Program-Specific Info / Q's Pacific University OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this your first choice school?

• Total voters
Yay! Do you guys remember when John said the facebook group will be created? I'd like to find a potential roommate since there's no graduate dorms! :)
I didn't speak with him on the phone, but I'm also eager to join the FB group. I'd be willing to be housemates with a couple people since it seems that studio apartments run 1k+ in the area!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't speak with him on the phone, but I'm also eager to join the FB group. I'd be willing to be housemates with a couple people since it seems that studio apartments run 1k+ in the area!

Yes! Same! Does anyone know exactly how much Pacific costs per unit? I am considering another school before I make my final, FINAL decision, and I have not been able to get any answers from Jon-Erik or find it on the website aside from $34000ish number per year...but I think that will be a little lower if I share room/board, etc. Just tuition for the program is the number I'm looking for!

Yes! Same! Does anyone know exactly how much Pacific costs per unit? I am considering another school before I make my final, FINAL decision, and I have not been able to get any answers from Jon-Erik or find it on the website aside from $34000ish number per year...but I think that will be a little lower if I share room/board, etc. Just tuition for the program is the number I'm looking for!
I believe the 34xxx number is the tutitiok total...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sorry, I meant price per unit! Yes, $34xxx is what I see listed on the page too

Has anyone that has sent in their deposit gotten their prereq evaluation form yet?

Has anyone that has sent in their deposit gotten their prereq evaluation form yet?
I haven't yet. I'm also wondering what the next steps are, specifically regarding fin. aid!

Does anyone have an idea how likely you are to get in if you're in Teir 1? I know the email that Jon-Erik sent out said there's a "decent" chance for the first teir but I'm not quite sure how they do the waitlist and I'm going crazy over here.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an idea how likely you are to get in if you're in Teir 1? I know the email that Jon-Erik sent out said there's a "decent" chance for the first teir but I'm not quite sure how they do the waitlist and I'm going crazy over here.

I know someone last year who didn't get accepted because there was little movement, but I know in the past they've even dipped into the 2nd tier. Sadly, it seems like it gets more and more competitive every year.

But keep your head up! I wasn't accepted last year but was accepted to other programs. I decided to take a year off to try to apply again to Pacific because it was my dream school for so many reasons and was accepted.

Hello all,

I was admitted into Pacific's OTD program and couldn't be more excited. The only thing that I feel reserved about is the tuition. I have a small amount of money saved up, but I will be taking out loans to pay for this program. I'm thinking about 80K in loans. Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by this? Or have thoughts on topic? How have you all convinced yourselves that it is worth it? I know that this is an amazing opportunity, but I can't help to stress over the $$$ part.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Last edited:
Hello all,

I was admitted into Pacific's OTD program and couldn't be more excited. The only thing that I feel reserved about is the tuition. I have a small amount of money saved up, but I will be taking out loans to pay for this program. I'm thinking about 80K in loans. Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by this? Or have thoughts on topic? How have you all convinced yourselves that it is worth it? I know that this is an amazing opportunity, but I can't help to stress over the $$$ part.

Hi and congrats!
I feel you- it is a hefty amount to be taking out in loans. I consider it as an investment. Pacific pretty much checked all the boxes for what an ideal program would be for me- small cohort size, community involvement, experienced+caring faculty, and good location. I do wish it wasn’t as pricy, but I think that I can reach my potential in this program and it will be worth it. :)

Hello all,

I feel the exact same way... it seems to be a great and well established program but yes the cost is really off putting :eek: But I think what navybeans said is true. It really does seem to be a very organized and helpful program who wants their students to succeed. And the location is nice! Which I'm sure is part of the cost too. I think it will be a good investment in the end and we will appreciate how the school has prepared us for our careers (hopefully) :cat:

Reactions: 1 user
Navybeans and WannabeOT2, thank you for your input. I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. It's nice to know that you feel the same way and that I am not crazy for thinking that it will be worth it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Navybeans and WannabeOT2, thank you for your input. I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. It's nice to know that you feel the same way and that I am not crazy for thinking that it will be worth it!

Do any of you guys know when the facebook group will be posted so we can try to meet our cohort? I want to try to find my roomates/living situation already. I feel that if I wait longer I will not find an ideal living situation :shrug: or maybe I'm being paranoid lol

I actually asked Jon-Erik that, and he said that it would be formed and sent out to us in June at some point..which seemed a little late to me. I'm looking for housing too, and I've never had to find it on my own before so I am not sure how long of a process it is haha but if someone wants to clarify/check with him again maybe they'll speed things up? :)

I actually asked Jon-Erik that, and he said that it would be formed and sent out to us in June at some point..which seemed a little late to me. I'm looking for housing too, and I've never had to find it on my own before so I am not sure how long of a process it is haha but if someone wants to clarify/check with him again maybe they'll speed things up? :)

The housing process just depends, but in my past experiences, I have been able to find apartments within a month. But I'm sure looking earlier doesn't hurt! I'm definitely eager to find some potential housemates :)

Has anyone received any further information of what our next steps are? I'm interested to see a calendar so I know exactly when we start.

