Passed the Naplex on attempt 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kratos907

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know the pass rate for the Naplex is extermely high, yet the scoring system can be a bit unfair, especially if you lack knowledge in one section which can bomb your whole test. For those of you who are in that situation or mindset, get out of it...believe you me, It is not a easy thing to do but just gotta keep on trucking along.
My first Naplex attempt I was too cocky and went in and took the exam the week after graduation without any studying and failed it with a 62.

My second attempt, I used Rx Prep and I did great on the actual questions but bombed the calculation because I relied only on the Rx Prep calculations. (Studied about 2 months on and off) Failed with a 74....

Finally my third attempt: I used Rx Prep 2017 book, and "Tahnurs" notes that he generously posted on SDN (those truly helped summarize the main topics), but to help with my downfall from my past exam, I found out about the SDN 120 calculations and those helped greatly.
Passed with a (3 digit score.... not sure if I'm allowed to post actual number since i don't see others stating theirs)...... had score variance so took a while to get my results.... Studied about the same 2 months, day before the exam did math calculations again.

For those of you who may be wondering what type of questions and such were on my exam, I had a ton of major disease states such as HTN, DM, HLD. Also had a few questions on Oncology, HIV and common skin conditions. I did not have any point and click questions this time around, thought i did have 2 "rank these X from most to least potent" questions. Also had a ton of bio-statistic questions, so be sure you know how to use our bio-statistic calculations and how to interpret data.

If I can do this, you can do this.....Even if it didn't go well the first... the second... or the fourth time... you just gotta get back up and try again!!

Now to tackle the 4 lettered beast.... MPJE........

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! It is really a big success.
So did you get really alot of calculation and do you think Rxprep and SDN 120 q will be enough??

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! It is really a big success.
So did you get really alot of calculation and do you think Rxprep and SDN 120 q will be enough??

I believe i must have gotten around 30 - 40 calculations at the minimum. The Calculations in the RxPrep book helps you get a gist and idea of how to solve problems, where the problems in the 120 SDS 120q helps you put that logic to the test. I did get a lot of calculations in regarding to compounding so be prepared to to math problems in regards to that and pay attention to the sig and know your pharmacy abbrevaitions, such as QID and don't get it mixed up with QD.... I thought that was a No-No but heck, i still saw that being used.

Read the question carefully and not to scare you but if you think a question is too easy or too simple, read the question again and make sure you get the correct units. For example, they may ask you to calculate the Creatanine Clearance, and they may give you all the date required for Cockcault Gault, but for some unknown sadistic reason they want the units in L/min/1.73m^2 instead of ml/min/1.73m^2.

All in all, the 120 SDN q does help since it helps give you an idea of how to look at and solve problems. The Rxprep book did a good job at providing the formulas and doign examples and giving general information such as how much a Lb weighs etc, which comes to this:

KNOW YOUR CONVERSIONS POUNDS TO KG, OZ TO L, ML TO GALLON ETC, FEATHERS TO ELEPHANTS.... ok maybe not that last one but KNOW YOUR UNIT CONVERSIONS

Oh, and also I did get a few multiple choice answers for math on this third attempt, compared to all fill in the blank for 1st and attempt.

I got a lot of bio-stastiic questions so, where you had to calculate R, RR, ARR, NNT, etc... and a joke (freebie) was thrown in where it asked what "X" was, it was so simple you could answer it before even reading the full sentence.....(threw me off, i was like.... there has to be some trick behind this... haha, needless to say it still took me a minute to do just due to sheer paranoia haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was reading you comment word by word and being serious the I read FEATHERS TO ELEPHANTS. I was like holly molly how I convert this !! Hahah it was a good one.

Thank you so much for your respond, I really appreciate it. My exam is within 10 days I'm just FREAKIG OUT, i feel like i don't remember a word but by saying that the calculation is a good percentage in the exam i think this is a relief! Kinda !!

I think what I like about the new exam, is that at least for me, they asked a little about everything, but I did get more questions on the big disease states.
Compared to the old Naplex where you could do well in all sections, but if you were poor in one disease state that could cost you the test.

I've gotten many PM's about how the overall test was in accordance to the time limit so I decided to answer on here to hopefully help put some at ease.
As you know the new exam time is well, 6 hours.... it seems daunting and to some that may seem like too much time and to some, that may seem to little... ( I was in the first boat thinking it may be too much time).

I would suggest bringing a snack and a drink and be sure to take the 10 minute break ( even if you think you can keep on trucking on) because those 10 minutes to relax and not stare at a screen is pure bliss... ( trust me ).... Even if you are not going to utilize that time by going to the restroom or eating something, still get out that room and well... just stare out at window, get your mind temporarily off of the test so you can go back anew.

I still had approximately 30 minutes left at the end of my exam, and I feel like I didn't rush on any and I double checked my math on every single math question no matter how simple it is... Just be warned, the calculator provided may not be top notch, so a mistype may occur, so if a number doesnt make sense, (eg, a CrCl of 859) redo the calculation and recheck you are putting the answer in correct units that are asked for.

Side note, i know no gum was allowed, but foolish me though having a cough drop would be ok... (Nope, had to chuck that out before the exam, and throughout my exam had to hold in my coughs <Not fun> to prevent me from disturbing any other test takers)

Oh and if possible, ask for extra sharpies or pens to take your notes, mine kept running out so i had to keep switching between the two pens to write down my calculations, (If i had raised my hand to ask for another pen it would have saved me like probably 20 minutes off total test time but whenver i decided to do that, the pen would mysterioulsy start working again haha)

Don't worry, 6 hours is plenty of time to take the exam, and it seems like a lot, but time will fly and before you know it you'll be done!!

