PA's making $200K + per year?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just don't think that the starting salaries for a PA should be equivalent to the starting salary of an Internal Medicine grad. The latter has 7 years of education/training while the former has only 2 years. But again, I guess that is why PA school is so popular. Just my opinion. The PAs that I've run across in my community don't know very much beyond just referring everything out. So maybe that taints my view of your profession.

Eventually, your PA schools will become greedy and oversaturate the market with newbie PAs that drive down salaries. That is the only drawback of a field where the barrier to entry is very low.
Starting salaries for PA is $75-$110 ish. Much of that depends on prior experience. And, as others have posted, that's what a resident can earn, and is about half of what an IM/FP attending should make starting out.

The PAs in your community may not be "allowed" to do much more than that.

Good point with PA school #s and oversaturation. That already happens in some places.

Members don't see this ad.

to make 200k/yr I would have to work almost 3000 hrs/yr.
typical em pas make 90-110k. Senior folks like Boats and myself make 125-150k or so without too much overtime. most I have ever made, working really hard was 170k one year I did LOTS of O.T.
My goal is to gross $200K this year, and then maybe next year, to meet some short term financial goals. But I'm working insane hours that are not sustainable long term. Fortunately I am able to work crazy hours but still have quality time off (what day is this?!?)

My goal is to gross $200K this year, and then maybe next year, to meet some short term financial goals. But I'm working insane hours that are not sustainable long term. Fortunately I am able to work crazy hours but still have quality time off (what day is this?!?)
I'm working 11 of 13 days in 2 adjacent states with drives up to 3 hrs, all solo coverage....in addition to my regular full time job....on the bright side, just got paid for 30 hrs to hang out in the OR with anesthesiology and practice DL, glidescope, and LMA intubations...

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the salary of high specialty PAs working at 40hr/hour instead of 80hr?

I assume you meant 40 hr/week?

Probably $100-120K depending on specialty and experience. That would be $50-$60/hour (plus benefits)

It's subjective whether $25k/year is frugal or not. I'm living on 2.5k/month after taxes right now by working 20 hours a week for my gap year and I'm loving it. Lots of free time and I still have extra $$ left over. I see where you're coming from with doc investing in their future through medical school but you're not factoring the debt difference which isn't a big deal I guess. However, during those 5 years of residency, if a PA work 80hrs/week the PA would be making well over 200k, probably up to 250k while the resident is making 70k which seems high to me. I heard residency is more 50-60k.

I think PA school is a valid plan B for those who gave up on med school and wanted to regret later. You spoke of this yourself. Low income ceiling and lack of respect. Look, the point is if you can't score a MCAT of 24 to get into a low tier DO school then we got greater concerns. If the excuse/reasoning was "poor standardize test taking" then how the hell you gonna pass the PANCE? You gonna suddenly improve your standardize test taking abilities in two years? If you can improve your test taking skills over the 2 years WHILE in PA school in order to pass the PANCE then you can definitely improve your test taking skills in 1 year while NOT in PA school to score that sweet 24 on the MCAT. There's just no reason for PA to be a plan B. This is how you breed generations of unhappy and disgruntled mid level providers. They're gonna low back in 20 years and be like wow I should have just worked EVEN harder on studying for the MCAT to retake it. I havn't taken the MCAT so the following statement probably has no value to it, but come one... a 24..... a freaking 24 lol....

I mean I guess if you're older, like 40, you probably should go to PA school but in that case it wouldn't really be plan B in my opinion. Age is just something you can't control.

EM Residency does seem to be the most efficient investment to me. 250k salary after a 3 year residency that is not that competitive to get into. That sounds great, but you gotta be able to do ER work though. That would have been my alternative to IR rad if I went to med school. If i failed to score a high enough Step 1 score for IR rad, i would want to do EM.
Most residents aren't working 80 hours a week. Hell, some psych residents here work 40/week after intern year and moonlight for 125/hr to bring their income up. Or there's EM residents- sure, they're only making 55k-65k for the years, but they're also only working 60 hours. After that, 250k is very much on the low end of what an EM physician will earn- I've known many outside academics to earn 350-400k W2 for a 36 hour work week.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the salary of high specialty PAs working at 40hr/hour instead of 80hr?
Most of the surgeons in these specialties prefer PAs that work substantially more than that. Our CT and ortho PAs worked 55-60 hours per week, took call, etc for 150kish/year. Can't imagine you'd be much over 100k with a princess schedule unless you were in a derm office.

Most of the surgeons in these specialties prefer PAs that work substantially more than that. Our CT and ortho PAs worked 55-60 hours per week, took call, etc for 150kish/year. Can't imagine you'd be much over 100k with a princess schedule unless you were in a derm office.

100k at 40 hours a week as an ER PA can be done. However the 40 hours a week is not a "princess " schedule since there are nights, weekends, and holidays mixed in.

40 a week in the ER will get you over 100k easy.

Yes, most places. I thought she was asking about new grads in high paying specialties, my mistake.

High paying specialties, 40 hrs a week, not difficult to get 120-150K. More difficult to find a high paying specialty that will allow only 40 hrs a week.

100k at 40 hours a week as an ER PA can be done. However the 40 hours a week is not a "princess " schedule since there are nights, weekends, and holidays mixed in.

Yeah, 100K as an EM PA can easily be done. Some new EM grads, especially in saturated markets, are paid at $50 +/- an hour, but these positions experience frequent turnover as the new PAs quickly find other jobs with better pay and scope.

EM is a completely different animal. The Birdstrike multiplier exists for a reason.

EM PAs only have a fraction of the Birdstrike multiplier. As Bird schooled me on (and I later confirmed with my own experience), most EDs that have EPs require 24/7 EP coverage, and frequently hire PAs for day and evening shifts, leaving the EPs with a disproportional number of night shifts, and therefore greater number of DOMAs, etc.

