Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, last year when I was waitlisted I sen in a letter of intent, and then this year I sent in another letter of intent that was put with my file before the committee met after the interview, and then a DO who is involved in leadership within the northwest wrote a letter to the school advocating for me and why i should be accepted. When I got the call they specifically said my persistence paid off.

Can I ask who you addressed your letter of intent too?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I adressed it to Admissions Committee

Many schools will drug test the incoming class and I'd imagine it's not terribly unheard of in Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's a 10-panel drug screen (includes marijuana) and it is randomly assigned sometime in the spring. You have 4 business says (from receiving the email) to complete it and submit the paperwork along with your urine sample. @ryeela66

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here tomorrow. Any advice/tips for the MMI portion? Anything to be prepared for? I'm not concerned about MMI tactics just content of what I should be ready for...

Last edited:
Interviewing on the 27th. I'm planning on driving up from Idaho, but the weather keeps closing I84 from the Oregon state line through Pendleton off and on... Really worried about making it. Looks clear through my path in the 3-4 days leading up to it next week, but who knows. Trying to come up with a backup plan. I thought I was done with this kind of winter after leaving the Midwest. Blargh.

Interviewing on the 27th. I'm planning on driving up from Idaho, but the weather keeps closing I84 from the Oregon state line through Pendleton off and on... Really worried about making it. Looks clear through my path in the 3-4 days leading up to it next week, but who knows. Trying to come up with a backup plan. I thought I was done with this kind of winter after leaving the Midwest. Blargh.

90 has been closed too because of freezing rain/town trees for the last day as well...so plan accordingly, there has been some crazy PNW weather around lately

90 has been closed too because of freezing rain/town trees for the last day as well...so plan accordingly, there has been some crazy PNW weather around lately
Ugh, what a season >_<

Ugh, what a season >_<
I would defiantly leave early, I live in the tri-cities just south of Yakima and it is suppose to be rain/freezing rain/snow for a good chunk of the week. If you can manage to stay in Yakima a day or two early I would recommend it. I just drove in from Denver 2 days ago and 84 was clear and open, but I don't know what its like now.

I would defiantly leave early, I live in the tri-cities just south of Yakima and it is suppose to be rain/freezing rain/snow for a good chunk of the week. If you can manage to stay in Yakima a day or two early I would recommend it. I just drove in from Denver 2 days ago and 84 was clear and open, but I don't know what its like now.
That's the plan, my work schedule is just nuts which is complicating things.

Take an extra sick day, or whatever you have to do. It's 10000x better to have a relax day then to be stressing out running around praying you don't end up late. Have an extra day too lets you settle in and really be on your game the next day

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

is attendance mandatory? Are lectures recorded?

don't quote me I'm going off memory because someone asked this question- but yes they are recorded and no not mandatory (the actual lectures, but there is other required labs etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing from my interview here this Friday! Hope someone else gets it

The whole "fragrance free campus" bit is rather unusual. I'm not a daily cologne kind of guy and I find people who are overly-saturated in fragrances distracting, but my skin is unfortunately quite dry and I use lotion liberally, some of which is mildly scented. Furthermore, are we expected to not use scented body wash or shampoo that morning, let alone deodorant/buy unscented deodorant while we're there? The policy in the student handbook has the "included but not limited to" phrasing when listing unacceptable products. I'm extremely excited to visit, but this is the first time in my life I've seen such an odd policy. A day is one thing, but requiring students to choose only specific hygiene products is bizarre.

The whole "fragrance free campus" bit is rather unusual. I'm not a daily cologne kind of guy and I find people who are overly-saturated in fragrances distracting, but my skin is unfortunately quite dry and I use lotion liberally, some of which is mildly scented. Furthermore, are we expected to not use scented body wash or shampoo that morning, let alone deodorant/buy unscented deodorant while we're there? The policy in the student handbook has the "included but not limited to" phrasing when listing unacceptable products. I'm extremely excited to visit, but this is the first time in my life I've seen such an odd policy. A day is one thing, but requiring students to choose only specific hygiene products is bizarre.

