Pacific University, Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I'm currently waiting for an interview with Pacific University Pharmacy School. I applied as ED for 2021 term. May I ask how is a typical day for Pharmacy student for those 3 years?

They need as many students who can pay the tuition, as they can get since their student applications are falling every year. Apply, they will beg for you to stay with them. Don't worry, you will get in since no one else is applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm currently waiting for an interview with Pacific University Pharmacy School. I applied as ED for 2021 term. May I ask how is a typical day for Pharmacy student for those 3 years?

I applied ED too with Pacific. Are you interviewing on October 3rd? I am wondering how many people will be there if we're divided into a bunch of groups of 10. EEK! Good luck if you are =]

Hello,

Presuming no pandemic, forest fires, rioting-looting and evacuation orders, here is what the breakdown should be:

1) You will be in the classroom from 0800 - 1530 give or take 30 minutes depending on block. In times past you do get an hour "lunch" / study refresher at mid-day.

2) Outside of your first block exam (Biochemistry) you will have an exam every other Friday for the remainder of your schooling.

3) You must get a 90 on every exam to pass. Typically the exam is out of 100 points while some blocks offer an extra 5 points based on block quizzes and study assessments. You also get an additional 5 points if you and your "assigned group" can score a 90 or above on the "after-exam" which takes place right after your primary exam. This group exam is the exact same test you took individually only now you will collaborate with your assigned group members to see if you all can have a strong base-line assessment to get at least the 90 points (thus, earn the extra 5 points). So, you will be sitting for the exam at two separate times. You will know by the end of the exam day what your final score is.

4) If you do not pass the exam, you will be required to sit for a Re-Exam that following Monday. You will be sitting for the exam right before your class time ( Social and Administrative Sciences block - SAS - every Monday after the Friday Exams). Thus, you need to get to school 2 hours earlier than normal class time for SAS.

5) If you do not pass the Re-Exam, you will take the exam at the end of the semester which is called Extended Learning (EL). This takes place between each semester. Outside of the end of Fall semester (3 week break) you only get 5 - 7 days between semesters. This pattern changes once you finish your first year and actually start working at a pharmacy site as an intern (IPPE sites / Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience(s)). If you do not pass the EL exam, you're gone.

6) The material is crammed at a high pace with around 100+ powerpoint slides by the day (give or take). On top of which you have the SAS course every other Monday plus a Tuesday course which is a pharmacy practice course (practice counseling, practice using a blood pressure cuff, and so on). So in reality, you have less than 2 weeks to learn a topic that some other programs talk about over the span of a semester (example: Biochemistry in most programs takes 1-2 semesters while here, it is crammed in the first month).

7) Many start out studying all day and half-the night, rinse and repeat. The pharmacy classrooms (2 of them) are located on the 4th floor in Hillsboro itself and is in no way joined to the Forest Grove Campus. P1s go in one classroom, P2s in the other. The 4th floor also has private study rooms that can accommodate group studies and are the actual rooms you would be assigned to take the group exam(s). The bottom floor has a mini-snack shop that students can get coffee / snacks / whatever they want to stay awake. The first floor also has a patient clinic (Virginia Garcia Clinic) as well as an optometry clinic. The other floors consist of the Dental Hygiene Students, Physical Therapy Students, as well as the PA students.

As an FYI the program planned on doing away with the Pass/Fail curriculum and start an actual GPA system of which you would no longer need a 90 point passing score. This was suppose to take place next Fall however, due to the circumstances this may / may not happen.

I can go on but this should be a fundamental 101 primer of what to expect (current P1s have no idea since they have never been on campus nor followed this schedule due to the current circumstances).

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied ED too with Pacific. Are you interviewing on October 3rd? I am wondering how many people will be there if we're divided into a bunch of groups of 10. EEK! Good luck if you are =]

Before you take out that HUGE loan, you should read my review of the program there. You owe it to yourself and future kids before you get there to visit.

Hi, and yes, I am also interviewing on October 3rd. Same with you, May the force be with us all on the 3rd.

Before you take out that HUGE loan, you should read my review of the program there. You owe it to yourself and future kids before you get there to visit.

Unfortunately for me, I stumbled upon all these forums after I've already applied ED. I'm stressing hard because I feel like it's too late for me to back out, even if I change my mind. Any advice?? Otherwise, I think I might have to go through with this track at this point. Not gonna lie, I'm scared out of my mind since I've read all this negative stuff about Pacific and pharmacy in general.

Unfortunately for me, I stumbled upon all these forums after I've already applied ED. I'm stressing hard because I feel like it's too late for me to back out, even if I change my mind. Any advice?? Otherwise, I think I might have to go through with this track at this point. Not gonna lie, I'm scared out of my mind since I've read all this negative stuff about Pacific and pharmacy in general.