Yes, most places. I thought she was asking about new grads in high paying specialties, my mistake.

High paying specialties, 40 hrs a week, not difficult to get 120-150K. More difficult to find a high paying specialty that will allow only 40 hrs a week.

Yeah, 100K as an EM PA can easily be done. Some new EM grads, especially in saturated markets, are paid at $50 +/- an hour, but these positions experience frequent turnover as the new PAs quickly find other jobs with better pay and scope.

EM PAs only have a fraction of the Birdstrike multiplier. As Bird schooled me on (and I later confirmed with my own experience), most EDs that have EPs require 24/7 EP coverage, and frequently hire PAs for day and evening shifts, leaving the EPs with a disproportional number of night shifts, and therefore greater number of DOMAs, etc.

What the heck is birdstrike? At the 4 hospitals with 3 different grouped in two completely separate regions of the country, the PAs where my wife worked had 24/7 doc and PA. Her current place is small and it is 1 doc and 2 PA during the day, and 1 doc and 1 PA at night.

What the heck is birdstrike? At the 4 hospitals with 3 different grouped in two completely separate regions of the country, the PAs where my wife worked had 24/7 doc and PA. Her current place is small and it is 1 doc and 2 PA during the day, and 1 doc and 1 PA at night.

That's DOCTOR Birdstrike! lol

Birdstrike is a prolific poster on the SDN EM boards. The Birdstrike multiplier is his description that a shift in the ED is equal in physical/emotional costs to 1.5 shifts anywhere else. A DOMA is a Day Off My Ass, which usually follows a night shift. All the scheduler (and med students, family, etc) sees is that the EP gets a lot of "days off", but they really aren't days off because you're a zombie.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not a DOMA if you sleep most of the night. at several of my rural part time gigs I rarely see a pt after 11 pm. the ideal is high acuity/low volume 12 or 24 hr shifts. I'm working towards doing that all the time. much less burnout when you actually feel you are making a difference when you go to work. I'm working a night shift tonight at one of my rural gigs and going hiking tomorrow morning with friends. of course I may be up all night, but odds are that I won't be.

How much PTO do PAs in hospitals get? Is it the same as doctors?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How much PTO do PAs in hospitals get? Is it the same as doctors?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Huge variability. I would imagine some hospitals give same benefits as physicians. I don't get any PTO because I'm almost exclusively a 1099 contractor, but I get to set my own schedule that way.

Man you guys just make EM sound depressing as hell regardless of the profession... >.> I was thinking of EM too if I couldn't get into a residency program after PA school. EP sounds like a great gig for 3 year residency!

Okay here's another question. What specialty out there will pay their PAs 150k+ for 40hr/week? I don't think I would want to do a high paying specialty if that requires me to work 60hr/week. That kind of defeats the point of "high paying" if you have to work more. If there isn't any then I would probably go into EM as that is something I think I enjoy from my experiences in the ED.

Also, @Mad Jack you say EP make around 350-400k but a simple google search states 250k average. I understand they can make up to 400k but that doesn't make it the norm. Do you disagree with the average of 250k? If so why does google present that number?

Also, @Mad Jack you say EP make around 350-400k but a simple google search states 250k average. I understand they can make up to 400k but that doesn't make it the norm. Do you disagree with the average of 250k? If so why does google present that number?
http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2015/emergencymedicine#page=5

Men earn more than women. Self-employed physicians earn more than employed physicians. Non-academics earn more than academics. Most of the people I know are men that are partners in non-academic practices, and I don't know a single one that makes less than 350k in that environment.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 5.46.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 5.46.58 PM.png

EM has made huge gains in the last few years, with salaries jumping from the low-200s across the board to the low-300s on average.

Last edited:
I assume you meant 40 hr/week?

Probably $100-120K depending on specialty and experience. That would be $50-$60/hour (plus benefits)

I'm an EM resident now 2years to go. Saw your post from earlier sorry about the delay

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2015/emergencymedicine#page=5

Men earn more than women. Self-employed physicians earn more than employed physicians. Non-academics earn more than academics. Most of the people I know are men that are partners in non-academic practices, and I don't know a single one that makes less than 350k in that environment.
View attachment 202325
View attachment 202325
EM has made huge gains in the last few years, with salaries jumping from the low-200s across the board to the low-300s on average.

Good post. Another important issue is the type of work environment. SDGs can earn more than those that work for CMG/Hospital based practices many times.

Can you define self employed vs employed? Are the EP that work at one of the big hospitals in my city consider employed? Very interesting. Would you say it's more likely to earn 350k or 250k as an EP since the average is 250k per google. With this new information, I would say the EM route for physicians is the best. A non competitive short residency for 350k salary thats insane!

Can you define self employed vs employed? Are the EP that work at one of the big hospitals in my city consider employed? Very interesting. Would you say it's more likely to earn 350k or 250k as an EP since the average is 250k per google. With this new information, I would say the EM route for physicians is the best. A non competitive short residency for 350k salary thats insane!

I have no ideal where you are or the hospital you are located so I couldn't answer that question. Also I would look at the medscape data above that is pretty accurate.

Also EM is pretty competitive these days with very few to basically zero spots left post match. If you are doing EM for pay only you will be miserable

Reactions: 1 users
What is a self employed EP? I thought EPs only work in EDs of hospitals hence they would be employed by the hospitals? The hospital in my city contracts a group/club of EPs for their EDs. Is that considered self employed? I guess I should have rephrased that to semi competitive. EM isn't as competitive as subsurgery specialties or like IR Rad right? I base competitiveness on step 1 scores only so I might be ignorant of other variables.

I don't think I'll be doing EM for the pay only. I volunteered in the ED and it seemed alright, but honestly idk what field I want to go into. I'm keeping an open mind and hopefully I'll find out during rotations.