It's really not - almost all hospitals/clinics have this policy for their staff, so this is just an extension of that I'm sure. Standard in the healthcare industry

It's really not - almost all hospitals/clinics have this policy for their staff, so this is just an extension of that I'm sure. Standard in the healthcare industry

I've worked in healthcare for years in a wide variety of settings and not once has this been brought up. My questions remain.

http://action.lung.org/site/DocServer/fragrance-free-workplace.pdf

Uniform/dress code

"because the UW Medical Center is a fragrance-free zone, do NOT wear ANY cologne or perfume."

"For the comfort and health of our staff, children and families, please do not wear perfume or scented hair and body products when you visit Children’s Therapy. Being in the same room with perfume and scented products can cause severe allergic reactions in some people."

"Bellevue Family MedicineSite RequirementsThis is a fragrance-free site."

"UW Medical Center - Roosevelt - We are a fragrance free zone which includes hand lotion, perfume, hair products"

"CHI Franciscan Health - Fragrance-free zone: Many elements in the environment can trigger or influence health and disease. In consideration of others who may suffer from chemical sensitivities and/or allergies, we request that you refrain from wearing scents such as perfume, cologne, hairspray or aftershave when at Harrison. When sending or bringing flowers to a patient, ask the florist to suggest less fragrant selections."

"Swedish Medical Center- No perfumed or strongly fragranced products"

"Valley Medical Center - Refrain from use of personal care items, such as powders, fragrance and aerosol"

There is an example from every major hospital system in the Seattle Area (I work/ed at one said hospital for 7+ years)

http://action.lung.org/site/DocServer/fragrance-free-workplace.pdf

Uniform/dress code

"because the UW Medical Center is a fragrance-free zone, do NOT wear ANY cologne or perfume."

"For the comfort and health of our staff, children and families, please do not wear perfume or scented hair and body products when you visit Children’s Therapy. Being in the same room with perfume and scented products can cause severe allergic reactions in some people."

"Bellevue Family MedicineSite RequirementsThis is a fragrance-free site."

"UW Medical Center - Roosevelt - We are a fragrance free zone which includes hand lotion, perfume, hair products"

"CHI Franciscan Health - Fragrance-free zone: Many elements in the environment can trigger or influence health and disease. In consideration of others who may suffer from chemical sensitivities and/or allergies, we request that you refrain from wearing scents such as perfume, cologne, hairspray or aftershave when at Harrison. When sending or bringing flowers to a patient, ask the florist to suggest less fragrant selections."

"Swedish Medical Center- No perfumed or strongly fragranced products"

"Valley Medical Center - Refrain from use of personal care items, such as powders, fragrance and aerosol"

Good lord, and here I thought your first reply was dismissive. I never said that it couldn't be a policy in some or even many institutions. I said that I had never encountered it. You are seemingly fixated on my use of the word bizarre. God forbid that I've never worked somewhere that stressed such things. I simply came here to have a few questions answered if possible. Is soap like Irish Spring too offensive? Do people wear deodorant?

All you seem to have been trying to accomplish is to rub someone's face in an answer that was immaterial to the actual questions. These are legitimate concerns. I'm neither looking for proof of the ubiquity of such policies, nor the rationale for their existence. I asked for specifics so that I can work on personal solutions. That's it. I'm honestly not sure why you found my amazement so offensive.

Good lord, and here I thought your first reply was dismissive. I never said that it couldn't be a policy in some or even many institutions. I said that I had never encountered it. You are seemingly fixated on my use of the word bizarre. God forbid that I've never worked somewhere that stressed such things. I simply came here to have a few questions answered if possible. Is soap like Irish Spring too offensive? Do people wear deodorant?

