Pass Machine for QE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WesDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used or know anyone that has used pass machine for QE prep? How good is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used it for both Written and Oral exams. One friend bought one and I the other. and we shared resources. Program reimbursed as well. Osler for Oral boards. Passed both on first attempt. I recommend it despite the literature that states it doesn't help...

I used it for both Written and Oral exams. One friend bought one and I the other. and we shared resources. Program reimbursed as well. Osler for Oral boards. Passed both on first attempt. I recommend it despite the literature that states it doesn't help...
Thanks!

Only used Pass Machine for orals. Having video/audio scenarios available to review repeatedly, either while driving or working out, etc was very helping for me, especially since I didn't have someone to practice with. Some of the scenarios and formats for reviewing cases could be done better or be a little more thorough ( e.g like questions asked but no answer given, or no feedback on whether some of the answers given were correct or not) but it overall worked out well for me.

Only used Pass Machine for orals. Having video/audio scenarios available to review repeatedly, either while driving or working out, etc was very helping for me, especially since I didn't have someone to practice with. Some of the scenarios and formats for reviewing cases could be done better or be a little more thorough ( e.g like questions asked but no answer given, or no feedback on whether some of the answers given were correct or not) but it overall worked out well for me.

is there a separate pass machine for the CE? i used pass machine for the written exam, but it seems like the content was only geared towards the written test. planning on taking osler....

Reactions: 1 user
is there a separate pass machine for the CE? i used pass machine for the written exam, but it seems like the content was only geared towards the written test. planning on taking osler....
There is one for the CE. I didn't use a course though. I just did some mock orals with some attendings (the most useful one was being the one where I was asked **** I had practically no knowledge on which helped me learn how to react better and taught me some phrasing to use when I didn't know that I actually used during the real deal) and reviewed some stuff I found online.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone used or know anyone that has used pass machine for QE prep? How good is it?

i used it and SESAP for studying. I thought it was helpful. My program paid for it too :)

There's a seperate Pass Machine for CE. They have an online version which are video recorded sessions of mock orals. You pay for access to stream these videos online.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% pass rate for our most recent graduated class. They all used Pass Machine, SESAP and Cameron's. It's nice that my program pays for it so I can't complain. About halfway through the lectures now and writing my notes into the syllabus using Adobe Reader.

~$2,000 for both online courses wow. Hmm. Looks good though. So pricey!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's a seperate Pass Machine for CE. They have an online version which are video recorded sessions of mock orals. You pay for access to stream these videos online.

so its basically like a video recorded Osler??

Man this is an expensive process.

I'm not planning on buying pass machine at 2k. Hope that doesn't bite me.

But total cost so far -

$2700 in registration fees straight to the ABS
$1000 combined for SESAP, Truelearn, and other board review books
$700 for Osler
$1000 or so for travel
But that sweet surgeon money is in your future

Reactions: 1 user

i used it and SESAP for studying. I thought it was helpful. My program paid for it too :)

100% pass rate for our most recent graduated class. They all used Pass Machine, SESAP and Cameron's. It's nice that my program pays for it so I can't complain. About halfway through the lectures now and writing my notes into the syllabus using Adobe Reader.

How did you guys go around your program paying/reimbursing for this? one subscription for all, shared among chiefs?

How did you guys go around your program paying/reimbursing for this? one subscription for all, shared among chiefs?

my program coordinator emailed me my user name and password. I suppose it could be shared but if the institution is paying they might just get each person their own.

Sharing SESAP has been pretty common. my program didn't pay for that

so its basically like a video recorded Osler??

Yea, basically. Their selling point is that you save on travel and hotel and can review the scenarios whenever, wherever I guess. I just liked being able to go over scenarios multiple times, hitting pause and researching certain scenarios, answers etc etc

The Pass Online Course alone is ~900$ I think.

Comparing Osler and Pass, cant say which is better. Some sessions in Osler are good, some arent. Same with Pass scenarios. I took CE after several months of being away from medicine/surgery so being able to take my time watching the videos and reviewing them repeatedly sort of helped me get back in the groove. Either way find a way to practice even if its talking to yourself out loud.

Yea, basically. Their selling point is that you save on travel and hotel and can review the scenarios whenever, wherever I guess. I just liked being able to go over scenarios multiple times, hitting pause and researching certain scenarios, answers etc etc

The Pass Online Course alone is ~900$ I think.

Comparing Osler and Pass, cant say which is better. Some sessions in Osler are good, some arent. Same with Pass scenarios. I took CE after several months of being away from medicine/surgery so being able to take my time watching the videos and reviewing them repeatedly sort of helped me get back in the groove. Either way find a way to practice even if its talking to yourself out loud.

I used pass machine for written. I'm going with Osler for the orals. Part of it is so I can get away from work and other distractions. Hopefully i'll be isolated and take care of business

I used the online Pass Machine courses (bought it at ACS for 50% off) and used it in conjunction with sesap and passed by a comfortable margin. There are lots of good study tools out there. The key is to choose a text/course and then a question bank and stick with it. There are an overwhelming amount of options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile