Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the voicemail! I got in!
I did too!!!!!! Congrats and hope to see you next year!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waitlisted as well, although I interviewed last monh. I'm not sure if they've started making any offers off the waitlist yet

Last edited:
I have already paid my fee to another school for acceptance. However, I have a late interview for PNWU. Do any matriculates have any advice as PNWU is my number one? I had no choice but to pay my matriculation fee to the other school considering it was my #2 and it came due nearly two months ago. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
This a good school for long term Oregon residents (but not natives) to apply to?

I have already paid my fee to another school for acceptance. However, I have a late interview for PNWU. Do any matriculates have any advice as PNWU is my number one? I had no choice but to pay my matriculation fee to the other school considering it was my #2 and it came due nearly two months ago. Thank you in advance!

What specific advice are you looking for?

Be yourself, know why you want to be a doctor and be excited about it, and know about recent developments in medicine and what you think the future of medicine is going to look like. If you have any blemishes on your record, i.e., low MCAT or GPA (lower than PNWU average) or are lacking a diverse (experience wise) background--be prepared to talk about it. Other than that, have a good time.

Oh yeah, know why you want to go to a DO school instead of an MD school, or at least know what the difference in the two are from a philosophical standpoint.

And don't dare say "do is holistic" - have an actual answer, and potentially an MD could be interviewing you and you don't want to basically be bashing them saying they aren't holistic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't dare say "do is holistic" - have an actual answer, and potentially an MD could be interviewing you and you don't want to basically be bashing them saying they aren't holistic.

I went with holistic, but explained what I believed that actually meant and translated it into how I would practice as a DO... I was accepted (to more than one DO school). I've also talked to several DO professors that really like it when you understand what DOs mean by having a "holistic approach." But, I would very much shy away from just saying "I like the holistic approach. Next question."

Reactions: 1 user
It was interesting, the dean at Touro gave a little speech on the subject, and he asked people whether they thought MD's weren't holistic, and a couple people said yes - then he pushed back hard on it. I really like the way he summed it up; DO education has a different frame of reference, starting with see patients as a person being treated, rather than a malady that is affecting a person - which isn't to say that one is holistic and the other isn't. Since they are heavy on OMM, he said the real difference was the DO's are trained with additional "tools" they can use. Then I know someone at a DO interview that was interviewed by an MD, and just got torn to shreds trying to answer the question because they tried to say how "DO was better because..."

I think it's important to frame it around why YOU are choosing DO and how you see it in YOUR practice. Not that one is better than the other. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to all the interviewees today! You're all crawling around campus today. Keep your chin up and be yourself. You're gonna do great.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Accepted last week. Interviewed at 5, accepted at 4. Boo yeah?

Does anyone know if there are any requirements during the summer between year 1 and year 2, or is that time a true summer break?

Does anyone know if there are any requirements during the summer between year 1 and year 2, or is that time a true summer break?

As far as I know, it's a true break. The only people I know who did anything were those who chose to do "medical missions" or those who were in the military and did officer training over the summer.

As far as I know, it's a true break. The only people I know who did anything were those who chose to do "medical missions" or those who were in the military and did officer training over the summer.

Thanks for the info!

Are there chances for summer research?

Are there chances for summer research?

I am not personally involved in any research, but I know there are students who are. You just need to find the professors that are doing projects and get in touch with them. The alternative is to develop and conduct your own research and pitch it to a professor to be your advisor. I know of a couple people who have done that as well.

So there, are some opportunities, but it's not like we have several labs on campus always pumping out research.

I spy with my Lefty eye, more interviewees on campus today. Good luck everyone!

How many more interview sessions are there?

I honestly don't know. I can't imagine that there's very many more

I gave up my spot here yesterday, I hope one of y'all gets it.

got my drug test/background check request yesterday, so they are starting to do those things

My portal updated that I was waitlisted today. Is the waitlist ranked?

How long ago were you accepted? I need to know the turnaround time for the test so I can plan accordingly. Thanks!

Forever ago haha...the first excom meeting, whenever that was - but I think it could happen at any point for anyone. That's kinda the point of doing it "randomly" and you only have 2 days to go in after they email you.

