Panicking, Not going to finish UWorld, one week left. help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AthleteDoc7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm in a bit of a panic. I don't know how this happened or how i let it happen, but i'm basically a little over a week out from Step 1 and am only through 50% of UWorld. I did about 25% of it with classes, then stupidly reset it at the start of dedicated a few weeks ago, and now i'm a week out and only got through 50%. i must be ridiculously slow or something but i'm fully panicking. I've spent so much time reading FA and other sources that I just didn't have the time or energy each day to do 80+ questions. My school only gives 4.5 weeks for dedicated so I'm stuck.

What do I do?? Has anyone done well on this exam not finishing Uworld? I feel I had a strong background from 2nd year and have done ok on practice exams so far (243 UWSA1, 245 UWSA2, 217 NBME19 (curve is rough)), but I'm so scared that finishing at most 70% of Uworld is going to kill me (since everyone makes it sound that way). I still have material to go through also so it's not like I can just do Uworld all day for the next week to make up for it. can anyone advise or chime in? Should I maybe skip explanations on questions I get right to get through more? i'm such an idiot. thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
uworld isn't mandatory if you know the material well enough already. I suggest do one or two NBMEs and see where your scores land. Your scores are nice for the UWSAs so hopefully they'll translate over to a good NBME score.

uworld isn't mandatory if you know the material well enough already. I suggest do one or two NBMEs and see where your scores land. Your scores are nice for the UWSAs so hopefully they'll translate over to a good NBME score.

Unfortunately I've only done one NBME so far, and it was NBME 19 which everyone keeps saying has a rough curve, and I only got a 217 on it. I plan to do NBME 18 in a few days to see how that one goes as I hear it's more representative. Just freaking out because people make Uworld sound like the only way to do okay on this test

Reactions: 1 user
That's great that you got a 217 on form 19. The borderline joke is to add 10-20 points to your form 19 score and it'll help out with the harshness of the curve.

Well, uworld is just that good that it has to be promoted. If you're good without it, keep doing what your doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend staying the course and continue doing what you're doing. Take another NBME and assess.

I would recommend staying the course and continue doing what you're doing. Take another NBME and assess.

thanks for the reply. I guess you're right and I'm not sure I really have a choice regardless. people always say do what's worked best for you in the past, but it's hard to be the one person not doing what everyone says is a must lol I guess i'll just do everything I possibly can and see how it goes.

Hey man, if it helps, I know multiple people who didn't finish uworld and did well on step 1. Just try to get through as much as you effectively can.

I wanted to ask you, as you've been unbelievably helpful on these boards lately. I took NBME 18 yesterday and got a 240, and the free 120 today and got 87%. Can I feel fairly confident that I'm going to at least pass this exam with >220? It's been weird feeling like I haven't done everything I wish I could have, but i'm trying to gain some confidence. exam is in 2 days!

Thanks for the kind words. I'll give it to you bluntly: Everything thus far seems to affirm that you'll reach your goal. However, previous posters have tried to reassure you but you still seem slightly anxious. That's completely understandable! I don't believe I can say anything that will quell the anxiety because it's completely normal. Just trust in yourself. I look forward to seeing you get your score and finally being able to put the STEP behind you!

Best wishes!

Thanks for the kind words. I'll give it to you bluntly: Everything thus far seems to affirm that you'll reach your goal. However, previous posters have tried to reassure you but you still seem slightly anxious. That's completely understandable! I don't believe I can say anything that will quell the anxiety because it's completely normal. Just trust in yourself. I look forward to seeing you get your score and finally being able to put the STEP behind you!

Best wishes!

I'm always good with blunt words of wisdom haha but yeah you're absolutely right. i've let the anxiety take over recently so i'm going to try to shift my mindset here going in. thanks again for your feedback throughout

just wanted to update this for those who will inevitably be in a similar boat in the future and may see this pop up on a google search. fortunately it all worked out for me and I got a 245-250 on step 1 finishing only about half of UWorld during dedicated

trust your prep and do what works for you, as they always say. I was never a practice question person. i also did well for the first two years, and it allowed me to get away with it I guess

with that said, all i can say to those seeing this when they have time is START UWORLD EARLY TO SAVE YOURSELF THE ANXIETY. COMMIT TO IT. it was very stressful for me, and who knows what I could've accomplished had I done UWorld a full time, or even twice. learn from my mistakes, but i'm just glad it's done with and I beat my goal.

Huge thanks to @LyMed and everyone else on here as well for talking down my anxiety towards the end of dedicated. You were a huge help and I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
just wanted to update this for those who will inevitably be in a similar boat in the future and may see this pop up on a google search. fortunately it all worked out for me and I got a 250 on step 1 finishing only about half of UWorld during dedicated

trust your prep and do what works for you, as they always say. I was never a practice question person. i also did well for the first two years, and it allowed me to get away with it I guess

with that said, all i can say to those seeing this when they have time is START UWORLD EARLY TO SAVE YOURSELF THE ANXIETY. COMMIT TO IT. it was very stressful for me, and who knows what I could've accomplished had I done UWorld a full time, or even twice. learn from my mistakes, but i'm just glad it's done with and I beat my goal.

Huge thanks to @LyMed and everyone else on here as well for talking down my anxiety towards the end of dedicated. You were a huge help and I appreciate it!

Great score. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile