Passed NAPLEX!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmadiazepine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed NAPLEX! Here to help anyone who needs advice! Here's what I did:

Time spent on studying for NAPLEX: 3 weeks including working 30 hours a week

Sources:
1) RxPrep Course Book and RxPrep Quiz Bank
2) APhA for ONLY Infectious Diseases and HIV
3) SDN 120 Calculations Packet - THE ONLY source you ever need for calculations for NAPLEX

I read RxPrep book twice and finally spent last few days reviewing topics I felt I needed more preparation with like infectious diseases, HIV, transplant/immunosuppression, hepatitis, and a few days before the test I reviewed the big boys again like diabetes, asthma, COPD, HTN, hyperlipidemia.

I did the SDN 120 questions calculations packet once during my 1st week, once during my 2nd week, and once during my 3rd week. It is important to really understand how to do mEq, mmol, and mOsm because I had all of them on my NAPLEX multiple times. I totally forgot how to do them when I was doing the SDN 120 questions calculations packet, so I got my old calculations book from school and refreshed up on it. If anyone needs help with it, ask, because its really simple if you know the right formulas.

The APhA book to me is a complete waste of money. It is unnecessary, it's too much, it's too detailed.. I'm glad I stopped reading it after the first chapter when I realized WTF am I doing reading this ish. The only time I used it was to review for infectious diseases and HIV. It helped with both those topics, and if you are weak in either ID or HIV (as I'm sure many people are), then APhA is good to review those two topics.

I did the Pre-NAPLEX once during my second week and scored a 108. This gave me a lot of confidence and made me ease up on my studying a bit.

I did not study at all the day before my exam and the weekend before my exam. You need time to relax and feel confident that you know your stuff. If you don't know it by now, after 4 or 6 years of school, I don't know when you'll ever know.

Took the NAPLEX and had a few questions from left field, a few on topics I didn't feel too comfortable with, and a bunch of questions where I was able to answer it in seconds. Barely looked at patient profiles..

Score: 130!

Any questions, just ask! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Sources:
3) SDN 120 Calculations Packet - THE ONLY source you ever need for calculations for NAPLEX

I read RxPrep book twice and finally spent last few days reviewing topics I felt I needed more preparation with like infectious diseases, HIV, transplant/immunosuppression, hepatitis, and a few days before the test I reviewed the big boys again like diabetes, asthma, COPD, HTN, hyperlipidemia.

I did the SDN 120 questions calculations packet once during my 1st week, once during my 2nd week, and once during my 3rd week. It is important to really understand how to do mEq, mmol, and mOsm because I had all of them on my NAPLEX multiple times. I totally forgot how to do them when I was doing the SDN 120 questions calculations packet, so I got my old calculations book from school and refreshed up on it. If anyone needs help with it, ask, because its really simple if you know the right formulas.

The APhA book to me is a complete waste of money. It is unnecessary, it's too much, it's too detailed.. I'm glad I stopped reading it after the first chapter when I realized WTF am I doing reading this ish. The only time I used it was to review for infectious diseases and HIV. It helped with both those topics, and if you are weak in either ID or HIV (as I'm sure many people are), then APhA is good to review those two topics.

I did the Pre-NAPLEX once during my second week and scored a 108. This gave me a lot of confidence and made me ease up on my studying a bit.

I did not study at all the day before my exam and the weekend before my exam. You need time to relax and feel confident that you know your stuff. If you don't know it by now, after 4 or 6 years of school, I don't know when you'll ever know.

Took the NAPLEX and had a few questions from left field, a few on topics I didn't feel too comfortable with, and a bunch of questions where I was able to answer it in seconds. Barely looked at patient profiles..

Congratulations on passing the NAPLEX! Your prep work sounded very organized and intense. You totally blew that naplex out of the water with your awesome score.

Yes, I agree. APhA book is a waste of money. It is comparable to the DiPiro book we were required to get in pharm school. RXPrep is the best. Kaplan book is more brief but gives you the essentials to pass the Naplex.

I got rid of my APhA book as fast as I could :)

Sources:

Where is this SDN 120 calculations packet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also passed! So excited!!