Reach out now and tell them for unfortunate reasons you cannot make nor plan on attending an interview with them due to unfortunate circumstances. This could simply be a change in career plans or other nontraditional routes. It is no different then if you attend and end up not getting accepted (Although I would not try to make yourself look bad just to not get an acceptance after a virtual interview).

You saying this is essentially you not being granted an acceptance and they'd have to release your account on PharmCAS. I'd try and do it asap though and see what you're told ( I know who you would talk to and it's displayed on their site but since I am being tracked by faculty I'll leave it at that). If you have other surreal questions about the career in general I strongly suggest you see the following formats as well:

Job Market

Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth it? Here's What You Need to Know

That’s okay. See if you can drop out after Fall Semester. Not sure if Pacific follows a block schedule or a semester. PSOP student should know. Meanwhile, look for careers that have a demand in this current job market. Shadow other health careers. Ask those professional people about job market. This is your life at stake and You want to get rid of your loans as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately Early decision will make you locked in Pacific. Early Decision benefits the schools

Definitely drop sometime before the end of P1 year.

Never mind, listen to BC_9. If that does not work, definitely drop out before the end of P1 in some off block or something. That is the second best thing you can do. Once you reach P2 and P3, you will be stuck in Pacific and P4 year is way too late to drop out

Reach out now and tell them for unfortunate reasons you cannot make nor plan on attending an interview with them due to unfortunate circumstances. This could simply be a change in career plans or other nontraditional routes. It is no different then if you attend and end up not getting accepted (Although I would not try to make yourself look bad just to not get an acceptance after a virtual interview).

You saying this is essentially you not being granted an acceptance and they'd have to release your account on PharmCAS. I'd try and do it asap though and see what you're told ( I know who you would talk to and it's displayed on their site but since I am being tracked by faculty I'll leave it at that). If you have other surreal questions about the career in general I strongly suggest you see the following formats as well:

Job Market

Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth it? Here's What You Need to Know
I figured I'd be honest during my interview and explain that the pandemic is causing me serious financial problems and I don't think I'll be able to afford their tuition. I don't want to pull my application in case I do want to end up there eventually once I figure out if this really is the path for me (which I really thought it was until I did more research on the saturation). I've been looking at PA and saw they have a PA program (less competitive that OHSU). I don't want to hurt my reputation with Pacific's programs in case I go that direction.

Appreciate all your help and advice!

I figured I'd be honest during my interview and explain that the pandemic is causing me serious financial problems and I don't think I'll be able to afford their tuition. I don't want to pull my application in case I do want to end up there eventually once I figure out if this really is the path for me (which I really thought it was until I did more research on the saturation). I've been looking at PA and saw they have a PA program (less competitive that OHSU). I don't want to hurt my reputation with Pacific's programs in case I go that direction.

Appreciate all your help and advice!

To be fair no one can afford pharmacy tuition.

However, what many do is if they’re accepted they defer for the following year (very common). It gives folks the chance to not lose a spot while still figuring life circumstances. Just know though you cannot apply to pharmacy school elsewhere due to binding your early decision acceptance (this includes next year if you defer).

This however has no barrier to you applying to CASPA (PA program application portal) should you have the prerequisites and Healthcare Experience (HCE) hours for specific programs.

I would caution though applying to Pacifics PA program just because it’d be easy to see you under Deferred ED acceptance to the pharmacy program. This would give admissions a red flag when looking at your profile to that particular location.

Good luck

You do not want this. Trust me. I would not send my worst enemy into this field with this loan. It is literally criminal! You are lucky that you are open-minded and found this site. If you want to see how bad things are, you should use Google and you will see all the horror stories of debt and joblessness. I know grads who are still looking for jobs that graduated 2 years ago.

BC_89 is a current student there so he is not able to say as much as I can, also the school regularly checks this site and my thread. I was a student there and I will not say more than what my thread contains, though I can since I saw all the dirt and deceit there at Pacific.

The number one thing is to NOT BE AFRAID! The school is going to try and make it hard for you and scare you with scare tactics. They badly need students right now because they are bleeding student tuition money with all their empty seats. I know a student who wanted to quit and the staff there made it impossible for the student to quit. After a few weeks of talking with different members of the staff, the student just left. You are their source of income and they will literally lie to you to keep that money in their pocket.

Take a stand, leave while you are NOT IN DEBT. Once you get into debt, you are locked in. The school knows this. They even moved their first block exam, which was supposed to occur 2 weeks into the P1 year to be AFTER the 1st month. They did this because after the 1st month, you can NOT get a refund of your tuition money if you dropped out. The school found that historically, after the 1st block exam, many students would leave because they were still able to get a full refund and did not like being there at Pacific.

