Passed my NBDE I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codeofsmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the test on 6/26 and received the result today --passed! What a great relief! Many thanks to ppl who provided valuable information in this forum. :)

I studied almost 3 months (minus the weekends and holidays :p) -- 4 hrs/day at the beginning and 7 hrs/day the week before the exam.
I used first aid, dental decks 12-13, ASDA reprints a-n and dental board mastery.
First aid is a wonderful book. I went through it thoroughly once and start the first round with ASDA reprints. By that time, I could get 80% of the questions answered correctly. Go into great detail and try to understand/remember everything from this book (including figures and tables). One would be able to answer more than 85% of the questions from the exam with first aid and strong background of DA/OC.
Dental decks are OK but do not expect any repeat in the real exam. The notes on the back are very helpful.
I had no more than 20 repeats from ASDA papers but they help me know my weak points and how the questions will be asked. When I read first aid for the second time, I was more clear how to study.
Dental board mastery has great mnemonics.

I studied till the night before the exam. Should NOT have done so as my brain was rather active when I went to bed and I was quite awake for another 3-4 hours. Just relax the day before the exam. It can only be helpful.

The real exam was not as difficult as I expected. I had around 25% questions in each part, 8 testlets, a couple of right/wrong questions. Some questions are quite detailed such as drug/disease mechanism. My bichem was the weakest but the questions were very basic and most with answers in first aid. DA/OC was not difficult to me. It is helpful if you write down the universal numbering of teeth during the tutorial. I was not sure about 50 questions after reviewing and submitted the exam within 6 hours. I did take a break between the 2 sessions and had a lunch.

Let me know if you have any questions about preparation or exam experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I passed my nbde part 1.
I study more than 1 year.
I studied from first aid, dental decks, Kaplan lectures notes, and asda exam.
I took the exams 3 times. Thanks God I passed.
I am selling my stuff from nbde part 1

Reactions: 1 user
I passed my nbde part 1.

Hi,congrats for ur sucess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my share:

I studied almost 3 months (minus the weekends and holidays :p) -- 4 hrs/day at the beginning and 7 hrs/day the week before the exam.
I used first aid, dental decks 12-13, ASDA reprints a-n and dental board mastery.
First aid is a wonderful book. I went through it thoroughly once and start the first round with ASDA reprints. By that time, I could get 80% of the questions answered correctly. Go into great detail and try to understand/remember everything from this book (including figures and tables). One would be able to answer more than 85% of the questions from the exam with first aid and strong background of DA/OC.
Dental decks are OK but do not expect any repeat in the real exam. The notes on the back are very helpful.
I had no more than 20 repeats from ASDA papers but they help me know my weak points and how the questions will be asked. When I read first aid for the second time, I was more clear how to study.

I studied till the night before the exam. Should NOT have done so as my brain was rather active when I went to bed and I was quite awake for another 3-4 hours. Just relax the day before the exam. It can only be helpful.

The real exam was not as difficult as I expected. I had around 25% questions in each part, 8 testlets, a couple of right/wrong questions. Some questions are quite detailed such as drug/disease mechanism. My bichem was the weakest but the questions were very basic and most with answers in first aid. DA/OC was not difficult to me. It is helpful if you write down the universal numbering of teeth during the tutorial. I was not sure about 50 questions after reviewing and submitted the exam within 6 hours. I did take a break between the 2 sessions and had a lunch.

I passed my nbde part 1.
Congratulations!

Hi I took my test in June got my result couldn't clear any suggestion what should I do
Got 72
Anat 72
Bio/phys 72
Da72
Path/micro 70
Can I plz guide
I followed decks first aid
Asda q papers
Kaplan q bank
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Studied about 2 weeks. I took the exam 6/27 Found out I passed July 10th.

Dental Decks: Use as a review Base (went back to class notes especially for anatomy and dental anatomy) TESTLET BOOKLET IS A MUST TOO!

Dental Articles NBDE part 1: http://www.dentalarticles.com/nbde/ (Had ALOT OF REPEATS from here)

Old ASDA Tests (K/L/M/N ONLY)

THIS IS ALL YOU NEED

ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME OR PM ME GOOD LUCK!