Time spent studying: 3 weeks (was not working)- studied about 8-9 hours a day

Sources:
-RxPrep textbook and Quiz Bank
-"Pharmaceutical Calculations" textbook by Ansel and Stoklosa (very helpful review)
-120 practice calculations questions floating around on this site (awesome!) [Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=745265&highlight=120]

I had started reviewing from the APhA book, but by the time I got to the PK chapter (which I think is Chapter 6), I was ready to shove the book out the window...everytime I looked at that book, I cringed...it was awful. Luckily, I hadn't gotten too far and based on the positive review I heard about RxPrep on SDN, I decided to order RxPrep...even though it cost a fair chunk of change (~$175), it was well worth it...and it was shipped to me pretty quickly (it came in two days). As nerdy as this sounds, that book made me WANT to study. I had access to the Quiz Bank as well, which gave a good review of all the information from each chapter.

I read through RxPrep very thoroughly the first time around and finished in 2 and 1/2 weeks...I studied about 4-5 chapters a day (the chapters are much shorter than the APhA book, but they cover everything and have great charts and useful hints). I used a few days to briefly review the chapters once more. I also used those last few days to go through calculations.

I had every intention to do the pre-NAPLEX, but I had no time to take it. I'm not really sure if it's worth it. If you feel comfortable enough with the material, I don't see the need to spend $50 on a practice test...but that's just my opinion. However, some people feel it's a confidence booster. To each, his/her own.

As I finished and walked out of the NAPLEX, I thought it was a really easy exam. I felt that a lot of questions came straight out of RxPrep...it was pretty surreal how closely the material from the review book correlated with the exam. You really don't need any supplemental material to study.

Score: 127. :)

Good luck to those who haven't taken it yet! You'll be fine. :)

Pharmaceutical Calculations by Ansel is what I used to supplement the 120 calculations.. It's a great review for mEq, mmol, mOsm, and alligations (and whatever else you are unfamiliar with like flow rates and conversions, I don't think the NAPLEX asks any other major math) .. Highly recommended.

The 6th ed is only $7 online at Amazon. If you do rush shipping for the next day, its like a total of $14, not bad

And yea, not everyone needs to take the pre-NAPLEX. I knew I would pass NAPLEX right after graduating, but after not taking a test for months and months and worrying about the exam, it lets you gage how you will do on the exam if you are worried or anxious, and it gives you an idea about the format of the exam. If you have $50 to spend to practice, I recommend it. After all, after you get your job, you will make the $50 back in an hour

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on passing the NAPLEX! Your prep work sounded very organized and intense. You totally blew that naplex out of the water with your awesome score.

Yes, I agree. APhA book is a waste of money. It is comparable to the DiPiro book we were required to get in pharm school. RXPrep is the best. Kaplan book is more brief but gives you the essentials to pass the Naplex.

I got rid of my APhA book as fast as I could :)

Thanks!

I would recommend the same thing to everyone else who is planning to take the exam .. get rid of the APhA book .. I don't know why they make it so detailed and put chapters in it that we don't even need to know about

"I felt that a lot of questions came straight out of RxPrep...it was pretty surreal how closely the material from the review book correlated with the exam. You really don't need any supplemental material to study."

What a relief! I've been anxiously debating if I should use my last week before Naplex to review some Apha chapters or if I should focus on the RxPrep Quiz Bank. Thanks a lot for this info!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!

I would recommend the same thing to everyone else who is planning to take the exam .. get rid of the APhA book .. I don't know why they make it so detailed and put chapters in it that we don't even need to know about

I agree. The APhA is definitely overkill. I passed as well with a score of 122
Sources:
-120 practice calculations questions floating around on this site
-Prontopass math cards

Found out I passed the NAPLEX!!

Thank you so so so much everyone on here for sharing with me your experience, advice, tips, sample practice problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took in all of your advice and passed with a better score than I expected.

Pre-NAPLEX: 103
NAPLEX: 113

How I studied:

1. I used my friend's old Kaplan book that she bought summer 2010. I like this because it has the fewest number of pages compared to RXPrep and APhA ( I didn't care for the details, no thanks). Someone wise on here once said, "the NAPLEX is all about being the jack of all trades and master of none." Something like that and that is absolutely true.

2. I used RXPrep for reference when I felt that Kaplan material was not providing me enough info.

3. Since I got APhA book for free (not really cuz I paid for membership) I used that to study calculation and did the end of the chapter review questions. Then I quickly sold it bc I couldn't stand having it in my room. Hopefully, somebody else finds it useful, I didn't. Well, on second thought...APhA book was somewhat useful bc I used the end of the chapter review questions. I like that it has full explanations to the questions unlike RXPrep. Kaplan has end of chapter review questions but too few.