Think about that. These are not caring individuals, they are literally sending students out into debt and they are perfectly fine with that, so long as their families are doing OK. Now, think of how they see you. Leave before it is too late. I wish I had the help you are getting right now when I was applying.

Be strong and don't let them bully you.

You do not want this. Trust me. I would not send my worst enemy into this field with this loan. It is literally criminal! You are lucky that you are open-minded and found this site. If you want to see how bad things are, you should use Google and you will see all the horror stories of debt and joblessness. I know grads who are still looking for jobs that graduated 2 years ago.

BC_89 is a current student there so he is not able to say as much as I can, also the school regularly checks this site and my thread. I was a student there and I will not say more than what my thread contains, though I can since I saw all the dirt and deceit there at Pacific.

The number one thing is to NOT BE AFRAID! The school is going to try and make it hard for you and scare you with scare tactics. They badly need students right now because they are bleeding student tuition money with all their empty seats. I know a student who wanted to quit and the staff there made it impossible for the student to quit. After a few weeks of talking with different members of the staff, the student just left. You are their source of income and they will literally lie to you to keep that money in their pocket.

Take a stand, leave while you are NOT IN DEBT. Once you get into debt, you are locked in. The school knows this. They even moved their first block exam, which was supposed to occur 2 weeks into the P1 year to be AFTER the 1st month. They did this because after the 1st month, you can NOT get a refund of your tuition money if you dropped out. The school found that historically, after the 1st block exam, many students would leave because they were still able to get a full refund and did not like being there at Pacific.

Think about that. These are not caring individuals, they are literally sending students out into debt and they are perfectly fine with that, so long as their families are doing OK. Now, think of how they see you. Leave before it is too late. I wish I had the help you are getting right now when I was applying.

Be strong and don't let them bully you.

Wow.... I am speechless.
To be fair no one can afford pharmacy tuition.

However, what many do is if they’re accepted they defer for the following year (very common). It gives folks the chance to not lose a spot while still figuring life circumstances. Just know though you cannot apply to pharmacy school elsewhere due to binding your early decision acceptance (this includes next year if you defer).

This however has no barrier to you applying to CASPA (PA program application portal) should you have the prerequisites and Healthcare Experience (HCE) hours for specific programs.

I would caution though applying to Pacifics PA program just because it’d be easy to see you under Deferred ED acceptance to the pharmacy program. This would give admissions a red flag when looking at your profile to that particular location.

Good luck

I was thinking about the deferring since I'm still so unsure. And this was the only school I was applying to this year, so that wouldn't matter to me. The part that stresses me out now is that it would be viewable to other programs within that college. I definitely have a ton to think about. As always though, I appreciate it.

The part that stresses me out now is that it would be viewable to other programs within that college.

Carrying the student loans should be more important than anything else at this point. Good luck on your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.... I am speechless.

I was thinking about the deferring since I'm still so unsure. And this was the only school I was applying to this year, so that wouldn't matter to me. The part that stresses me out now is that it would be viewable to other programs within that college. I definitely have a ton to think about. As always though, I appreciate it.

Hi imcatmom, are you still going to attend this Saturday's interview?

I'm curious, even without these forums, did you not see that BLS has been reporting pharmacist job growth to be below average (and now negative)? What about all the articles and blogs about saturation? What about all the news articles these past years about Walgreens or CVS or other pharmacies closing stores and laying off employees?

Why are you still going to the interview?
PSOP, I understand you didn't have a great experience while you were a pharmacy student at Pacific. But, we all have our journeys to take in this lifetime. I appreciate a nice gesture in this forum as you would want the same feedback. And, even if it's not what you wanted to hear, I'd appreciate the same token of respect.

PSOP, I understand you didn't have a great experience while you were a pharmacy student at Pacific. But, we all have our journeys to take in this lifetime. I appreciate a nice gesture in this forum as you would want the same feedback. And, even if it's not what you wanted to hear, I'd appreciate the same token of respect.

Sorry, I meant:

"Why, are you still going to the interview?"

During the interview, you should ask how much practice you will have in a lab and what labs you will actually get to practice in. BC_89 knows what "labs" I am talking about. Rotation sites laugh at our "labs". You should ask about "GPA" vs "No Grades = Straight A's" for residency too if you plan to apply for a residency.

Good luck regardless.

I'm curious, even without these forums, did you not see that BLS has been reporting pharmacist job growth to be below average (and now negative)? What about all the articles and blogs about saturation? What about all the news articles these past years about Walgreens or CVS or other pharmacies closing stores and laying off employees?
I did see all the information, but thought my experience would be different or the school could push me towards a more successful career with some assurance towards job security. After reading this, I got too worried about spending all that tuition to be unemployed

I cancelled my interview. I don't want to invest the huge amount of money with all the uncertainty I'm feeling. Especially because I applied ED

What is the status with your ED cancelation, if you don't mind sharing?