All you seem to have been trying to accomplish is to rub someone's face in an answer that was immaterial to the actual questions. These are legitimate concerns. I'm neither looking for proof of the ubiquity of such policies, nor the rationale for their existence. I asked for specifics so that I can work on personal solutions. That's it. I'm honestly not sure why you found my amazement so offensive.
It's really not bad. Everyone wears deodorant as far as I know. Everyone showers, washes their hair, etc.
The biggest thing is to not use perfume and cologne. There are also many lotions available that are fragrance free.

It's really not bad. Everyone wears deodorant as far as I know. Everyone showers, washes their hair, etc.
The biggest thing is to not use perfume and cologne. There are also many lotions available that are fragrance free.
I appreciate your reply, thank you!

I'm not offended in the slightest - but I do find it strange you've never encountered it, think its unusual, say it's the first time you've seen such an odd policy, and go on to talk about how bizarre it is to be more than one day. I took all of 2 min to pull the policies from the major hospitals here to reinforce my point that it's not strange or abnormal, quite the contrary. Plus it makes sense - does healthcare seem like the place for cologne or perfume? Don't over think these things. Wear your normal deoderate (as long as it's not axe), use normal sope, and don't have wafts of smell following you around...

The way the policy is enforced at most places, is if its egregious - so sented lotion, fine if it's mild, soap, fine if it's mild. Just use common sense of what seems appropriate for the medical field. How would you feel if you were sick and a doc walked in smelling like a frat guys popped polo lightly drenched in Ralph Lauren or Acqua di gio.

I'm not offended in the slightest - but I do find it strange you've never encountered it, think its unusual, say it's the first time you've seen such an odd policy, and go on to talk about how bizarre it is to be more than one day. I took all of 2 min to pull the policies from the major hospitals here to reinforce my point that it's not strange or abnormal, quite the contrary. Plus it makes sense - does healthcare seem like the place for cologne or perfume? Don't over think these things. Wear your normal deoderate (as long as it's not axe), use normal sope, and don't have wafts of smell following you around...

The way the policy is enforced at most places, is if its egregious - so sented lotion, fine if it's mild, soap, fine if it's mild. Just use common sense of what seems appropriate for the medical field. How would you feel if you were sick and a doc walked in smelling like a frat guys popped polo lightly drenched in Ralph Lauren or Acqua di gio.

Again, I made it clear that I did not come for the rationale. Focusing on it distracts from the questions I asked and turns my non-exposure into some strange offense you seem bent on correcting. I do not wear cologne during the day/at work. Considering most deodorant and soap is scented, I felt it was a question worth asking. As I said, the school's policy has "including but not limited to" prior to listing prohibited products. I wanted to know where the line was drawn so that I could make informed decisions on what to use. The bolded section is the only response that accomplished anything to that end. For that, thank you.

Would anyone care to weigh their opinion of the quality of education at PNWU vs. Western COMP-NW? I’m sure this has been answered previously but I don’t feel like searching the thread…

Just to clear up the "why" behind their policy there - Hope told us that a few of the staff, including herself, get headaches/migraines from cologne/purfumes.

It's purely a practical reason and not to "mimic" anything in any facility. I showered with Axe shampoo and body wash and wore Axe deodorant and there was no issue.

I'm currently trying to decide between PNWU and another DO school. Can someone that is currently here please talk about their pros/cons of the school? Also, did you feel well prepared for boards? How are rotations? And did most people get their top residency preference? Thanks!

I'm currently trying to decide between PNWU and another DO school. Can someone that is currently here please talk about their pros/cons of the school? Also, did you feel well prepared for boards? How are rotations? And did most people get their top residency preference? Thanks!
I am in the same situation, and having a tough time deciding between them as well.

Not trying to talk you out of PNWU in any way, but saw from your posts you are considering Alabama. I have two friends that go there and absolutely love the school!

Cancelled my interview for this Friday. It's a stellar program with top notch staff but not worth the distance for me. Best of luck to everyone this Friday.

Not trying to talk you out of PNWU in any way, but saw from your posts you are considering Alabama. I have two friends that go there and absolutely love the school!

haha yah, I've heard so many good things about both!! PNWU is closer to home though which is why I am so torn!

haha yah, I've heard so many good things about both!! PNWU is closer to home though which is why I am so torn!