Self-employed = paid as a 1099 with a contract instead of as a W-2 employee. That's how I am (mostly) paid. The EM group who staffs your local hospital may employ the EPs as W-2 employees, or they may subcontract the services to the EPs and pay them as 1099 contractors.

How do you become self employed vs employed? Is it difficult? Why don't all EPs become self employed if they make more money?

There are legal/tax ramifications for operating as a contractor vs employee. You may or may not make more money. I do mostly contract work because I don't need the benefits commonly associated with W-2 work (health insurance, retirement, PTO, etc). Furthermore, I work at several different hospitals, and carry my own malpractice. As a contractor I get to write off many business expenses, but I pay the full 15% of SS taxes whereas W-2 employees pay 7.5% (and the employee pays the other 7.5%).

Best financial advice for docs/PAs can be found at whitecoatinvestor.com

The overall average as of the last salary poll was 306k. EM is no longer noncompetitive, however. It's more competitive than anesthesia these days, and getting more and more competitive each match.

How do you become self employed vs employed? Is it difficult? Why don't all EPs become self employed if they make more money?
It's easy enough to go 1099, but you have to have a good accountant and record-keeping skills to make it worthwhile. Some people have effective tax rates in the 20-30% range on incomes of 300k care of careful accounting and deductions. But if you're not good at the bookkeeping, you can end up paying more in taxes, so it's one of those things to not do if you're lazy or don't care to learn the tax code.

hmm very interesting. thank you for the insight. I'll definitely look into this.

If this imaginary person we're talking about can't even score a high enough MCAT to gain a DO acceptance then i highly doubt they're getting into PA school. What's the average DO MCAT score? AT Still in AZ average MCAT score was 26. That means they're accepting people with scores of 24 probably. With this said, i don't think there are any justifications for PA as a "backup plan" for medical school because if you can get into a PA program you probably can score a 24 on the MCAT (i would hope so at least). Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-do-average-mcat-and-cgpa-spreadsheet.1069036/

I'm that 22 yo who decided to pursue PA instead of medical school. It's not just 4 years of medical school though. Let's say I went to med school. I would want a high paying specialty to compensate for the sacrifices i've made. I would have pursued IR rad probably. That's a 5 year residency and very competitive nonetheless. That means I have to score probably a 245+ on Step 1 and participate in numerous publications during med school. I would have to work EVEN harder than the normal med student for FOUR years. Finally, I graduate and matched with a nice 5 year IR rad residency and now I get to work 70-80hr/week for the next 5 years. Man now that I think about it, I'm gonna decline my PA acceptance and go to medical school in hopes of being IR rad. /s

As for the BIGGEST con of being a PA: hard ceiling income and respect apparently. First of all, hard ceiling income. If you graduated from PA school at age 24 and obtain a first job at 100k/year, I think you could live frugally and invest the extra money into stocks, real estate, venture capitalism, etc. Not saying that investing is easy (because it definitely isn't) but if you really wanted to make even more money then use the PA salary as a starting capital for investing. Live on 25k a year and use 75k to invest.
As for the respect thing, I really don't give a dam. You shouldn't go to MD school for respect or prestige. Those aren't the answers you give during an interview. It's just a job at the end of the day.

Just an FYI as a current PGY-1 Allopathic grad going into Rads in a couple months. Got into a good rads program with sub 230 Step 1 and 0 pubs.

My intern transitional year was super cush. 60 hr weeks at best on ward months. Electives like rads were literally 40 hrs a month. All weekends off on at least 5 months, the rest varied.

Next year I can moonlight "babysitting" the scanner (all outpatient imaging centers need a physician onsite when administering contrast) for at least 50 an hour. Later on I can moonlighting reading studies at 100 an hour. Most rads programs have 0 weekends or call the first year. Second year is the busy one with 80 hr weeks on nightfloat. But otherwise its 60 hrs a week on DR rotations. IR rotations obviously more.

My point is that residency is not all 80 hr weeks and is not the worst thing ever. I get that not everybody wants to be an MD/DO. Being a PA is a great profession. However its easier for me to see how an older, non-trad (former medic, EMT, etc) can evaluate the professions pros and cons more accurately than a recent college grad. I think its reasonable, like many of the prior posters have alluded to, to have a higher scepticism for a young 20-something to decide, right away, that the PA profession is for them. Given their young age some of the pros (like shorter training time, more benign work schedules (on average), etc) are less prominent and more of the cons (definite glass-ceiling, etc) become more prominent.

Its easier to fathom a young PA eventually growing tired of the glass-ceiling that the profession provides than an older non-trad who has already worked in a professional setting and has had time to reflect on their priorities.

We have rotating PA students at my residency program and the VAST majority have been young women in their 20s. They frequently outshine their MS3 counterparts. Nearly all of them planning on being PAs while in college and all had concerns with the lifestyle that medicine has. My point is that its not all that bad in medicine despite the constant b******g on SDN. Not to mention most of the gripes about medicine (paperwork, social work, etc) will be most felt by the PAs...

I wonder how many of them would have been happier down the road in medicine instead...

Reactions: 2 users
Getting into PA school is not easy. It might be slightly easier to get into PA school than MD school but it is definitely harder than DO school.

I have to disagree. I have nothing but respect for PAs and actually was originally pre-PA myself but changed my mind to go to med school. I'm sure there are plenty of PAs that could go MD/DO. But if they didn't take the MCAT, we'll never know. It's a final weed out that lots of people with perfect GPAs, research, pubs, etc find to be the one obstacle that keeps them from getting in anywhere.

Even getting a lowly 24 (or whatever it is on the new scale) isn't as easy a blowing out the candles on a birthday cake like so many people think. There are lots of people that went to top tier undergrads that rocked their classes and can't break a 20. I know I could have gotten into PA school based on just having a high GPA and tons of HCE. There's a lot more to it to go to med school.

