am missing from the situation that would help me grow to be a better student. I am 2 weeks into my next rotation and the physician I am working with is doing nothing but giving me positive feedback. I have been given no inclination that I do not seem humble, lack understanding of the medical hierarchy, come off too confident, or that I am "difficult to teach".

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't win em all. Try to pick up any lessons you can, maybe they are trying to tell you something. It's good to be able to take criticism and apply it because people constantly telling you that you're great won't help you develop as a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
Eh. That's third year. I had problems like getting an eval from someone I worked with for half a day and getting an eval that was clearly about someone else. Everyone is in the same boat. In many ways I think the eval system was one of the most frustrating parts of third year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, that sounds about right. Nothing to worry about.
They thank you for your work because they're being nice--I'm not saying you did a bad job. In reality, having med students around is really just more work and often a nuisance. The only thing they're getting out really is that they enjoy teaching and perhaps you bring a positive attitude to the work place. Plus, as you've said you're just starting out 3rd year, so you really should not be expecting to get above average for many of the criteria of the eval (especially the medical knowledge--good step 1 means little in terms of clinical knowledge). Lastly, many docs (esp. the older ones) think that "good" means good (when in reality good means you passed).

It is probably a bit early in my third year experience to be asking a question like this. However, this particular situation irked me a bit, so I thought I would ask to see if others have had similar experiences.

I recently received my evals for my first rotation; the final grade is an average of all of the individual evals I received for the month. One particular eval from a physician I worked with for 2 whole days seemed pretty odd to me. I was given average scores in all eval areas except for a max score in work ethic/team-based effort and a MINIMUM score in medical knowledge (250s step 1/800s comlex - I realize this has nothing to do with clinical knowledge). Additionally, they put a rather passive-aggressive comment on the eval which was basically a nice way of saying "know your place".

To my knowledge, my rapport with this physician was very good and they always thanked me for my hard work and eagerness after the two shifts I spent with them. They pushed me mentally and I definitely did not know every pimp question that came my why, but I would say that I was fairly knowledgeable about 50% of them. Many of the questions were "read my mind", about things a 3rd year wouldn't know on their first rotation (ex: advanced protocol stuff), or flat out wrong (I definitely did not correct them or even hint at it). Any time I learned something from the physician I always remembered it and applied it the next time I saw the same situation, and they even commented on my aptness to remember their teachings. The physician even stated that they would be more than happy to fill out an eval for me at the end of the month. This physician worked with many students over the month, but there was always only 1 student per shift, so I don't really have a peer basis to go off of.

I am a very self-critical person and try to gain knowledge from every situation. But I was a little blind-sided by the way the eval from this physician played out. The rest of the evals from the month were nothing special and pretty average positive comments. I don't know whether I should just shut up and move on because I ended up receiving a HP average or if there is something I am missing from the situation that would help me grow to be a better student. I am 2 weeks into my next rotation and the physician I am working with is doing nothing but giving me positive feedback. I have been given no inclination that I do not seem humble, lack understanding of the medical hierarchy, come off too confident, or that I am "difficult to teach".

Thanks for your time.

You have just begun the long arduous climb up the greasy pole. Medical training is basically one giant hazing ritual. Remember that your true purpose is gain knowledge and experience you will need to manage your patients by yourself. You WILL be an attending one day. Your purpose is NOT to impress others, it is NOT to be the good well behaved short coat wearing medical student.

Evals are kinda useless, and a single isolated comment is always ignored. However, if you start to here the same thing about you repeated, then there is a good chance it is true. It is important not to confuse a symbolic deficit (passive aggressive comments on eval that are clearly about first impressions) with an actual one.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for your time.
This is the sad but honest truth...some people just won't like you for whatever reason. I learned this first hand last year as an MS3 on several rotations. On OBGYN the chief resident hated me and would put me down any chance she got. During c-sections she would pimp me and if I got the answer wrong she made fun of me for not knowing the answer. Keep in mind OBGYN was also my first clinical rotation. Needless to say OBGYN was my least favorite rotation. Then on my geriatrics rotations (yes this is a required clinical rotation at our school), one of the attendings who eval'd me gave me low scores for no particular reason. No matter how late I stayed, how thorough my notes were, how much extra work I did for each patient, she always found something to critique. There are just people who you cannot please. Focus on doing well on your shelfs, as these are the only things you can really control. Smile, be nice to people, and if they still don't like you that's THEIR problem and not yours. Keep on truckin' it gets better.

Thanks for your time.
Also I was literally called "stupid" during my IM rotation because I didn't perform a comprehensive head to toe exam, instead of a physical physical exam. Don't let things like this get to you. Stuff like this is going to happen, just smile and move on.

This is exactly how I would describe an evaluation from one--only one--resident, which unfortunately is likely to ruin my career. I worked with her for a total of about 12 hours. We got along well, she had no complaints to tell me in person. I continued to chat with her throughout the clerkship in a cordial manner. Absolutely no indication that anything was wrong. And then when I get my final evaluation from her, she gives me two unprofessional notations causing me to fail the course. "Blindsided" was the exact way I'd describe it. Out of nowhere. I still really don't understand what I did to offend her, as we have never spoken about it and I am not allowed to contact her per the school rules regarding negative evals. I'm really at a loss.
What?!?! I cannot believe you got treated like this! There must be someone you can bring this issue up with-the dean of student affairs or clerkship director. Can you remember anything you did that may have caused her to write those comments about you??

What?!?! I cannot believe you got treated like this! There must be someone you can bring this issue up with-the dean of student affairs or clerkship director. Can you remember anything you did that may have caused her to write those comments about you??

If you want to comment, try going to the thread he created to get the longer version of the story.