Pacific University, Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pheelz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, first time posting in these forums. I just got my interview invitation for Pacific University School of Pharmacy for October 15th.

Who else is going to be there?

Feel free to leave any questions about the application process or advice for the upcoming batch of interviews.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I might go too... But do you know how much chance we can get in when getting interview invitation?

I heard numbers around 40% acceptance rate at this point. Not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard numbers around 40% acceptance rate at this point. Not too bad.
It seems just you n me in this thread. And everyone else is working on their application :) r u applying as ED?

It seems just you n me in this thread. And everyone else is working on their application :) r u applying as ED?

I'm guessing its still very early in the process, people will be applying till January. And yeah early decision, you too?

I'm guessing its still very early in the process, people will be applying till January. And yeah early decision, you too?
I am not, just want to get it done early before holidays coming lol. Well, are you ready? I am so nervous!

I will be there too! Very nervous as well D:

Are you from Oregon? I am from Ca, so a long way for me!

I am from CA too! Are you driving up?
Oh no, 15 hrs of driving would kill my back even though I enjoy driving very much. I will fly out on fri and back on sat. Interview travel costs so much $$$, but i am wishing it could be a good investment lol. Which part of cali r u living?

Oh no, 15 hrs of driving would kill my back even though I enjoy driving very much. I will fly out on fri and back on sat. Interview travel costs so much $$$, but i am wishing it could be a good investment lol. Which part of cali r u living?

Seriously!! I'm spending so much money on flights and hotel :(. I'm from northern part of cali. How about you?

Seriously!! I'm spending so much money on flights and hotel :(. I'm from northern part of cali. How about you?
I am from Orange County...how many schools u did interview so far? This is my second

I am from Orange County...how many schools u did interview so far? This is my second

This will be my second one too.. I don't think I did that great on my first one since I was very nervous. Hopefully this one will be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be my second one too.. I don't think I did that great on my first one since I was very nervous. Hopefully this one will be better.

A friend of mine was interviewed for pacific last year and she said it was a super laid back experience. Most of the day you're just touring, eating or listening to presentations. No worries!

A friend of mine was interviewed for pacific last year and she said it was a super laid back experience. Most of the day you're just touring, eating or listening to presentations. No worries!
I see. I still don't know why this school is so popular and many ppl want to go here including me. I want to go bz of my friend recommendation without knowing "why"? lol

How was your interviews guys? I did not do a good job on this one. I could not express myself as full of my personality n missed many pieces of information to tell them. :(

I felt pretty nervous despite the friendly environment, since this was my first interview. I definitely could have done better and I felt like I wasn't able to tell them everything I wanted to say :( Hopefully I get in though since this is my first choice.

How did everyone else do?

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone that had their interviews! You honestly shouldn't worry too much. Everyone was nervous and i'm sure the faculty realized that. Remember in the presentation they said about 250 or so students got an interview out of like 650 last year so consider yourself already highly competitive!

Which group were you guys in?

Congrats to everyone that had their interviews! You honestly shouldn't worry too much. Everyone was nervous and i'm sure the faculty realized that. Remember in the presentation they said about 250 or so students got an interview out of like 650 last year so consider yourself already highly competitive!

Which group were you guys in?
274 eligible candidates last year but only about 95 students were accepted. It means about 1:3 ratio.?So we had about 40 students at that day interviewed, a half of us would be get in and the rest would be out. I am saying it because of 5 days of interviews. The Average amount of students got accepted per an interview day is 20 students as I guessed. This makes me more nervous hahaha.
Btw, I was group C.

274 eligible candidates last year but only about 95 students were accepted. It means about 1:3 ratio.?So we had about 40 students at that day interviewed, a half of us would be get in and the rest would be out. I am saying it because of 5 days of interviews. The Average amount of students got accepted per an interview day is 20 students as I guessed. This makes me more nervous hahaha.
Btw, I was group C.

With math skills like those, they'll force you to join the program;).

We've done what we can, the rest is out of our hands. No worries!

Btw, I was group C.