Also worth mentioning is that people who get in DO with a 24 MCAT are typically the people who had a stellar app otherwise and did a post-bacc.

If we want to just talk about GPA, then I actually think PA school is less forgiving than MD and definitely DO. But because of the hurdle that is the MCAT and that PA really doesn't care as much about research and doesn't emphasize ECs as much, even DO is much harder than PA.

Now if we want to talk about admissions standards at NP schools, I think the limiting factor to receiving an NP degree is just having an Internet connection.

If this imaginary person we're talking about can't even score a high enough MCAT to gain a DO acceptance then i highly doubt they're getting into PA school. What's the average DO MCAT score? AT Still in AZ average MCAT score was 26. That means they're accepting people with scores of 24 probably. With this said, i don't think there are any justifications for PA as a "backup plan" for medical school because if you can get into a PA program you probably can score a 24 on the MCAT (i would hope so at least). Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-do-average-mcat-and-cgpa-spreadsheet.1069036/

I'm that 22 yo who decided to pursue PA instead of medical school. It's not just 4 years of medical school though. Let's say I went to med school. I would want a high paying specialty to compensate for the sacrifices i've made. I would have pursued IR rad probably. That's a 5 year residency and very competitive nonetheless. That means I have to score probably a 245+ on Step 1 and participate in numerous publications during med school. I would have to work EVEN harder than the normal med student for FOUR years. Finally, I graduate and matched with a nice 5 year IR rad residency and now I get to work 70-80hr/week for the next 5 years. Man now that I think about it, I'm gonna decline my PA acceptance and go to medical school in hopes of being IR rad. /s

As for the BIGGEST con of being a PA: hard ceiling income and respect apparently. First of all, hard ceiling income. If you graduated from PA school at age 24 and obtain a first job at 100k/year, I think you could live frugally and invest the extra money into stocks, real estate, venture capitalism, etc. Not saying that investing is easy (because it definitely isn't) but if you really wanted to make even more money then use the PA salary as a starting capital for investing. Live on 25k a year and use 75k to invest.
As for the respect thing, I really don't give a dam. You shouldn't go to MD school for respect or prestige. Those aren't the answers you give during an interview. It's just a job at the end of the day.

Live on 25k a year and invest?.. Isn't that what residents do? Except they're not risking their money on the market... That living off 25k WILL result in a high income? Honestly when I battled between PA and Med school, I realized one of the main reasons I would want PA was just to make money sooner. That was it. I think if you're older then you should do PA. Its a great route for those that have been EMTs for years or RNs... But if you're in your young to mid 20s, med school should be the route. PA's seem to have it better early on but worse later on.. And the later on is a lot better for doctors... Especially with the saturation of PAs. Schools are opening up literally left and right and just spitting out tons of PAs.

I have to disagree. I have nothing but respect for PAs and actually was originally pre-PA myself but changed my mind to go to med school. I'm sure there are plenty of PAs that could go MD/DO. But if they didn't take the MCAT, we'll never know. It's a final weed out that lots of people with perfect GPAs, research, pubs, etc find to be the one obstacle that keeps them from getting in anywhere.

Even getting a lowly 24 (or whatever it is on the new scale) isn't as easy a blowing out the candles on a birthday cake like so many people think. There are lots of people that went to top tier undergrads that rocked their classes and can't break a 20. I know I could have gotten into PA school based on just having a high GPA and tons of HCE. There's a lot more to it to go to med school.

Also worth mentioning is that people who get in DO with a 24 MCAT are typically the people who had a stellar app otherwise and did a post-bacc.

If we want to just talk about GPA, then I actually think PA school is less forgiving than MD and definitely DO. But because of the hurdle that is the MCAT and that PA really doesn't care as much about research and doesn't emphasize ECs as much, even DO is much harder than PA.

Now if we want to talk about admissions standards at NP schools, I think the limiting factor to receiving an NP degree is just having an Internet connection.

Eh I just dont think it's difficult to score sub 28. The counter argument to this will always be "well you never took the MCAT so you really can't assess it" which is true I guess. However, I can compare myself to close friends who I've taken several classes with over 4 years who has taken the MCAT. Not the best supporting evidence I know but i'm not going to take the MCAT to prove a point to anybody over SDN lolz.... i'll take the MCAT if i decide to go to med school haha

Eh I just dont think it's difficult to score sub 28. The counter argument to this will always be "well you never took the MCAT so you really can't assess it" which is true I guess. However, I can compare myself to close friends who I've taken several classes with over 4 years who has taken the MCAT. Not the best supporting evidence I know but i'm not going to take the MCAT to prove a point to anybody over SDN lolz.... i'll take the MCAT if i decide to go to med school haha

I had the exact same line of thinking when I was pre-PA. The first practice test was humbling to say the least. I agree, you shouldn't take the MCAT unless you have to do so. I'm simply pointing out that it is rather disrespectful to claim PA is harder than DO and only slightly easier than MD when at the end of the day, PA has less hurdles than both. I could have tap danced into a PA program. PA schools accept ~25% of applicants. MD/DO doesn't even interview that many.

BTW, I'm not saying you couldn't do it. I'm saying you chose to take it easy and not bother (and I still sometimes wish I had too).

I had the exact same line of thinking when I was pre-PA. The first practice test was humbling to say the least. I agree, you shouldn't take the MCAT unless you have to do so. I'm simply pointing out that it is rather disrespectful to claim PA is harder than DO and only slightly easier than MD when at the end of the day, PA has less hurdles than both. I could have tap danced into a PA program. PA schools accept ~25% of applicants. MD/DO doesn't even interview that many.

BTW, I'm not saying you couldn't do it. I'm saying you chose to take it easy and not bother (and I still sometimes wish I had too).