Sorry to hear about your result.i know it feels sad.dont worry just forget that you failed and start again with a new energy.i have few questions about your preparation method. While you we're doing asda papers what was your score? To put it in other way while answering any question did you recollect why the other options are not correct?this helps to know which topics you have conquered and where you need to revise.try and solve as many questions as possible from all the sources available for nbde.hope this helps.all the best for studies.

Dental Decks: Use as a review Base (went back to class notes especially for anatomy and dental anatomy) TESTLET BOOKLET IS A MUST TOO!

Dental Articles NBDE part 1: http://www.dentalarticles.com/nbde/ (Had ALOT OF REPEATS from here)

THIS IS ALL YOU NEED

. Congrats on your success.

THIS IS ALL YOU NEED

By mentioning testlet booklet, do you mean the small booklet that comes with dental decks flash cards ?

Yes the booklet that comes wit the decks. That's the exact format of the case studies on the exam and they are about the same difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the guidance and encouragement
I am planning to give again in sept
What r board busters didn't knew about them is it really helpful of following the above. Mentioned material should be fine ?

congrets on ur success.

Can u please help to study biochem.?

where to start and what to read?

Thanx

Hi all,
I have a query. I am confused regarding the validity of the 2012-13 dental desks. I have 2009-10. Do u think its the same with minor difference or is it worth buying the new ones. Have mixed reviews from different forums.
Thanks.

Here is my share:

Hi,
I have a query. I am confused regarding the validity of the 2012-13 dental desks. I have 2009-10. Do u think its the same with minor difference or is it worth buying the new ones. Have mixed reviews from different forums. :confused:
Thanks.

hi I am taking the test in sep. 2013 I am so worried I studied decks about 2 times and all ASDA papers a lot of remembered questions, but I feel lost, how was the test, is it in the same manner of ASDA. I studied a lot of questions even the ones on dental article. Please advice, so overwhelmed??

Hi ALLDAYYY,

I tried several times with this link but unable to download any....does it exist? Pls help-out. I am desperately gathering part 1 materials....

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hai,

Do u have suggestion for me to gather the part 1 materials....? desperate need of them to start my prep.......

Thnks for ur time!

Congrets.

How to start biochem? I am very weak in it so please advice how and where to start it.

Reply is greatly appreciated.....

Hello all,
I took the NBDE part 1 in late june of this year and cleared it! The materials I used are:
Dental decks 2009-2010
Kaplan lecture notes
First aid Q&A
Mosby sample Q&A
ASDA Released booklets I-G to I-N
Im willing to sell all these to anyone who is interested.We can decide on the price depending on the material of interest,either combined or individual.If interested,please email me on [email protected]. Good luck!

hey thats amazing! i gave my exam today and i think it was one of the toughest exams ive ever given. it was a lot of anatomy. like a LOT. and mostly full body anatomy like thumbs and legs and God! it was tough. i am a bit worried but really dont know what i can do now

hello frens
i ve passed my nbde part1 in september and would like to wish everyone good luck to their journey to nbde part1. ofcourse exam is not easy but its passable.Just work hard and am sure you will make it.

i am selling my books i used as my preparation sources

dental deck 2012-2013(like new ,original,still in box,includes everything)
First aid(like new ,original)
Kaplan Dent Essentials(like new,original)

Last edited:
is there anyone from dallas who is willin to sell dental decks part 1 2012-2013/2013-2014.plz contact me asap

I passed NBDE1 in third attempt.
Last time I was studying for 4 months (8-10-12 hours per day).

For preparation used:
Dental decks part 1 2009-2010,
Kaplan review,
Mosby,
clinical pathophysiology,
First Aid USMLE step 1,
Dental Essentials

These books are for sale now.

Also, I was watching a lot of video on You Tube (biochemistry)

Hi everyone,

this forum is very helpful, i'm glad i stumbled across it.

I am thinking of taking the NBDE, but i'm not fully decided, as i'm still gathering enough info before diving into it.

To all those who took the NBDE1 or preparing for NBDE 1, if you would only choose 4 references for your reviewers, what would they be?

Also, for those who have read First Aid and Kaplan DentEssentials, which between the two books would you recommend and why?

I appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

this forum is very helpful, i'm glad i stumbled across it.

I am thinking of taking the NBDE, but i'm not fully decided, as i'm still gathering enough info before diving into it.

To all those who took the NBDE1 or preparing for NBDE 1, if you would only choose 4 references for your reviewers, what would they be?

Also, for those who have read First Aid and Kaplan DentEssentials, which between the two books would you recommend and why?

I appreciate your input!

Hi,

Personally, I used Dental Essentials for biochemistry review only.

For references: Dental Decks, Kaplan review, past exams ,First Aid

Thanks for your reply. So can you say that in terms of use, first aid is better than kaplan dentessentials? I was looking at the table of contents of both books, and they were similar. They have mixed reviews when I was looking through comments in forums. Some say that first aid is easier to read compared to kaplan, but some say otherwise. The price difference is about $15, and I didnt want to buy both if they are similar. What do you think?

Hey everyone! I was waiting for this day to come so that I could finally say the golden words- I PASSED MY NBDE PART 1!

totally overjoyed and ecstatic because my exam had been extremely tough! I gave my exam on the 25th of Sept and received my score on the 9th of october.

my study method-
studied for 6 months in total. 5-6 hours per day but around 14-15 hours( yes i barely slept) for the last 12 days. Slept properly on the last 2 days though (its very improtant that you are well rested before the exam). Went through kaplan lecture notes thoroughly once (it took me nearly 3 months to read this completely because it is extremely detailed but it helped me tremendously because a LOT of my paper was on anatomy and nervous system) . Did decks 4 times over the next 2 months. Last one month did all the asda papers A-N twice. this last bit is highly recommended. I had atleast 10% repeats on my paper. KLMN papers are the ones u should start with once coz they are tough and that is the pattern in which questions appear on the exam. A-J is time pass- if u solve it after K-N because its pretty easy compared to those. :)

Best of Luck everyone!

Hey everyone! I was waiting for this day to come so that I could finally say the golden words- I PASSED MY NBDE PART 1!

totally overjoyed and ecstatic because my exam had been extremely tough! I gave my exam on the 25th of Sept and received my score on the 9th of october.

my study method-
studied for 6 months in total. 5-6 hours per day but around 14-15 hours( yes i barely slept) for the last 12 days. Slept properly on the last 2 days though (its very improtant that you are well rested before the exam). Went through kaplan lecture notes thoroughly once (it took me nearly 3 months to read this completely because it is extremely detailed but it helped me tremendously because a LOT of my paper was on anatomy and nervous system) . Did decks 4 times over the next 2 months. Last one month did all the asda papers A-N twice. this last bit is highly recommended. I had atleast 10% repeats on my paper. KLMN papers are the ones u should start with once coz they are tough and that is the pattern in which questions appear on the exam. A-J is time pass- if u solve it after K-N because its pretty easy compared to those. :)

Best of Luck everyone!

my study method-

Best of Luck everyone!

Congratulations! Thanks also for sharing your study routine.

hello shampu 88...congrats for passing part 1.do u have soft copy of micro/patho decks.....coz m needing it urgently and its missing from mine folder.if u have plz send me in [email protected]

hi! everyone.i gave my exam on 5th nov and got the result last week.i am so relived but still couldnt believe I PASSED! when i gave my exam i was sure i will not see this in my result.....i was sure i will get to see a FAIL.... but thank god and all the prayers which made my result possible.exam was tuff for me.it could be different for others...but i was only sure about 45-50% questions in the exam....DA was different and i think they raised the bar for DA.i read decks thrice,had read kaplan book for nbde1 twice.....did asda 2 times.....but what matters is i passed and i dont have to sit back and read all this again....

Can somebody help me with the materials they are studying from? I am going to be giving my part 1 in december and i feel as if i have not studied enough.
So far i am studying from decks, crack the nbde, and the kaplan book.
Please email at [email protected] if you have any extra material that i can study from.
Thank you