4. After going thru Kaplan review book once I went thru APhA and RXPrep to do end of the chapter questions.

5. After that I practiced questions from Lange Q&A. I highly recommend this awesome book. Which I am going to sell this weekend.
- I did not do all the problems in the Lange Q&A:
- I only did all questions in Pharmacology, half of Pharmaceutical Care, and half of the Patient Profiles.

6. For biostats: I studied what I felt was important RR, RRR, ARR, NNT, p-value, CI, etc. I have this really easy to learn pdf on biostats if anyone needs it. I basically googled out biostats, nothing in the 3 books really helped me. And I didn't feel like digging up my old biostat notes from pharm school.

7. For math: I practiced the 120 questions that you guys posted on here twice and felt comfortable tackling the math problems on the real NAPLEX

8. 2 days before the exam: I practiced the full-length practice test in Kaplan book

9. On the day before the exam, I review the top 200 in the morning, practiced the last half of my calculation problems, briefly went over biostats, and re-read some explanations in Lange Q&A.

In hindsight, I think I over prepared but I don't regret it one bit cuz it's better to be over prepared than having to take the exam again.

I'd say it took me 3 weeks to study. However, I didn't get serious until the last two weeks. There were a few days I didn't study at all due to nice weather, hehe. To me it's the quality of studying not quantity. And then there were days I'd put in 10 hours. I have friends who studied in 2 weeks and passed. I also know someone who did not complete the entire 185 question and still passed. Hope this eases some anxiety out there.

Anyway, yayy! I am stoked.

Thank you so much ro all of you who was willing to share with us! This is such a great community! Feel free to ask me any questions.

OMG, this is such an amazing feeling.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I definitely agree on the inefficiency of the Apha book. It's way too detailed and way too painful. I only found it useful for calculations and end of the chapter review questions.

If I could do it over I would use Rxprep for studying therapy, the 120 calc pdf for reviewing calculations, and a good flash card program for top 200. I bet I could cut down the time I spent studying for Naplex by 30% and still get the same score.

Here are two study materials I used for biostatistics portion.

Attachments

• 3A-Quantifying Treatment Effects STATS.ppt
    685.5 KB · Views: 3,023
  • RR, RRR, ARR, & NNT.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,774
I passed with a 123. Went to USCs exam review course (9 days x 8 hours). Took two weeks off to move from SoCal to NorCal. Did about 1/2 of RxPrep's online quizzes over 2 weeks. Peaked at APhA book. Did the practice CPJE from CA BOP plus some older CPJE samples.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sources:
-"Pharmaceutical Calculations" textbook by Ansel and Stoklosa (very helpful review)
-120 practice calculations questions floating around on this site (awesome!) [Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=745265&highlight=120]

I had started reviewing from the APhA book, but by the time I got to the PK chapter (which I think is Chapter 6), I was ready to shove the book out the window...everytime I looked at that book, I cringed...it was awful. Luckily, I hadn't gotten too far and based on the positive review I heard about RxPrep on SDN, I decided to order RxPrep...even though it cost a fair chunk of change (~$175), it was well worth it...and it was shipped to me pretty quickly (it came in two days). As nerdy as this sounds, that book made me WANT to study. I had access to the Quiz Bank as well, which gave a good review of all the information from each chapter.

I read through RxPrep very thoroughly the first time around and finished in 2 and 1/2 weeks...I studied about 4-5 chapters a day (the chapters are much shorter than the APhA book, but they cover everything and have great charts and useful hints). I used a few days to briefly review the chapters once more. I also used those last few days to go through calculations.

I had every intention to do the pre-NAPLEX, but I had no time to take it. I'm not really sure if it's worth it. If you feel comfortable enough with the material, I don't see the need to spend $50 on a practice test...but that's just my opinion. However, some people feel it's a confidence booster. To each, his/her own.

As I finished and walked out of the NAPLEX, I thought it was a really easy exam. I felt that a lot of questions came straight out of RxPrep...it was pretty surreal how closely the material from the review book correlated with the exam. You really don't need any supplemental material to study.

Hello-

What verison did you use for the Pharmaceutical Calculations by Ansel book.

Can you please tell me what verison as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Hello-

What verison did you use for the Pharmaceutical Calculations by Ansel book. There's 6th edition, 8th edition, and 13th edition.

Can you please tell me what verison as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I agree with everybody in this post. I took the NAPLEX and got 107. I studied from the RxPrep, 120 calculation questions, and school calculation review. Math is VERY important. This should be more than enough for the NAPLEX. If someone is nervous about this exam, don't be because the exam is graded where most people will pass. Make sure you time yourself because i was running out of time toward the end.