I don't think you're taking into account the number of students that are accepted but deny admissions. According to the PharmCAS website (link below) They plan to accept 190 students for 2017 out of the 250 they plan to interview. This means that if you get an interview, you have a 76% chance of getting admitted if it was based purely on chance and if you take into account the people that are wait listed. Not only that, we had the first interview date, and they do rolling admission, so that helps a bit too.

http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/438 (Look under program statistics and criteria)

I don't think you're taking into account the number of students that are accepted but deny admissions. According to the PharmCAS website (link below) They plan to accept 190 students for 2017 out of the 250 they plan to interview. This means that if you get an interview, you have a 76% chance of getting admitted if it was based purely on chance and if you take into account the people that are wait listed. Not only that, we had the first interview date, and they do rolling admission, so that helps a bit too.

http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/438 (Look under program statistics and criteria)

Woah....thanks for listing that. I haven't seen it. From what I understand out of the 250 people interviewing at this school they are estimating that only 190 would accept to join the program (lots of people interviewing for multiple schools). So the ratio would be more like 100 out of 190 people get accepted at this point or 53%.

I think that means 190 students plan to accept not that the admissions office plans to accept 190 students. I might be wrong though, its a bit confusing.

Woah....thanks for listing that. I haven't seen it. From what I understand out of the 250 people interviewing at this school they are estimating that only 190 would accept to join the program (lots of people interviewing for multiple schools). So the ratio would be more like 100 out of 190 people get accepted at this point or 53%.

I think that means 190 students plan to accept not that the admissions office plans to accept 190 students. I might be wrong though, its a bit confusing.

I thought that at first too, but if you think about it, the first sentence is talking about the number of interviews that "Pacific" is giving out. It would be more logical if the second sentence referred to the number that "Pacific" is planning to accept since they would be talking about the same subject, rather than "students" planning to accept since that's a different subject. That and if you compare it to other more "prestigious" schools that are people's reach school, it makes more sense.

I'm not 100% sure if I am right, but either way, it's a lot better than 1/3 haha.

Last edited:
Btw, ED applicants would be known no later than Oct,21 from Pharmcas. And the rest will be informed by the calls from one of interviewers no later than Oct, 28. Hopefully I could receive the call before oct, 28, so that I can't loose $500 deposit at another school.

I thought that at first too, but if you think about it, the first sentence is talking about the number of interviews that "Pacific" is giving out. It would be more logical if the second sentence referred to the number that "Pacific" is planning to accept since they would be talking about the same subject, rather than "students" planning to accept since that's a different subject. That and if you compare it to other more "prestigious" schools that are people's reach school, it makes more sense.

I'm not 100% sure if I am right, but either way, it's a lot better than 1/3 haha.

But then what happens to the 90 students? lol They get accepted but not really?

But then what happens to the 90 students? lol They get accepted but not really?

They do get accepted. But not everyone who gets accepted will actually choose to attend. They will turn down the acceptance to go to other schools that accepted them/first choice school.

They do get accepted. But not everyone who gets accepted will actually choose to attend. They will turn down the acceptance to go to other schools that accepted them/first choice school.

Ooh I see what you're saying. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect that many people to turn down their offers, but its definitely plausible.

Ooh I see what you're saying. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect that many people to turn down their offers, but its definitely plausible.

What I thought was that Pacific has a long wait list and accept people on it at the end to fill remaining seats, but many of these people have committed to other schools (putting in deposits) toward the end of the PharmCAS cycle, which is why people turn down acceptances. This is why schools require large deposits, so you can't turn around and decide to go to another school since it messes up their class sizes.

What I thought was that Pacific has a long wait list and accept people on it at the end to fill remaining seats, but many of these people have committed to other schools (putting in deposits) toward the end of the PharmCAS cycle, which is why people turn down acceptances. This is why schools require large deposits, so you can't turn around and decide to go to another school since it messes up their class sizes.

All the better!

Anyone else doing early admissions?

I received a call from my interviewer today! I got accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Im getting pretty nervous:(

Also congrats!!!

