Passed my NBDE I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codeofsmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the test on 6/26 and received the result today --passed! What a great relief! Many thanks to ppl who provided valuable information in this forum. :)

I studied almost 3 months (minus the weekends and holidays :p) -- 4 hrs/day at the beginning and 7 hrs/day the week before the exam.
I used first aid, dental decks 12-13, ASDA reprints a-n and dental board mastery.
First aid is a wonderful book. I went through it thoroughly once and start the first round with ASDA reprints. By that time, I could get 80% of the questions answered correctly. Go into great detail and try to understand/remember everything from this book (including figures and tables). One would be able to answer more than 85% of the questions from the exam with first aid and strong background of DA/OC.
Dental decks are OK but do not expect any repeat in the real exam. The notes on the back are very helpful.
I had no more than 20 repeats from ASDA papers but they help me know my weak points and how the questions will be asked. When I read first aid for the second time, I was more clear how to study.
Dental board mastery has great mnemonics.

I studied till the night before the exam. Should NOT have done so as my brain was rather active when I went to bed and I was quite awake for another 3-4 hours. Just relax the day before the exam. It can only be helpful.

The real exam was not as difficult as I expected. I had around 25% questions in each part, 8 testlets, a couple of right/wrong questions. Some questions are quite detailed such as drug/disease mechanism. My bichem was the weakest but the questions were very basic and most with answers in first aid. DA/OC was not difficult to me. It is helpful if you write down the universal numbering of teeth during the tutorial. I was not sure about 50 questions after reviewing and submitted the exam within 6 hours. I did take a break between the 2 sessions and had a lunch.

Let me know if you have any questions about preparation or exam experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am giving my part 1 in a month! Any advice you guys can give me? I've already done a few readings of first aid and dental decks. Will start asda papers now! Anything advice would be helpful! Thanks :)

hi guys. I'm taking the nbde 1 within 2 weeks. Is there anyone there who can email me a soft copy of ASDA nbde 1 K-N? I would appreciate the help.
Can anyone talk me through the process of how it is on the exam day? How do we take breaks? If we take an unscheduled break , say to use the restroom, will that time be taken away from your 1 hour scheduled break, or the 3.5 hours?Any

hi guys. I'm taking the nbde 1 within 2 weeks. Is there anyone there who can email me a soft copy of ASDA nbde 1 K-N? I would appreciate the help.
Can anyone talk me through the process of how it is on the exam day? How do we take breaks? If we take an unscheduled break , say to use the restroom, will that time be taken away from your 1 hour scheduled break, or the 3.5 hours?Any

I'm taking my exam exactly around the same time as you! Good luck! :D
And yes please, if anybody has a soft copy of ASDA papers J-N or K-N email me them at: [email protected]

Thanks you so much in advanced for helping!

Andy

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am giving my part 1 in a month! Any advice you guys can give me? I've already done a few readings of first aid and dental decks. Will start asda papers now! Anything advice would be helpful! Thanks :)

Hi there.
How did your exam go? I'm taking mine in a few days, i just wanted to ask for some last minute tips...

hello
thanks a lot for your thread it`s really helpful
I am also planning to take the exam , i`m going to start studying after 2-3 weeks not sure how to study for it

I just finished downloading First Aid for NBDE part 1 , USMEL 1 & dental decks
I wounder if there any other helpful source that I could use
waiting for your reply
Thxxx in advance :)

Hi there, I would advised you to study D.A and anatomic sciences very well....is a most!!!!

Best of luck!!!
Lolo.

Heey guys im takin my exam in a week from now any last tips

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

Hi. I waited to get my exam results prior to logging back in the forum. I have been helped by people in the forum regarding tips and experiences, and I just want to pay it forward. I just opened my exam results a few minutes ago, and I got a PASS. I am thankful, since I was truly not expecting a favorable result. I still have part 1 reviewers ready just in case, but im glad I can keep them now.

first thing's first. If you decide to take the exam, you should commit time and effort since the exam is not easy.

On materials: I used First Aid, Dental Decks, and released asda papers.
-- I decided to limit the number of sources since it can be confusing to have too many sources and then master none. But its a case to case basis. Know what kind of review format you like. First Aid doesnt offer explanations, so you have to look up matters that need further explanations. I used youtube and google for supplemental Info.

-- I was deciding between kaplan and first aid and decided on the latter just because the format works better for me. Try to browse through the books before purchasing and see which one u like better.

Schedule: compute your goal date prior to applying to take exam, remember, you only have 6 mths leeway to take the exam after approval.

--I had to read materials 2 times since theres a lot to cover and its not easy to remember everything at once.

-- nearing the exam, I only did questionnaires. DO NOT RELYon just asda released exams, since the exam is nowhere as easy as the ones in the asda released exams. In my opinion, the actual exam was well thought of, and hard.

I finished my exam feeling defeated and discouraged, so, much as I am very happy that I passed, I am also very surprised. Out of a 200 questions, I was certain of only 66. I stopped counting after.

best of luck to all exam takers, and thank you to those who extended help to me.

Studied about 2 weeks. I took the exam 6/27 Found out I passed July 10th.

Dental Decks: Use as a review Base (went back to class notes especially for anatomy and dental anatomy) TESTLET BOOKLET IS A MUST TOO!