I'm a 2nd year and haven't taken my boards yet, so I can't speak for boards/residencies but I can speak on my opinions of the school.

So far, I've really liked it. I think our anatomy program is second to none. Lots of hands on work. 4 people per cadaver with great professors. Most lectures are not required. There are some required events/labs/etc. but I've found that watching the recordings in the comfort of a study room is much more beneficial to me.

The professors know there stuff. The quality of presentation varies, but if you don't get something all the professors have very open channels of communication. I love the location. For some reason Yakima gets a lot of hate here...I think it's unwarranted. I don't find it to be any worse than any other place you'd go to school. The community is pretty tight knit, at here in Terrace Heights where the school is.

I'm from the West side and I'm actually able to move close to home for rotations so that's nice. I also grew up on a farm and love the outdoors, and think they've got lots of really cool rotation sites that would be adventurous and exciting.

There are things about the school that I'm not exactly a fan of, most of which I think you'd run in to at pretty much any other school.

I think one of the hardest things for me is that even though everyone is very supportive and all my classmates have been uplifting and kind, it is still medical school, and everyone still wants to succeed. It seems that there is a lot of lip service given to "these grades don't matter" or "you don't need to stress out about this" or "it's not important, I'm just gonna wing it" but most people don't actually take their own "advice". Again, I don't think this is unique to our school.

I think it's a good school, they're working their way up the ranks and are continually trying to improve and establish themselves as a beacon of education here in the PNW. You may find another school that you like better or is closer to home, but this is a quality school and I've got no regrets about coming here.

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to hop back in here today to say good luck to anyone who has an interview today! I've seen you walking around. Just remember to loosen up and be yourself.

II here today, very excited!! Currently only date is April 7th. Does anyone know if they hold open spots in the class for all interview days?

II here today, very excited!! Currently only date is April 7th. Does anyone know if they hold open spots in the class for all interview days?
Last year their class was almost completely full at the April interview date. Most were put on waitlist with hopes that someone would drop their seat. But it's still worth going and trying out for it. It may be different this year.

Anyone know when matriculation documents will be sent for accepted students?

Last year their class was almost completely full at the April interview date. Most were put on waitlist with hopes that someone would drop their seat. But it's still worth going and trying out for it. It may be different this year.
Great thanks!

Anyone know when matriculation documents will be sent for accepted students?

I was wondering the same thing, trying to start getting stuff together and planning when I'll be leaving my job, maybe planning one last international vacation, etc. - which I'm gonna have to call about - with the random UA, what happens if you are out of the country? I'm assuming you need to let them know if you are gone?

I'm interviewing here in March. I live in the midwest, so if I get in somewhere else before then, I don't think I'd be willing to make such a long trip. I love Washington though.

MMI this Friday. I'm extremely nervous. Any suggestions regarding the interview format? People that have been accepted, what should I know going into this?

If it helps, I have a lot of clinical, paid experience in underdserved communities. I'm from Tri-cities and I have spent a lot of time inYakima. I have >1000 hours of research, >1000 hours of volunteering, >100 hours of shadowing experience, and I have worked >40 hours during undergrad taking classes full time.

I have raised a daughter since my senior year in undergrad, I am almost 26 years old so I am considered non-traditional.

GPA is 3.71, sGPA: 3.48. MCAT: 497 (I know, I know)

MMI this Friday. I'm extremely nervous. Any suggestions regarding the interview format? People that have been accepted, what should I know going into this?

If it helps, I have a lot of clinical, paid experience in underdserved communities. I'm from Tri-cities and I have spent a lot of time inYakima. I have >1000 hours of research, >1000 hours of volunteering, >100 hours of shadowing experience, and I have worked >40 hours during undergrad taking classes full time.

I have raised a daughter since my senior year in undergrad, I am almost 26 years old so I am considered non-traditional.