I think PA school is more difficult because all DO schools allow grade replacement while a great majority of PA schools don't do grade replacement. That is a huge factor. Turning a D into an A will certainly help your GPA, nonetheless, several bad grades into As. I wouldn't say its disrespectful. At the end of the day, it's all pretty dam difficult. I'm not sure what the overall PA acceptance rate is but I've read on SDN that the overall MD/DO acceptance rate is 45-50% . Isn't it like 50k med school applicants and 25k gets accepted somewhere? Basically you have a 50% chance of getting into at least one medical school.

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about individual programs having a 25% acceptance rate. I've never seen a program with higher than 5% acceptance rate. Usually for PA school, it's around 2,000-3,000 applicants for 20-100 seats depending on the school. I'm not sure what's the average number of applicants are for individual medical schools, however, I do know that med schools tend to have far more seats offered. The DO program at my school accepts 250 students per year while my PA program accepts 95. There are also more med schools than PA school so you account for that too.

Anyways I was gonna ask @Mad Jack , @Makati2008 , or @qwerty89 a question regarding residency matching. You guys stated that EM is getting more competitive, however, based on this 2014 match report http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf average EM step 1 score is 230 which is 50%tile. Based on this report, I would not consider EM to be competitive. It would be average wouldnt it? What other factors are involved? From the report, it states other factors such as # of reserach experience, # of abstracts, presentations, and publications etc but how important are those for matching EM? What is making EM so competitive if it has the same average step 1 score as internal med and slightly lower than path.

Just an FYI as a current PGY-1 Allopathic grad going into Rads in a couple months. Got into a good rads program with sub 230 Step 1 and 0 pubs.

My intern transitional year was super cush. 60 hr weeks at best on ward months. Electives like rads were literally 40 hrs a month. All weekends off on at least 5 months, the rest varied.

Next year I can moonlight "babysitting" the scanner (all outpatient imaging centers need a physician onsite when administering contrast) for at least 50 an hour. Later on I can moonlighting reading studies at 100 an hour. Most rads programs have 0 weekends or call the first year. Second year is the busy one with 80 hr weeks on nightfloat. But otherwise its 60 hrs a week on DR rotations. IR rotations obviously more.

My point is that residency is not all 80 hr weeks and is not the worst thing ever. I get that not everybody wants to be an MD/DO. Being a PA is a great profession. However its easier for me to see how an older, non-trad (former medic, EMT, etc) can evaluate the professions pros and cons more accurately than a recent college grad. I think its reasonable, like many of the prior posters have alluded to, to have a higher scepticism for a young 20-something to decide, right away, that the PA profession is for them. Given their young age some of the pros (like shorter training time, more benign work schedules (on average), etc) are less prominent and more of the cons (definite glass-ceiling, etc) become more prominent.

Its easier to fathom a young PA eventually growing tired of the glass-ceiling that the profession provides than an older non-trad who has already worked in a professional setting and has had time to reflect on their priorities.

We have rotating PA students at my residency program and the VAST majority have been young women in their 20s. They frequently outshine their MS3 counterparts. Nearly all of them planning on being PAs while in college and all had concerns with the lifestyle that medicine has. My point is that its not all that bad in medicine despite the constant b******g on SDN. Not to mention most of the gripes about medicine (paperwork, social work, etc) will be most felt by the PAs...

I wonder how many of them would have been happier down the road in medicine instead...

But you are the exception, not the standard. The standard is around a 245 step 1 score. I do admit, one huge factor that dissuade me from med school was the dreadful residency. However, 60hrs a week isnt a cake walk either. Most i've worked was 55 hours at a cush hospital job and at the end of the week I was just thinking "wow i spend alot of god dam time in this place"

Whats the more likely IR rad residency length? Would you say 5 years to become an attending after med school? I know EM is 3-4 but most likely 3.

These discussions are making me think "what if" but I am accepted to a good school and my mother would kill me if i decline the acceptance lmao

I think PA school is more difficult because all DO schools allow grade replacement while a great majority of PA schools don't do grade replacement. That is a huge factor. Turning a D into an A will certainly help your GPA, nonetheless, several bad grades into As. I wouldn't say its disrespectful. At the end of the day, it's all pretty dam difficult. I'm not sure what the overall PA acceptance rate is but I've read on SDN that the overall MD/DO acceptance rate is 45-50% . Isn't it like 50k med school applicants and 25k gets accepted somewhere? Basically you have a 50% chance of getting into at least one medical school.

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about individual programs having a 25% acceptance rate. I've never seen a program with higher than 5% acceptance rate. Usually for PA school, it's around 2,000-3,000 applicants for 20-100 seats depending on the school. I'm not sure what's the average number of applicants are for individual medical schools, however, I do know that med schools tend to have far more seats offered. The DO program at my school accepts 250 students per year while my PA program accepts 95. There are also more med schools than PA school so you account for that too.
MD/DO accepts 45-50% that interview, not apply. Tougher to get the interview. I personally have never met anyone who used grade replacement. I think this conversation will get us nowhere. We obviously both think we're great.. Arguing over how tough it is to do something neither of us wants to do seems silly.