Dental Articles NBDE part 1: http://www.dentalarticles.com/nbde/ (Had ALOT OF REPEATS from here)

Old ASDA Tests (K/L/M/N ONLY)

THIS IS ALL YOU NEED

ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME OR PM ME GOOD LUCK!

Hi, I am a international student planning to take the test on October and I read Dental Decks 2 times and I can answer a considerable amount of them understanding the answer. I just started studying with Asda test. I read that you recommended to study from the K to N. Do you think that is no necessary to read older than those? my weakness is with Biochem and I felt happy :) when you said that was no that hard. Please give me and advise for this part of my studying for increase my chance to pass. THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody please send me the dental articles nbde part 1 if they can please. Taking exam in about 2 weeks and would like to review them if possible. Thanks in advance! [email protected]

I passed my nbde part 1.
I study more than 1 year.
I studied from first aid, dental decks, Kaplan lectures notes, and asda exam.
I took the exams 3 times. Thanks God I passed.
I am selling my stuff from nbde part 1
have you already sold asda reprints?

Hi. I waited to get my exam results prior to logging back in the forum. I have been helped by people in the forum regarding tips and experiences, and I just want to pay it forward. I just opened my exam results a few minutes ago, and I got a PASS. I am thankful, since I was truly not expecting a favorable result. I still have part 1 reviewers ready just in case, but im glad I can keep them now.

first thing's first. If you decide to take the exam, you should commit time and effort since the exam is not easy.

On materials: I used First Aid, Dental Decks, and released asda papers.
-- I decided to limit the number of sources since it can be confusing to have too many sources and then master none. But its a case to case basis. Know what kind of review format you like. First Aid doesnt offer explanations, so you have to look up matters that need further explanations. I used youtube and google for supplemental Info.

-- I was deciding between kaplan and first aid and decided on the latter just because the format works better for me. Try to browse through the books before purchasing and see which one u like better.

Schedule: compute your goal date prior to applying to take exam, remember, you only have 6 mths leeway to take the exam after approval.

--I had to read materials 2 times since theres a lot to cover and its not easy to remember everything at once.

-- nearing the exam, I only did questionnaires. DO NOT RELYon just asda released exams, since the exam is nowhere as easy as the ones in the asda released exams. In my opinion, the actual exam was well thought of, and hard.

I finished my exam feeling defeated and discouraged, so, much as I am very happy that I passed, I am also very surprised. Out of a 200 questions, I was certain of only 66. I stopped counting after.

best of luck to all exam takers, and thank you to those who extended help to me.

I wish the exam still had scores instead of just pass/fail. I passed, but the exam felt difficult.

The ASDA exams are definitely NOT sufficient. They were good for a few topics, but they didn't have the breadth or difficulty of the real exam. Dental decks and the Kaplan book were good resources, though the Kaplan book was a little slow to get through.

Took the test on 6/26 and received the result today --passed! What a great relief! Many thanks to ppl who provided valuable information in this forum. :)

I studied almost 3 months (minus the weekends and holidays :p) -- 4 hrs/day at the beginning and 7 hrs/day the week before the exam.
I used first aid, dental decks 12-13, ASDA reprints a-n and dental board mastery.
First aid is a wonderful book. I went through it thoroughly once and start the first round with ASDA reprints. By that time, I could get 80% of the questions answered correctly. Go into great detail and try to understand/remember everything from this book (including figures and tables). One would be able to answer more than 85% of the questions from the exam with first aid and strong background of DA/OC.
Dental decks are OK but do not expect any repeat in the real exam. The notes on the back are very helpful.
I had no more than 20 repeats from ASDA papers but they help me know my weak points and how the questions will be asked. When I read first aid for the second time, I was more clear how to study.

I studied till the night before the exam. Should NOT have done so as my brain was rather active when I went to bed and I was quite awake for another 3-4 hours. Just relax the day before the exam. It can only be helpful.

The real exam was not as difficult as I expected. I had around 25% questions in each part, 8 testlets, a couple of right/wrong questions. Some questions are quite detailed such as drug/disease mechanism. My bichem was the weakest but the questions were very basic and most with answers in first aid. DA/OC was not difficult to me. It is helpful if you write down the universal numbering of teeth during the tutorial. I was not sure about 50 questions after reviewing and submitted the exam within 6 hours. I did take a break between the 2 sessions and had a lunch.

I am starting to prepare for the NBDE part 1.
I have the decks, and the Kaplan book, but need the First Aid and the Asda reprints.Willing to but it from anyone.

Passed NBDE I. Selling my Dental decks, study notes/materials from my dental school/ and first aid books for NBDE part I. Message me if you're interested!

Passed NBDE I. Selling my Dental decks, study notes/materials from my dental school/ and first aid books for NBDE part I. Message me if you're interested!

Can u tell me weather should i give nbde 1 after 2 year or completing bds. Also tell me is kalpan question bank useful.

Thanks so much for your info! Where did you get the past exams?? Would it be possible to buy them from you? Thanks!

I passed my nbde part 1.
I study more than 1 year.
I studied from first aid, dental decks, Kaplan lectures notes, and asda exam.
I took the exams 3 times. Thanks God I passed.
I am selling my stuff from nbde part 1[/QUOTE
Hello,
Are you still selling your nbde part 1 study material
I am interested, thanks