6th edition. It costs maybe $5 online. It just simplified mEq, mOsm, all that stuff which I forgot after graduating. I learned it like the back of my hand using Ansel's book. I now forgot it again, because I never used it again after NAPLEX. Good book.

I hate APHA...wish i got RxPrep =(..maybe alittle to late..NAPLEX on Oct 17th..i guess ill manage

Last edited:
Pre Nap: 100
Real Nap: 101

I'm in a residency and pushed Naplex back way further than I should have. We started in June is part of the reason. I spent a total of 5-6 solid days of studying for Naplex spread out over 1.5 months since I've been so busy with residency.

Like everyone says:
RxPrep is great if you can get your hands on it; I used the online question bank
120 math problem set will teach you everything you need to know for math
APhA book is great but WAYYY too detailed to bother spending too much time on.

Now...if only I could get this stupid MPJE crap to stick :scared:

Hi,
What version of Rxprep you bought? If I buy it online, does it have quiz bank access?
Thanks

Sources:

Do you think the RxPrep book is a good enough source for reviewing even without the Rx Quiz Bank?

I passed both exams
NAPLEX - APHA book and a free trial of epocrates essentials on my smart phone. I did the hard studying on the APha book and reviewed drugs and diseases on the app.

MPJE - Studied Abood and bought RxExam.

Passed both with pretty high scores.

Congrats! What state did u take MPJE for? Is there RXexams preparation for each state? Is it really a good source. I'm gonna take the Louisiana MPJE and I'm looking for a good source to study from. Thanks in advance.

Congrats! What state did u take MPJE for? Is there RXexams preparation for each state? Is it really a good source. I'm gonna take the Louisiana MPJE and I'm looking for a good source to study from. Thanks in advance.

Massachusetts...95% of Mass Pharmacy Law is similar to the Federal Law, so studying abood was appropriate. Some State laws differ significantly with fed laws (New York comes to mind) so getting a state specific text in that case would be advisable.

I found RxExam to be right on, and for $ 50 bucks it is definitely worth it. The most important thing I would stress, study the DEA pharmacist manual (online somewhere) from cover to cover. A very good portion of the MPJE was controlled substances and DEA forms etc

Last edited:

Sources:

where do you get the sdn calculations? I had the math exam from hell and missed it by 4 points. Felt strong about the rest because used your same method.

Thank you,

I am a 3rd year student in the US currently and am wanting to get a jumpstart on the NAPLEX, as well as, start reviewing to solidify some weak points in my learning thus far. I was wondering if you guys/gals could tell me if the RxPrep Course Book plus the SDN 120 calculations review would be the most effective way to spend my money in this regard?
Oh and.....

Congrats to everyone on passing!!!

good for you and thanks for all the tips!
How much did you study for over the counter drugs?:)

I spent 8 years in retail, then 18 in Nuclear, and have been out of pharmacy for 5 years.....just purchased the APhA Complete Review of Pharmacy, and thinking about taking the RX Prep course....basically, I am looking for tips on how best to prepare....I have been away from 'real' or 'regular' pharmacy for a long time....any thoughts or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Hello-

Had a few questions regarding the naplex for those who passed:

Did you focus on just memorizing the underlined n bolded stuff in the RX Prep book or?

Did you listen to the online lectures provided or just read the book?

Thanks!

Hello-

Had a few questions regarding the naplex for those who passed:

Did you focus on just memorizing the underlined n bolded stuff in the RX Prep book or?

Did you listen to the online lectures provided or just read the book?

Thanks!

You should memorized the underline and bold, but you should have a GOOD UNDERSTANDING of the material in Rxprep as a WHOLE.

Looking back, you don't need the online lecture to pass, but for me, I used the online lectures when I was bored out of my mind, and since I paid for it, I might as well use it. It's good only if you are like me, who reads until the eyes start to sting, then I use the video's mainly to listen to, as I goof off online during break. Otherwise, no its not worth it. It doesn't replace the book, but it does do a decent job explaining the underlined portions of Rxprep.

I do recommend the Rxprep quiz bank. I thought the naplex was written similarly to the Rxprep quiz bank...very simple to understand, but what makes it valuable is the quiz bank is more of a teaching tool. Its used to cover what you NEED to know, separated to correspond with the chapters, and has decent explanations. You study Rxprep, then take the online quiz portion, if you bomb it, you need to go back and study that portion. Try to get around 90 percent right, if you do...move on.