Anyways I was gonna ask @Mad Jack , @Makati2008 , or @qwerty89 a question regarding residency matching. You guys stated that EM is getting more competitive, however, based on this 2014 match report http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf average EM step 1 score is 230 which is 50%tile. Based on this report, I would not consider EM to be competitive. It would be average wouldnt it? What other factors are involved? From the report, it states other factors such as # of reserach experience, # of abstracts, presentations, and publications etc but how important are those for matching EM? What is making EM so competitive if it has the same average step 1 score as internal med and slightly lower than path.
There are many other factors to consider, Step scores just tell one aspect of the story. Another major factor is the percentage of positions filled by US grads- the 2016 preliminary report shows EM with a higher percentage than diagnostic radiology, anesthesia, and General surgery. Finally, there is total fill rate- EM had a 99.9% fill rate in 2016, putting it nearly as high as a specialty can get in that regard. EM is also a very different field in regard to how you apply- you need to get two SLOEs from emergency department PDs that rate you versus everyone that has ever rotated there. These rivals hold greater weight than your Step scores, and are a thing no other specialty uses. Finally, don't undersell how difficult getting a 230 is. While the USMLE doesn't print averages for all takers anymore, a 230 has historically been between the 68th and 80th percentile for all takers. And the rest itself hasn't changed much, so you have to be in the average score for some of the smartest people in the US, and well above the average for some of the smartest people internationally that take the exam. If that sounds easy to you, you've got no idea what you're in for- the USMLE is the biggest nightmare of an exam you'll ever take, nothing you've yet to experience can even slightly help you comprehend what a beast this test is.

Until we've got another Charting Outcomes, it will be difficult to determine how competitive EM has become. But it has displaced numerous other fields in key indicators of US student interest, so I would not be surprised if the next Charting Outcomes has it as the seventh or so most competitive field, lagging behind only surgical subspecialties, derm, and rad onc.

But you are the exception, not the standard. The standard is around a 245 step 1 score. I do admit, one huge factor that dissuade me from med school was the dreadful residency. However, 60hrs a week isnt a cake walk either. Most i've worked was 55 hours at a cush hospital job and at the end of the week I was just thinking "wow i spend alot of god dam time in this place"

Whats the more likely IR rad residency length? Would you say 5 years to become an attending after med school? I know EM is 3-4 but most likely 3.

These discussions are making me think "what if" but I am accepted to a good school and my mother would kill me if i decline the acceptance lmao
IR is going to be its own residency soon, with no diagnostic to interventional pathway. This will make it infinitely more competitive, probably on the level of vascular surgery. Year-wise, I think it's five.

Oh, another note on EM- it has an upward trajectory, and has gotten more competitive for five years running. In seven years, it's probably going to be substantially more competitive than today.

Get ready to have your a$$ kicked in PA school. I worked less than 55 hours on very few weeks of my clinical year. Most weeks were 60+ hours, and sometimes >100 if you include sleeping in the hospital while on call.

Get ready to have your a$$ kicked in PA school. I worked less than 55 hours on very few weeks of my clinical year. Most weeks were 60+ hours, and sometimes >100 if you include sleeping in the hospital while on call.
Everybody wants to save lives and make bank, but none of the kids these days seem to want to actually put in the time or effort it entails.

MD/DO accepts 45-50% that interview, not apply. Tougher to get the interview. I personally have never met anyone who used grade replacement. I think this conversation will get us nowhere. We obviously both think we're great.. Arguing over how tough it is to do something neither of us wants to do seems silly.

I think you have been misinformed about the accepted percentage. Either you have or I have. I couldn't find the official report by AAMC but a simple google search yields an article about 2013's results. http://www.kaptest.com/blog/med-school-pulse/2014/09/04/many-people-get-medical-school/ stated that "According to the AAMC, in 2013, over 48,000 people applied to medical school in the U.S., which was a record number! Of those nearly fifty thousand applicants, just over 20,000 (20,055) of them matriculated into their first year of medical school. This is the first year that medical school matriculations topped 20,000! Fortunately for you hopeful applicants, medical schools continue to add spots to meet demand for future physicians." 20,000/48,000 = 41.67% of people who applied were accepted to at least ONE medical school. 41% isn't bad really... If you wanted to target a specific school then yeah that's gonna be difficult but overall not bad at all.

I think the only real way of finding out if it's harder to get an interview is to average at least 100 school's interview percentages for both PA and MD/DO schools.

Who wouldn't use grade replacement if they had the chance to? Why handicap yourself in the DO competition?

This conversation is a great discussion. I like to see other people's perspectives and I keep an open mind.

There are many other factors to consider, Step scores just tell one aspect of the story. Another major factor is the percentage of positions filled by US grads- the 2016 preliminary report shows EM with a higher percentage than diagnostic radiology, anesthesia, and General surgery. Finally, there is total fill rate- EM had a 99.9% fill rate in 2016, putting it nearly as high as a specialty can get in that regard. EM is also a very different field in regard to how you apply- you need to get two SLOEs from emergency department PDs that rate you versus everyone that has ever rotated there. These rivals hold greater weight than your Step scores, and are a thing no other specialty uses. Finally, don't undersell how difficult getting a 230 is. While the USMLE doesn't print averages for all takers anymore, a 230 has historically been between the 68th and 80th percentile for all takers. And the rest itself hasn't changed much, so you have to be in the average score for some of the smartest people in the US, and well above the average for some of the smartest people internationally that take the exam. If that sounds easy to you, you've got no idea what you're in for- the USMLE is the biggest nightmare of an exam you'll ever take, nothing you've yet to experience can even slightly help you comprehend what a beast this test is.

Until we've got another Charting Outcomes, it will be difficult to determine how competitive EM has become. But it has displaced numerous other fields in key indicators of US student interest, so I would not be surprised if the next Charting Outcomes has it as the seventh or so most competitive field, lagging behind only surgical subspecialties, derm, and rad onc.

I presume SLOEs are... LORs? Stellar letter or evaluation...? I see. I need to look up that data myself then. I apologize if I gave off the impression that i think the USMLE is easy because I certainly do not. I don't think I'll ever take a test as difficult as the USMLE and I'm very happy about that haha. I'm sure it's an extremely difficult test and I did considered how the 230 average is based on MS2 students. What do you mean by not all test takers? What is skewing this average?

I'm sure it can't be any worse than MS3. I'll be ready. I actually look forward to that year.