What is interesting to me however, is you don't tell them what meds you are taking. I know one thing I'm prescribed should cause a positive result, so I have to wait until AFTER when the testing doctor calls due to a positive test- which seems strange.

Forever ago haha...the first excom meeting, whenever that was - but I think it could happen at any point for anyone. That's kinda the point of doing it "randomly" and you only have 2 days to go in after they email you.

What is interesting to me however, is you don't tell them what meds you are taking. I know one thing I'm prescribed should cause a positive result, so I have to wait until AFTER when the testing doctor calls due to a positive test- which seems strange.

They told me the same thing and I was similarly weirded out. I also have a prescribed med that should have been detected, but wasn't. I've been told to write down my medications before every other drug test I've done. It seemed very odd to me that we would take the test, and then have to explain a positive result after the fact.

They told me the same thing and I was similarly weirded out. I also have a prescribed med that should have been detected, but wasn't. I've been told to write down my medications before every other drug test I've done. It seemed very odd to me that we would take the test, and then have to explain a positive result after the fact.

Any idea what this might be like for someone out of state?

Any idea what this might be like for someone out of state?

I'm an Idaho resident. You enter your zip code and find an approved testing location in your area. They give you a testing passport once you've paid and you bring that to the site you chose. The results are given to both PNWU and you (via email).

Do any of you know if i'm supposed to send Background Check results to PNWU or was that already sent

Do any of you know if i'm supposed to send Background Check results to PNWU or was that already sent
I think they automatically send it. I emailed Hope to ask about sending results from the drug test. She said they would automatically get them. I'm under the impression the background check follows the same procedure.

I think they automatically send it. I emailed Hope to ask about sending results from the drug test. She said they would automatically get them. I'm under the impression the background check follows the same procedure.

Cool, thanks!

I'm an Idaho resident. You enter your zip code and find an approved testing location in your area. They give you a testing passport once you've paid and you bring that to the site you chose. The results are given to both PNWU and you (via email).

Great, thanks!

Be aware, the place they pick might not be convient - I live in Seattle, and would expect there would be a few places, but there was only one choice and getting there during business hours was a NIGHTMARE. The first day I went (after getting time off work) they had closed early (first off my passport said they closed at 5, and it was actually 4:30, and I got there at 4:25 and they were closed). It took over an hour each way to drive about 10 miles...then I had to do that again the next day. So make sure to check the actual times, and don't go off of when the passport says your deadline is

Be aware, the place they pick might not be convient - I live in Seattle, and would expect there would be a few places, but there was only one choice and getting there during business hours was a NIGHTMARE. The first day I went (after getting time off work) they had closed early (first off my passport said they closed at 5, and it was actually 4:30, and I got there at 4:25 and they were closed). It took over an hour each way to drive about 10 miles...then I had to do that again the next day. So make sure to check the actual times, and don't go off of when the passport says your deadline is

I live in Idaho, small town, and called them because the closest lab appeared to be in Seattle. They found me a regional lab in town–in fact, just a short walk from my college–and I took care of it. If the lab choice is too far away, just call, and they can make arrangements for you. Just make sure to follow up with the location they give you.

Accepted elsewhere, wait listed at PNWU. Is there any upward mobility on the wait list this late into the cycle? I'm completely willing to hold out for PNWU for another month or so before I have to move. It would be ideal if it was before I have to pay the second half of my deposit to another school.

Last edited:
This may a silly question, but I saw when ordering a size for whitecoat there is also a sport to order scrubs. Do you only order one set of these scrubs and are these two scrubs (blue and green) the only scrubs a student can wear on campus? Thanks!

This may a silly question, but I saw when ordering a size for whitecoat there is also a sport to order scrubs. Do you only order one set of these scrubs and are these two scrubs (blue and green) the only scrubs a student can wear on campus? Thanks!
You get a free set of scrubs and a white coat from PNWU during orientation. Blue and green happen to be the colors they provide, if you buy your own you are free to wear any color you like!

so on the new student page it says we only need to order a white coat if we weren't fitted for one at the interview. is this true? I don't want to show up without one if I am mistaken.

I to have a prescription that should've been detected but wasn't. Really weird.