What about the compounding section?
Yes, I got a few on compounding, be sure to know excipients and their purpose. Also know what kind of room you need ot do certain tasks and also know BUD's of various substances... Thats basically what I focused in on, the excepients because that is what got me last time, only had a few nonsterile compounding, but did have some sterile compounding, make sure you know in general what the difference is between the two and proper procedures that you do in case of a sterile vs non sterile and BUDs of both ( fridge, freezer, room)...

And infectious disease chapter?
Yes, know which "Drugs" work against certain "Bugs" and know how to pick out which won't work against certain "Bugs" from a list if presented. Know the general structure of a cell and where certain drugs works to be able to answer which drug mostly benefits a patient....

MAKE SURE TO READ THE PATIENT NOTES CAREFULLY ( ALLERGIES, PAST MEDICATION HISTORY(WHICH MAY INCLUDE A DRUG CHOICE YOU CAN OFFER, so if that failed in past, why give again), AND READ THE BOTTOM OF PATIENT NOTES, SUCH AS WHAT WAS DONE ON LAST VISIT,(may include lab results which could help answer your question)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I know the pass rate for the Naplex is extermely high, yet the scoring system can be a bit unfair, especially if you lack knowledge in one section which can bomb your whole test. For those of you who are in that situation or mindset, get out of it...believe you me, It is not a easy thing to do but just gotta keep on trucking along.
My first Naplex attempt I was too cocky and went in and took the exam the week after graduation without any studying and failed it with a 62.

My second attempt, I used Rx Prep and I did great on the actual questions but bombed the calculation because I relied only on the Rx Prep calculations. (Studied about 2 months on and off) Failed with a 74....

Finally my third attempt: I used Rx Prep 2017 book, and "Tahnurs" notes that he generously posted on SDN (those truly helped summarize the main topics), but to help with my downfall from my past exam, I found out about the SDN 120 calculations and those helped greatly.
Passed with a (3 digit score.... not sure if I'm allowed to post actual number since i don't see others stating theirs)...... had score variance so took a while to get my results.... Studied about the same 2 months, day before the exam did math calculations again.

For those of you who may be wondering what type of questions and such were on my exam, I had a ton of major disease states such as HTN, DM, HLD. Also had a few questions on Oncology, HIV and common skin conditions. I did not have any point and click questions this time around, thought i did have 2 "rank these X from most to least potent" questions. Also had a ton of bio-statistic questions, so be sure you know how to use our bio-statistic calculations and how to interpret data.

If I can do this, you can do this.....Even if it didn't go well the first... the second... or the fourth time... you just gotta get back up and try again!!

Congratulations!!!!! How long did it take to get your results released after submitting your explanation/documentation? I just received an email today stating score variance and had to send in documentation! I already waited a week for my score and now I need to wait longer . I'm anxious to see the score i received, and praying it's passing!

Congrats on passing your exam. Did you use the rxprep test bank to help preparing for the test? if so, how similar were the questions from the Naplex compared to the test bank?

Congratulations!!!!! How long did it take to get your results released after submitting your explanation/documentation? I just received an email today stating score variance and had to send in documentation! I already waited a week for my score and now I need to wait longer . I'm anxious to see the score i received, and praying it's passing!

I believe it was a little over a week, if they asked for a score variance, that is very good news.... I highly doubt they would go through the trouble of researching all that on a failing score....

Congrats on passing your exam. Did you use the rxprep test bank to help preparing for the test? if so, how similar were the questions from the Naplex compared to the test bank?
I actually did not utilize the test bank for my third attempt, I should have though but I just focused on the books

I believe it was a little over a week, if they asked for a score variance, that is very good news.... I highly doubt they would go through the trouble of researching all that on a failing score....
Thank you so much for your reply! That's what's I'm thinking but with the NABP you never know.. haha!

I've gotten many PM's about how the overall test was in accordance to the time limit so I decided to answer on here to hopefully help put some at ease.
As you know the new exam time is well, 6 hours.... it seems daunting and to some that may seem like too much time and to some, that may seem to little... ( I was in the first boat thinking it may be too much time).

I would suggest bringing a snack and a drink and be sure to take the 10 minute break ( even if you think you can keep on trucking on) because those 10 minutes to relax and not stare at a screen is pure bliss... ( trust me ).... Even if you are not going to utilize that time by going to the restroom or eating something, still get out that room and well... just stare out at window, get your mind temporarily off of the test so you can go back anew.

I still had approximately 30 minutes left at the end of my exam, and I feel like I didn't rush on any and I double checked my math on every single math question no matter how simple it is... Just be warned, the calculator provided may not be top notch, so a mistype may occur, so if a number doesnt make sense, (eg, a CrCl of 859) redo the calculation and recheck you are putting the answer in correct units that are asked for.

Side note, i know no gum was allowed, but foolish me though having a cough drop would be ok... (Nope, had to chuck that out before the exam, and throughout my exam had to hold in my coughs <Not fun> to prevent me from disturbing any other test takers)

Oh and if possible, ask for extra sharpies or pens to take your notes, mine kept running out so i had to keep switching between the two pens to write down my calculations, (If i had raised my hand to ask for another pen it would have saved me like probably 20 minutes off total test time but whenver i decided to do that, the pen would mysterioulsy start working again haha)

Don't worry, 6 hours is plenty of time to take the exam, and it seems like a lot, but time will fly and before you know it you'll be done!!

Did the Pearson Vue center offer ear plugs by any chance?

Did the Pearson Vue center offer ear plugs by any chance?
Yep, they also provided a calculator (upon request) and a dry erase notebook thing to write your notes in (but they give you a sharpie so you can't erase, but you have plenty of pages to scribble in). As I had stated before, ask for extra markers just in case the ones at the desk are running low.

Reactions: 1 user

Have you taken the MJPE yet..How did it go? How did you study?