I think you have been misinformed about the accepted percentage. Either you have or I have. I couldn't find the official report by AAMC but a simple google search yields an article about 2013's results. http://www.kaptest.com/blog/med-school-pulse/2014/09/04/many-people-get-medical-school/ stated that "According to the AAMC, in 2013, over 48,000 people applied to medical school in the U.S., which was a record number! Of those nearly fifty thousand applicants, just over 20,000 (20,055) of them matriculated into their first year of medical school. This is the first year that medical school matriculations topped 20,000! Fortunately for you hopeful applicants, medical schools continue to add spots to meet demand for future physicians." 20,000/48,000 = 41.67% of people who applied were accepted to at least ONE medical school. 41% isn't bad really... If you wanted to target a specific school then yeah that's gonna be difficult but overall not bad at all.

I think the only real way of finding out if it's harder to get an interview is to average at least 100 school's interview percentages for both PA and MD/DO schools.

Who wouldn't use grade replacement if they had the chance to? Why handicap yourself in the DO competition?

This conversation is a great discussion. I like to see other people's perspectives and I keep an open mind.

I presume SLOEs are... LORs? Stellar letter or evaluation...? I see. I need to look up that data myself then. I apologize if I gave off the impression that i think the USMLE is easy because I certainly do not. I don't think I'll ever take a test as difficult as the USMLE and I'm very happy about that haha. I'm sure it's an extremely difficult test and I did considered how the 230 average is based on MS2 students. What do you mean by not all test takers? What is skewing this average?

I'm sure it can't be any worse than MS3. I'll be ready. I actually look forward to that year.
Dude. No matter how you justify it or try and bend the corners or the angles, Med school is going the extra mile. PA is settling. The medical school curriculum is a lot more in depth, plus the experience you endure during residency.. You can try and justify it any way you can about "acceptance rates" etc, but all that shows is less people are wanting to take the longer/harder/more strenuous road. But congrats on your decision.

Reactions: 2 users

That is actually interesting. I think it's difficult to trust what we find on google about this stuff although you're source may very well be correct.

One thing to consider about how many get in, is how many apply. The MCAT keeps a lot of people from getting that far and probably a lot of those whom don't get accepted applied before their scores came back and found out that they just wasted a lot of money.

As a pre-pa, essentially if you have the grades (3.5-3.6), you can take the GRE cold and as long as you don't bomb it you're golden. In fact, in another thread where I was defending how tough PA admissions are (you can search my post history) I was corrected by another poster. After multiple google searches I realized that pre-PA GPAs can be as low as ~3.2 and one can still expect an acceptance if you apply broadly.

On the other hand, DO applicants can get in with low gpa too. But their MCAT better be at MD level. In fact, I've seen one poster on here with a 2.97 gpa but a 34 MCAT get multiple acceptances. That guy would have went down in flames in PA admissions. The REALLY low MCAT folks (like 24-25 or lower) had everything else stellar and probably rocked a post-bac and had something else remarkable about him/her. I don't know why they wouldn't just retake the MCAT tbh though.

As far as grade replacement, its usefulness in my opinion is greatly overhyped. It's great for that nontraditional 29 y/o applicant who wants to apply and realizes that 10 years ago he made a C in bio 101. He can retake that and wipe the slate clean from a stupid mistake from way back when. But SDN makes it seem like you can bomb half you're pre-reqs at a university and go retake them at a community college and everything's forgiven. Admissions can still see those old grades and if you do something like get a C, retake for a B, retake at community college for an A, it's not going to fly. My sources here are DO students and people I know that work at a school in my area.

10-15 years ago, I would have probably agreed with you that PA admissions is more rigorous than DO. However, ever since, it seems that DO competitiveness has gone up while PA has gone down. MCAT averages have been rising for DO arguably at a faster rate than they have for MD while the MCAT has actually gotten harder. The proliferation of DO schools has slowed it some, but even new schools have stats that are on par with established schools 5-10 years ago.

Conversely, the proliferation of PA schools has really brought down admissions standards. I remember when I originally went pre-pa I thought if I didn't have a 3.7 I was screwed. Now the bar is much lower. The PA profession used to be setup as a second career for experienced healthcare professionals like nurses, EMTs, respiratory therapist, etc. If you didn't have REAL HCE, you weren't a serious applicant. Now it seems to want traditional premeds that just didn't want to take the plunge (I don't blame them), didn't quite have the grades, or just couldn't pass the MCAT. Many schools are only requiring 200-500 hours of HCE and it can be something like shadowing or volunteering. The typical premed stuff, nothing of any real substance. There's definitely less emphasis on ECs and research.

N=1, but with my gpa and HCE, I could have easily gotten into probably most of PA schools. However, there are DO schools that wouldn't even interview me because I had a 3.83 gpa and 504(28 on the old scale) MCAT.

Sorry to derail this thread, but I'm actually enjoying this discussion.

Everyone knows MD>PA>dominos pizza delivery driver>>>>NP in terms of competitiveness. But DO vs. PA isn't something that comes up too often.

Agree with everything....except your comment that you think PA school competitiveness is going down. The competitiveness for PA school is certainly changing (grades now preferred over experience), but I would say it's MORE competitive than ever.

Dude. No matter how you justify it or try and bend the corners or the angles, Med school is going the extra mile. PA is settling. The medical school curriculum is a lot more in depth, plus the experience you endure during residency.. You can try and justify it any way you can about "acceptance rates" etc, but all that shows is less people are wanting to take the longer/harder/more strenuous road. But congrats on your decision.

I'm not trying to justify or bend anything. I present my argument with statistics and actual evidence. You just stated your opinion that PA is settling. That's no difference than someone saying that pursuing MD/DO is throwing your life away. It's all subjective. If you actually read my post I never once said MD/DO school is easier than PA school or that MD/DOs arent more knowledgeable. However, how difficult it is to get into PA vs DO school is up for debate I feel. You're right, not everybody wants to be a physician, not everybody wants to go through the sacrifices. Just because you do doesnt make you better a better or worse person. It's a subjective choice.

That is actually interesting. I think it's difficult to trust what we find on google about this stuff although you're source may very well be correct.

One thing to consider about how many get in, is how many apply. The MCAT keeps a lot of people from getting that far and probably a lot of those whom don't get accepted applied before their scores came back and found out that they just wasted a lot of money.

As a pre-pa, essentially if you have the grades (3.5-3.6), you can take the GRE cold and as long as you don't bomb it you're golden. In fact, in another thread where I was defending how tough PA admissions are (you can search my post history) I was corrected by another poster. After multiple google searches I realized that pre-PA GPAs can be as low as ~3.2 and one can still expect an acceptance if you apply broadly.

On the other hand, DO applicants can get in with low gpa too. But their MCAT better be at MD level. In fact, I've seen one poster on here with a 2.97 gpa but a 34 MCAT get multiple acceptances. That guy would have went down in flames in PA admissions. The REALLY low MCAT folks (like 24-25 or lower) had everything else stellar and probably rocked a post-bac and had something else remarkable about him/her. I don't know why they wouldn't just retake the MCAT tbh though.

As far as grade replacement, its usefulness in my opinion is greatly overhyped. It's great for that nontraditional 29 y/o applicant who wants to apply and realizes that 10 years ago he made a C in bio 101. He can retake that and wipe the slate clean from a stupid mistake from way back when. But SDN makes it seem like you can bomb half you're pre-reqs at a university and go retake them at a community college and everything's forgiven. Admissions can still see those old grades and if you do something like get a C, retake for a B, retake at community college for an A, it's not going to fly. My sources here are DO students and people I know that work at a school in my area.

10-15 years ago, I would have probably agreed with you that PA admissions is more rigorous than DO. However, ever since, it seems that DO competitiveness has gone up while PA has gone down. MCAT averages have been rising for DO arguably at a faster rate than they have for MD while the MCAT has actually gotten harder. The proliferation of DO schools has slowed it some, but even new schools have stats that are on par with established schools 5-10 years ago.

Conversely, the proliferation of PA schools has really brought down admissions standards. I remember when I originally went pre-pa I thought if I didn't have a 3.7 I was screwed. Now the bar is much lower. The PA profession used to be setup as a second career for experienced healthcare professionals like nurses, EMTs, respiratory therapist, etc. If you didn't have REAL HCE, you weren't a serious applicant. Now it seems to want traditional premeds that just didn't want to take the plunge (I don't blame them), didn't quite have the grades, or just couldn't pass the MCAT. Many schools are only requiring 200-500 hours of HCE and it can be something like shadowing or volunteering. The typical premed stuff, nothing of any real substance. There's definitely less emphasis on ECs and research.

N=1, but with my gpa and HCE, I could have easily gotten into probably most of PA schools. However, there are DO schools that wouldn't even interview me because I had a 3.83 gpa and 504(28 on the old scale) MCAT.

Sorry to derail this thread, but I'm actually enjoying this discussion.

Everyone knows MD>PA>dominos pizza delivery driver>>>>NP in terms of competitiveness. But DO vs. PA isn't something that comes up too often.

I'm extremely confident that those numbers are correct because those are the same numbers I've seen on the SDN Premed forum in the past.

Yes, prePAs can get in with low GPAs. I've read success stories from applicants with 3.0s but it's not like they dont compensate for that. They compensate with a higher GRE score and probably 10,000 HCE (5 years full time). However, these are rare cases. If you look up any school, the average GPA of accepted students is 3.4-3.5. My school's accepted student's average GPA is 3.7 (on par with some med schools). With that said, since it is an average that means sub 3.2 aren't the norm but the exception.

Perhaps grade replacement is overhyped. I wouldn't know, i just know it exist for DO applicants.

I disagree on how PA has become less competitive. It is certainly more competitive now. Schools that require less HCE compensates by having higher GPA standards and GRE standards usually. My school's average GPA of accepted students is on the higher end but they also doesn't specify any minimum HCE to apply. You probably would have received interviews to 90% of schools you applied to. I got in with a 3.8 in biochemistry and ~1200 HCE, but you got to think about how many years you took accumulating those HCE. Was it 2 years? If so you could have spent those 2 years or even 6 months hard studying for the MCAT. Score a 32+ and apply MD.

Accumulating HCE is easier but it takes more time. The MCAT is extremely difficult but most people study for 3-6 months.

I don't even want to talk about NP lols.

Agree with everything....except your comment that you think PA school competitiveness is going down. The competitiveness for PA school is certainly changing (grades now preferred over experience), but I would say it's MORE competitive than ever.
And there's merit to that argument. It's actually sort of multifaceted.

Someone with a 4.0 gpa with the minimal HCE I described in my last post but a 22 MCAT could waltz into most PA schools in the country and be autorejected at even the worst DO program.

Conversely, a 35 MCAT and 3.0 gpa probably won't get any PA love but most likely will be able to get into some DO schools, maybe even MD.

Grades/gpa are pretty easy to game. It's easy to get an A in ochem if you take it with fluff courses or take "the easy teacher". It's harder to fake being a paramedic for two years. So I would respectfully disagree that PA school is more competitive than it used to be because of its decreased emphasis on HCE. I have HUGE respect for what PA schools are able to produce with just two years of training. However clinical experience is very important and is what helps PA students hit the ground running because of their abridged training.

Volunteering at a hospital to hand blankets to the people who are allowed to hand blankets to patients isn't important and anyone can do it. Sadly, that's become the norm for pre-PA HCE.

I can't help but think that there's an MD student reading this thread thinking "Look at the peasants fighting over which is the least inferior."