Thank you! And sure my stats are:
Overall GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: 3.39
I have a bachelors degree
I have four letter of recs - 3 from science professors and 1 from my pharmacy manager
I've been working as a pharmacy technician for half a year now.
Regular decision

Good look to you! I hope you hear back from them soon! :)

I received a call from my interviewer today! I got accepted!
Congrats! That is so earlier than I have been known. One of my friend also got a call for acceptance while I am still waiting. Extremely sad! What group were u at? He was group A

Congrats! That is so earlier than I have been known. One of my friend also got a call for acceptance while I am still waiting. Extremely sad! What group were u at? He was group A

I was in Group B!

Best of luck to you! I hope you hear back soon! :)

Got my call this morning! I got accepted :)

I was put on committee hold. And I don't really know how much chance for me to get accepted.

I think it's still likely you'll get accepted since you had the first interview day! If you look at past forum posts for Pacific University, many people that are put on committee hold are accepted. It just depends on the next interview days and how those applicants do.

I'm in!!! Got the email today! weird that they didn't call me though. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was early decision.

:):):)

I was put on committee hold. And I don't really know how much chance for me to get accepted.

Yeah this early in the cycle being on hold can't be too bad. Lots of spots still up for grabs. Best wishes to you!

Hi, I'm a current P2 at Pacific University in Oregon. If anyone has any questions about the interview process or what Pacific's school of pharmacy is like, please let me know!!
:)

Hi everyone! I got an interview invite on the 19th of November. Can anyone who is already in the school or accepted please let me know what the interview process is like and what type of questions will they ask me?
I would very much appreciate it!

Hi everyone! I got an interview invite on the 19th of November. Can anyone who is already in the school or accepted please let me know what the interview process is like and what type of questions will they ask me?

Hey! Congrats on getting the interview! I had mine on October 15th and got the acceptance call about a week later. The whole process was as relaxing as a interview can get and everyone was super friendly and supportive. The whole day is basically broken down into three parts. Introduction to the program/writing activity, the interview itself and a group activity.

You'll have one interview with 1 or 2 faculty members that will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes and they'll ask you a list of questions and answer any questions that you have for them. The questions were fairly general and focused on learning more about you, who you are as a person, student and how that fits into the pharmacy career.

Good luck!

Hi, congrats on your interview!
Expect a full day on campus - you'll hear from the dean, do a writing sample, get a tour/speak with a panel of current students, do a team-building activity, have lunch, and have your individual interview with 2 faculty members/community pharmacists. You'll also get fitted for your white coat!
I would recommend being yourself and using the day to get a feel for the school and whether or not you'd be a good fit here. The accelerated program is a lot of work and isn't the right choice for everyone, so you should be interviewing Pacific as much as we are interviewing you. I'd also recommend coming up with a few responses to practice interview questions - don't memorize anything, but have some ideas in mind for things they may ask.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Congrats on getting the interview! I had mine on October 15th and got the acceptance call about a week later. The whole process was as relaxing as a interview can get and everyone was super friendly and supportive. The whole day is basically broken down into three parts. Introduction to the program/writing activity, the interview itself and a group activity.

You'll have one interview with 1 or 2 faculty members that will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes and they'll ask you a list of questions and answer any questions that you have for them. The questions were fairly general and focused on learning more about you, who you are as a person, student and how that fits into the pharmacy career.

Good luck!

Thank You very much for your feedback! May I ask what questions they asked you specifically in the interview? And for the written portion, is it done during the interview?

Thank You very much for your feedback! May I ask what questions they asked you specifically in the interview? And for the written portion, is it done during the interview?

The written portion is in the beginning and not done during the interview. It's pretty standard questions, and the whole interview isn't too stressful in general. Below is a link to questions they ask based on past interviews. Don't depend entirely on that though, because they do ask followup questions.

https://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/pu/survey/29/pacific-university-oregon-school-of-pharmacy/0

Hi! I was there too! I was so nervous and am anxiously awaiting to hear something! It was my first interview so I don't feel that great about it. Hope we both get in! :)