Where can I get RxPrep quiz bank? Is it something you get online or does it come as a book?
Are there any other quiz/question banks besides RxPRep?

Also, how did you guys study for the law part? Class notes?

Thanks and Congrats to you all! :)

Ok... first of all... I did feel like I failed completely!!! I am a mess with calculations even though I did prontopass 3 times, Apha exercises and Kaplan Practice Test. I learned the calculation but I kept receiving very hard questions in the Naplex and I freaked out!!! I was almost laughing every question... a drug molecule... really!!!!!!!!!!??? Statistics questions, really???? I read the Rxprep chapter os statistics but that specific NOT!!! I tried the best I could to answer all the questions.. and I pray everyday!! I got a 101! for me that's the highest score jaja! I just wanted a 75... anyways hope this helps:

1. Read Rxprep like 4 times... the chapters I think I needed to review more
2. Prontopass math... 3 times
3. Apha math practice
4. 120 questions of math, that are very hard! and is frustrating.

I read the forums after I took my Naplex and it was a relief when someone who thinks failed PASSED!!! do not lose FAITH! If I did it, YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO not doubt yourself!!!

GOOD LUCK, passing this test is the best feeling in the WORLD!:D

I took test 3 days ago and today I found out I Passed!!!

I too, thought I did horrible. I've been out of pharmacy for 12 years so I came out of testing center feeling quite beat up. I love the computer testing! When I sat for boards in OH and CA I was in big ballrooms with hundreds of people turning pages, sniffling, pencil scratching, monitors walking around looking over your shoulder, etc.

Anyhow, my test included quite a bit of Oncology, HTN, Diabetes related questions. Make sure to know which drugs have topical formulations. I was hoping for more infectious disease questions since that is my strong area.

Good luck to all
Final score:95

Does the RxPrep book include the online quiz bank OR one has to pay to access the RXPrep quiz bank separately? Been out of school for about 4 years and would like to take the NAPLEX in 3 months... Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

The book does not provide the online quiz bank, unless you pay for the online class. There is a promotion code to receive $118 off of the class. In my case, I have free access to the test bank because I received an offer from CVS and signed with them. I think all of the other chains give you access to the test bank if I am not mistaken.

Hi, how are you? I really need your help. I did not pass both the naplex and cpje for the second time. I am so scared to fail again. I have look online for the precourse, Passnaplexnow.com, but I am not sure if the course really help. Can you give me some advices? I did use rxprep course, but still did pass. I really do know what to do or how to study differently to pass the exam. I could not get 120 calculation from this website. if you could email it to me? [email protected]. Thank you very much and I really appreciated all the helps. Please help and I am desparated.

I took test 3 days ago and today I found out I Passed!!!

I too, thought I did horrible. I've been out of pharmacy for 12 years so I came out of testing center feeling quite beat up. I love the computer testing! When I sat for boards in OH and CA I was in big ballrooms with hundreds of people turning pages, sniffling, pencil scratching, monitors walking around looking over your shoulder, etc.

Anyhow, my test included quite a bit of Oncology, HTN, Diabetes related questions. Make sure to know which drugs have topical formulations. I was hoping for more infectious disease questions since that is my strong area.

Good luck to all
Final score:95
hi, I have out school for a year and I failed 2 times already. I am really down and hopeless since I tried to study apha and rxprex, none of them help. Can you give me advise how you study and what materials you use? If you have any practice tests that you can share with me, I would be very appreciated. I wonder if you know about passnaplexnow.com prepcourse? If they really help you to pass both naplex and cpje? Thank you for your help, you can email me at kvip35yahoo

The book does not provide the online quiz bank, unless you pay for the online class. There is a promotion code to receive $118 off of the class. In my case, I have free access to the test bank because I received an offer from CVS and signed with them. I think all of the other chains give you access to the test bank if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Hizzo23... I will start studying soon... Hopefully, I will get licensed this year...

I took Naplex last week and passed. I used only rxprep to prepare and I studied for about 6 wks.

130 !WOW It seems to me that you r a US graduate. I am a foreign graduate and have been out of the game for 15 years so I am starting all over again. I passed the mpje and preparing to take the NAPLEX ,but it lt feels very hard to even pass.
Congrats for your achievement.

Hey!! How did you find the exam being a foreign graduate? What country are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I am in the UK and would like to appear for naplex too