PACS system for in-office fluoro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Special_K

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I recently started doing interventions in-office using a Ziehm C-arm. Any recommendations on how to upload and store images? We are using advanced MD as our EMR. I heard there are some free PACS systems available? Currently, we store the images on a USB, then upload into our EMR, but this is very labor intensive for our MA's. Any thoughts on how to make this process more efficient? Our IT guy has a network set up but apparently we need a PACS system to network the Ziehm C-arm.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a thought; why do you need to place these images into your EMR? You could store them on a shared office drive or HIPAA compliant capable cloud drive in folders by day and look up images if needed, when needed (which should be very very rarely). Sure you need to archive them, but do you really need to have them in the EMR? You are going to incur a large cost importing into the EMR without any benefit at all, as best I can determine.

Reactions: 4 users
Just a thought; why do you need to place these images into your EMR? You could store them on a shared office drive or HIPAA compliant capable cloud drive in folders by day and look up images if needed, when needed (which should be very very rarely). Sure you need to archive them, but do you really need to have them in the EMR? You are going to incur a large cost importing into the EMR without any benefit at all, as best I can determine.

I did upload it to the EMR for about 6 months. But was too time consuming. Now store it on a external hard drive on the laptop in the fluoro room. Every week it is then backed up to an 1TB external hard drive used just to save images.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did upload it to the EMR for about 6 months. But was too time consuming. Now store it on a external hard drive on the laptop in the fluoro room. Every week it is then backed up to an 1TB external hard drive used just to save images.
Where do you store this external hard drive? Are there HIPPA rules on this stuff?

Orthanc - DICOM Server

We needed a cheap PACs server to transfer files to from our c-arms and this one fit the bill, being that it's free and pretty easy to implement. The database/viewer is weak and it gets slow the more files you have stored. You can simply transfer the database to a backup location every 6-12 months and start a new instance of the program. If you really want to view the files conveniently you can import them into Osirix (free) on a mac. It's a great viewer and lightning quick to search.

Reactions: 1 user