Palliative then Hem/Onc?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neno911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm an IM resident in a community program that has a reserved hem/onc spot in affiliated university hospital. I want Hem/Onc. But I basically wanna leave the region I'm at to a different region where my program is not known to them at all.
My idea and question is: Can I do HPM in a program in the area that I wanna live in, and that way I can get to hem/onc there as well? Is that idea worth trying?
I believe every Oncologist should be trained in Palliative care. So HPM is not only a tool hem/Onc I believe that to be a good Oncologist I should be trained in it. It might be easier on me to do it now rather than after finishing hem/onc.
Also do you think such step might decrease my chances to get in the affiliated hospital, in case I don't get to hem/onc in my region of interest?
Would appreciate your inputs

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen it done. I think it would be beneficial in heme/onc.

One thing to bear in mind is that like geriatrics, HPM is interviewing now for positions starting July 2015, in IM residents' PGY2, not 3 like all the other subspecialties.

Sometimes there are unfilled slots. You have to actively check that possibility out with the program coordinator or director.

Best wishes.

I've seen it done. I think it would be beneficial in heme/onc.

One thing to bear in mind is that like geriatrics, HPM is interviewing now for positions starting July 2015, in IM residents' PGY2, not 3 like all the other subspecialties.

Sometimes there are unfilled slots. You have to actively check that possibility out with the program coordinator or director.

Best wishes.
Thank you very much brimcmike for your response. Do you think that doing HPM can make me look as if I tried hem/onc and couldn't get it, so I went to HPM just to reapply to HPM again?
I realize that HPM application timeline is different and those places I would apply to afterwards might not know that I took HPM since I was PGY-2, as they might assume that people can easily scramble to it! Even though that's not the easiest job especially if I want to go to a big name for HPM.
Thanks once again.

Not if you actually do it on the timeline to start the HPM fellowship upon residency graduation. Then once you have your HPM slot to interview for the cycle later than usual for Onc fellowship. That would put you interviewing for Onc as you had started your HPM fellowship.