GPA is 3.71, sGPA: 3.48. MCAT: 497 (I know, I know)

Be prepared to talk about what happened on your MCAT (thats 5 and a half points lower than the average matriculant). Also don't approach things about how many hours you've done, it's about substance. You could have done 10,000 hours, but if they weren't meaningful and substantive then who cares. Also, just FYI, non-trad is just a catchall moniker used for anyone that didn't follow a normal straight through path, so there isn't really "considered non-trad". Have you looked at any MMI prep material? Common questions? Know anything about ethics in the realms of medicine, school, etc? Those are places to start. We can't discuss the details of the actual MMI, but these are places to start.

Just received the acceptance call. Interviewed 1/20 in the AM group.

Reactions: 3 users
Be prepared to talk about what happened on your MCAT (thats 5 and a half points lower than the average matriculant). Also don't approach things about how many hours you've done, it's about substance. You could have done 10,000 hours, but if they weren't meaningful and substantive then who cares. Also, just FYI, non-trad is just a catchall moniker used for anyone that didn't follow a normal straight through path, so there isn't really "considered non-trad". Have you looked at any MMI prep material? Common questions? Know anything about ethics in the realms of medicine, school, etc? Those are places to start. We can't discuss the details of the actual MMI, but these are places to start.

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely prepared to talk about the MCAT. And thanks for the advice on not talking about the hours. As far as MMI, I have looked at a lot of practice questions regarding ethics. I'm just a little concerned about the whole 2 minutes to look at prompt and 8 minutes to respond thing. Should I attempt to fill the whole 8 minutes with dialog or should I just come up with a concise and thorough response and not worry about the timing?

Again, thanks for the help!

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely prepared to talk about the MCAT. And thanks for the advice on not talking about the hours. As far as MMI, I have looked at a lot of practice questions regarding ethics. I'm just a little concerned about the whole 2 minutes to look at prompt and 8 minutes to respond thing. Should I attempt to fill the whole 8 minutes with dialog or should I just come up with a concise and thorough response and not worry about the timing?

Again, thanks for the help!
It's very conversational based. So you can give your response and they will follow up with some questions. Don't worry about coming up with an 8 minute response, you'll have plenty to talk about.

It's very conversational based. So you can give your response and they will follow up with some questions. Don't worry about coming up with an 8 minute response, you'll have plenty to talk about.

Oh great! I was concerned it would be a one-sided conversation!

Oh great! I was concerned it would be a one-sided conversation!

Yeah not at all. I would say my biggest piece of advice - think out loud. Vocalize how/ what you are thinking, and how you got there.

Say a question is something like "as a Dr, what do you think about a patient that you are asking to quit smoking, who knows you smoke as well"

For me - I immediately would start off by indicating that I realize this is going to be nuanced answer, and there isn't a right or wrong. Now I think that a doctor has a responsibility to his (be careful of this trap - use non-gendered I.E. their ) patients and providing the best care possible. Studies have shown that patient are less likely to follows their physicians advice if the physician has the same habit. So it's easy to initially jump to the conclusion that as a doctor you shouldn't smoke, because technically it could be harming patient outcome.

But, it's also important to realize that physicians are people too, and have autonomy of their life. Maybe smoking for them is the way they cope, and would provide worse care if they quit. It's know that quitting causes irritability, which clearly isn't a good trait either.

So to answer, I think doctors should consider making sacrifices if they know it will lead to better care for their patients, if it is within reason and won't cause detriment to the physician. It's a care balancing act of a multitude of factors. Also - just for the physicians own health, they should address any potentially negative habits to weigh if they are worth it.

That is the kind of thing I went for. Walking step by step through my thought process.

Stupid question but does anyone have the link for the class of 2021 facebook page? I cannot seem to find it.

Just dropping in again to wish you interviewees good luck today. It's snowing and cold, you but you all are still killing it. Us 2nd years have a big test today to close out one of our systems courses so please excuse the mass of zombies walking around the halls. We are a cool group of people, I swear.

Hope all that interviewed today made it back home safe, snoqualmie pass was rough.

Reactions: 3 users