The housing process just depends, but in my past experiences, I have been able to find apartments within a month. But I'm sure looking earlier doesn't hurt! I'm definitely eager to find some potential housemates :)

Has anyone received any further information of what our next steps are? I'm interested to see a calendar so I know exactly when we start.

I actually went "house hunting" a few weeks ago and you guys will be relieved to know that they don't suggest looking for housing more than a month in advance. Since I'm assuming you guys are looking to rent, not buy anything haha. People moving out of their apartments usually only have to give a 30-day notice, so finding anything much earlier is difficult. Turn over for apartments is fast, and once you find something you like, it only takes a few days to get preapproved and sign the papers. The housing market in Portland is very aggressive so I suggest jumping on something before it gets taken by another group.

I can't remember because it was somewhat of a blur, but I swear Jon Erik said August 23rd was the start date when I spoke to him on the phone? But that's a Wednesday I believe so that could be very wrong.

Hi guys. I've been accepted to Pacific University for OT also! :) Any word on when the facebook group invite will be created & sent out?

I actually went "house hunting" a few weeks ago and you guys will be relieved to know that they don't suggest looking for housing more than a month in advance. Since I'm assuming you guys are looking to rent, not buy anything haha. People moving out of their apartments usually only have to give a 30-day notice, so finding anything much earlier is difficult. Turn over for apartments is fast, and once you find something you like, it only takes a few days to get preapproved and sign the papers. The housing market in Portland is very aggressive so I suggest jumping on something before it gets taken by another group.

I can't remember because it was somewhat of a blur, but I swear Jon Erik said August 23rd was the start date when I spoke to him on the phone? But that's a Wednesday I believe so that could be very wrong.

He also notified me that the 23rd was going to be the start of orientation, with actual school starting the following Monday

Do any of you know how many people will be in our cohort? I know in the past it has ranged from 35-40.

Do any of you know how many people will be in our cohort? I know in the past it has ranged from 35-40.
The admissions page says "Enrollment is limited to 40 students. Admission is highly selective."

Hi there! I recently got accepted into the program. How do I get added to the Facebook group?

Would all of you (accepted/rejected) mind posting your stats? :) Shooting for Pacific U this year!

Same! I had 30 minutes to finish it :eek:

Hi Girl!

I am applying this cycle, and wondering what was the prompt they emailed you after the interview, and what were the questions they asked during the interview? Thank you so much!

Current first year student here -

3.56 GPA for last 45 sem. units
Observation experience
450~ hours outpatient OT rehab
50~ hours inpatient OT rehab
45~ hours pediatric outpatient OT rehab
30~ hours school based OT
Don't be alarmed at the amount of hours I had! It was because I was working full time as a rehab aide.
Other experiences
Youth group leader
Intern for a non profit organization for the visual impaired
Volunteer for the Special Olympics
Teaching assistant

GOOD LUCK!

Would all of you (accepted/rejected) mind posting your stats? :) Shooting for Pacific U this year!

STATS: University: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2 (depends on school)
Major GPA: 3.5

Not taking the GRE

Extra-Curric:
-Currently working in the activities department through a rehab and nursing facility
-Worked as a nurse aide through a home care company
- Also currently working with autistic children through a private behavioral health company as a skills trainer
- Was in the honors program for 2 years in college (obtained a certificate)
- Member of psi chi honor society
- was in Pre-med club and HOSA club
-Dean's list in college
-Honor roll for most of high school career (if that counts towards anything)
-CPR certified

Volunteer: 50 shadowing an OT in a hospital setting and another 55 in a nursing and rehabilitation center, Also currently volunteering in an outpatient pediatric setting- 40 hours

Hello! Did anyone apply after the "preferred" deadline and still got accepted? I am almost finished with my app and was wondering if it is even worth it since they are on a rolling basis. I decided to attend here last minute after meeting current students who absolutely love it.

I submitted my application close to the actual deadline and am currently in the program.

I have applied this cycle to pacific u, just wondering if there was anyway you remember what the writing prompt was about and how long it was? Any info would help immensely!

I have applied this cycle to pacific u, just wondering if there was anyway you remember what the writing prompt was about and how long it was? Any info would help immensely!
I’m a current student, still looking for answers?

I got accepted in OTD program at Pacific University for the Fall 2018 class. I am planning to go Hillsboro in near future to look for apartments near the campus. Any recommendations for the apartments close by will be very helpful.
I'm going to be living in Orenco Station, I toured around the weekend of the interview and picked out a building I liked most. Fortunately, it worked out and I'll be moving in june! Looking forward to meeting everyone!